Pro Ju uke with preamp/EQ for clean jazz sounds

Davebass55

TDPRI Member
Hi everyone - I was happy with my Pro Junior’s sound for clean jazz when used with my HB equipped Eastman archtops. My teles sounded very thin, brittle, weak and noisy though. I guessed this was caused by the teles’ comparatively weak outputs, so I put my Fishman double bass preamp/EQ between the tele and amp. Instant success - sound is now huge, bassy and clean, and the signal to noise ratio is much better. Even with the PJ’s volume on 2, it’s now loud enough for small gigs and, if turned up to 4, is actually a bit too loud for most gigs that I’d do and is still not breaking up! Success! Can’t help digging in now and then though to get a bit of dirt. 😄

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I like the jazz tones from my Gretsch Anniversary. I use a BOSS EQ-200 to roll off low frequencies to improve clarity. The sound gets a little thin up the neck but I mitigate that with my finger style. I play my Telecaster with pickups in series for jazz sounds with high frequencies rolled off a bit. It’s not a humbucker tone but it’s just right for me. I don’t use delay or reverb for jazz.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Lower output pickups and clean boosts are an excellent pairing. Whether it's the level control on an EQ pedal, or something like the LPB-1, or even a Rangemaster clone, the whole becomes more than the sum of its parts.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Interesting solution - I'm glad it worked out. I put an Eminence Lil' Buddy in mine, and in addition to fattening up the low mids and taming the ice pick, the famous Pro Junior hum is lessened.