1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pro Jr. Question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Frisco 57, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

I've had a US made Fender Pro Junior from '94 for a few years but not played it much until recently. It's loud and has great tube sound, especially for a small amp but has always had a strange sounding harmonic as the note or chord deteriorates. I've removed the middle chassis screw from the back panel because I've heard that can be an issue. Today I removed the springs and bracket that keep the power tubes in the socket. That I think, actually helped. Has anybody heard of that? Are there any alternatives to keeping the power tube from falling out of the sockets? BTW it's got fresh J J tubes in both pre-amp & power amp.

2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Unbound tubes always sound best to me. I could see the springs and caps being problematic if there was a microphonic tube in the amp.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
    richey88, Frisco 57 and Fiesta Red like this.
  3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

No like-a the tube cages. Free them!

Frisco 57 likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Quite possible a harmonic vibration from the spring keepers. Couid be a loose element in a tube.

I've had two power tubes and a rectifier that 'sang' on certain notes.

Frisco 57 likes this.
  5. sluglas

sluglas Tele-Meister

I played a pro Jr in a band for years. Pro Jr's are biased hot And if you gig alot you can expect to change the tubes every year.
    When I first bought mine one tube last a day. Load it up with pro Jr set of JJ's from eurotubes. My brother and I both used Pro JRs in our band and guitarists would ask if that was all we were using. In regular bar situations they worked fine unmiked. Volume never went past 4.
    Change the tubes!!!

6. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

An amp from 94 is due for a full service, which may or may not include tubes.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have had a PJ two different times. Both times the tube retainer rattled/buzzed annoyingly. Just take it off. It really doesn't do anything anyway. The tubes are not going to fall out.

8. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

My Pro Jr from back in the 90's has always sounded bad....even with new tubes...but can't bare to get rid of it...buzzes..rattles...you name it:eek:

9. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I use my Pro Jr IV Tweed, as a head for a 1X12 cab.

I bought a fan from Walmart, $14.99, and it reduced the chassis temperature by 30°F. This extends the Life Cycle of the tubes and PCB.

20200814_125428.jpg

20190629_155407.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.