Pro Jr Speaker question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Some years ago I had a Tweed Pro Jr with a Fender blue frame alnico speaker. It sounded fantastic, perfect. Stupidly I sold it. Now I picked up another PJ, which has a Fender Special Design speaker (by Eminence). Sounds good, but nothing like the tweed one with the blue alnico. Through research, it sounds like the Emi Legend 1028 is a close replica of the fender blue alnico. But my question is: what’s in it now, and how might that compare to the 1028? Does anyone know what the “Fender Special Design” speaker is? The PJ is about 10 years old, if that helps. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

It's probably the equivalent of the Eminence 1258. Get a Copperhead and turn it UP!

SnidelyWhiplash, igor5 and Greggorios like this.
  3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I think a marketing description as they have several "FSD" speakers. I put an Eminence Rajun Cajun
    in mine and liked it a lot better. It even had that Fender "chime" at lower volumes.

4. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

Not the answer to your question, but FWIW I heard an Emi Legend in a SF Princeton Reverb last night and it was gloriously warm - sounded great with P90's

On the other hand, I have a Copperhead in my 79 PR and can't believe how loud that thing can get - very efficient speaker in my experience.

5. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

My PJ came with the blue speaker, but it died after a gig with poor power, and the repairers were instructed by Fender to install the EMI, which did sound different, but I'm used to it, and it is a more robust speaker.

6. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Tele-Holic

Get version IV of PJ. Delicious sound with that Jensen inside...
    Also tried the Ragin' Cajun I have, but waaaay better the Jensen (for this amp on my kind of sound...)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Alter and Ben-Zion like this.
  7. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Love Copperhead

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  8. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

You can email Eminence and they will send you the specs on the speaker you have.

9. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Copperhead here

10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I put a Copperhead in mine when i had one. Great sounding
    amp that i sold like an idiot! :cool:

11. Marshall Thinline

Marshall Thinline Tele-Holic

After a lot of research and speaking to Weber, I placed a a 30 watt Weber Blue Pup with light dope in my Pro Junior IV. I’m thrilled with it. It sounded great from day one and now, a few months later, it sounds even better! It has chime, clarity, great tight bottom and no more harsh high end.

12. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

A lot of regrets from former Pro Junior owners here.

I’ll never sell my PJ IV.

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The FSD label blue frame speaker is the Eminence 1028 ALP. Painted blue to look like 'old Jensens'. 1028 means 10", 20 watts, which is the power rating in RMS. Emis are black.

Note Fender states 30 watts. That's their choice, Eminence rates speakers conservatively

ALP means 'alnico magnet, paper voicecoil former'. The 1028ALK, a very similar speaker has 28 watt rating due to the K which means kapton voicecoil former. It's capable of handling higher temperature without distorting.

People who have had the two say the ALK is a tiny bit brighter. The ceramic speaker version is the 1058 which has higher power handling due to the big biscuit magnet which cools the motor (voicecoil, spider, former) more effectively.

The Alessandro GA10 SC64 is a very similar speaker, same voice coil but paper former and smaller magnet leading to a 17 watt rating. It's a very nice speaker, quite classic 60s Jensenish.

J-bass&Tele likes this.
  14. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed and Fender 1x12 ported cab, loaded with a Cannabis Rex.

YMMV

15. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

I swapped a lot of different speakers into a Victoria Ivy League that I have and nothing sounded better then the stock Eminence 1058. I also popped Eminence 1258 into a Fender Mustang III v.2 and greatly improved the tone. I never got to try one in the Pro Jr. that I had years ago. But I did pop in a Jensen P10R that sounded fantastic.

16. NEED4TWEED

NEED4TWEED TDPRI Member

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I’ve got a Blue Pup, 30 Watt (I think), and it’s the bomb!

18. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

I’ve got a Copperhead in mine. Loud as all get out. I also run it through a 2X12 cab sometimes and it really takes away the boxiness and sounds huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Totally satisfied my stock speaker(Pro Jr IV)..I let it break in before I rushed to any judgement.. give it time...saying that..now in my Vox AC-10 I did pull the stock Chinese Celestion out and put in a G10-Green that I had previously used and broken in...huge difference in that amp.. Good luck in your pursuit for tone..

guitarmikey likes this.
  20. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.