Pro Guitar Shop Demos - another angle....

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by studio1087, Aug 30, 2010.

1. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I wondered about this very video. The speakers in my laptop are about the same as you would find in a booteek kazoo, yet that amp sounded fabulous to me. If it wasn't for the plates and missing discs in my neck/back I would find a way to own that amp.

Anyway, the real value with Andy/PGS is if I don't care for the pedal in the video I know there is no way I would like it in the flesh. So anybody catch the vids of the Gretsch Custom Shop guitars? Drool

2. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

I have an old set of Monsoon Planar Media 9 speakers the subwoofer makes a big difference.

3. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My experience is also that the pedals, guitars and amps sound in the video about how they sound in my living room. But I've been playing guitar for 14 years and music in general for 20. Not a long time, but I'm sure it helps.

I mean yeah, if someone's a ****ty guitar player then most everything they play and everything they play through WILL probably sound like **** as well. But obviously a retailer isn't going to demo gear with an unaccomplished hack, even if that is a key chunk of their customer base.

Just like when a company uses a thin, attractive spokes model to try and sell you something, even though the average person spends most of this life fat and/or ugly.

4. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

That Luther Drive sounds amazing in the GMD demo. The Les Lius sounds very good, but not nearly as good (to me) as the Luther. Andy's the better demo-er, but my personal preference is for the sounds coming out of that Luther Drive.

5. Jimmy WebPage

Jimmy WebPage TDPRI Member

Pro Guitar Shop demos are a fair representation of the pedal's sound, imho. In my experience they have good customer service but not the best communication. Damn these demos for my $2000.00 pedal board!

6. jammers5

jammers5 Tele-Afflicted

I enjoy Andy's PGS demo's and Gearmandude as well.

I am a PGS customer based on their videos, just bought the Ltd Edition Blues Jr from them. I'll buy more from them in the future I am sure!

7. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

I definitely like Pro Guitar Shop. I got to tour their facility. Great guitars...

8. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

I thought I was the only one to notice that. He is fantastic, the guitars are beautiful, but they all sound VERY similar to me. No issue...BB King probably has the same "problem." ;)

9. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

a BIG +1 ... his demos does nothing for me !

10. emanym

emanym TDPRI Member

My only gripe with PGS demos is that the pedals (especially with OD/dist) are almost always demoed through a Deluxe Reverb & finger picked.I don't use black face amps (not that I don't like 'em...I just don't use 'em) & rarely if ever finger pick with a dirty tone.I wish they'd start doing the demos through a few contrasting amps or at least change it up a bit.At this point it's just all starting to sound like Andy finger picking through a DRRI.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  11. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I guess they try to use the same amp and guitars in order to maintain some consistency of approach. There'd be no point in demo-ing one OD pedal with a strat and the next one with a Les Paul. Using a Deluxe Reverb is probably fair as it's a nice clean sounding amp that takes pedals well so viewers should be able to hear the sonic differences between the pedals as opposed to different amp confiurations/speakers/etc.

And I agree with others here that the gearmandude vids leave me no wiser. They're only one step up from the meaningless twaddle and wa**ing that some kids put up on YouTube as their 'demo' of their own gear. A complete waste of time and effort in my view.

12. minmei

minmei TDPRI Member

*runs away from the zombies chasing after her*

I love Andy from Pro Guitar Shop, he plays soooo goood. One day . . .

and I like the format of the videos

Of course there is some fail, some of the latest ones like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6lTvpKffs the Caitlin where they put extra fluff that doesn't add to the video.

They had a this one pedal where they had few minutes worth scenes from frankenstein (the old black n white one) . . . (ok maybe it because it takes away from Andy's playing (^_^)

But I like Andy because he brings out the voice of the guitar or you get what the pedal is

problem with 90% of reviews is their amp drowns the pedal or the guitar they are demoing or the guitar / pedal doesn't showcase the amp they are reviewing

But its weird, I like to watch the videos mainly for Andy's playing. I can't afford to guy buying pedals on a student's budget anyways.

nstuffmusic.com Gregor Hilden , he is good but he is no Andy of PGS. And he doesn't show case the guitar fully, his amp settings are wonky and hides the tones of the guitar. I agree with what previous posters, but there's a poster who said BB king has that same problem . . . thanks for the Lolz :D

Maybe its Gregor has his tone nailed down so good, and unconsciously seeks that out. I've known a guitarist that does that. Any equipment new he has, he messes with it until he has his tone. Good for those bands that need a Mr. Reliable, bad for demoing / marketing equipment.

So I don't like his videos. Like he was demoing PRS guitars, but I had to look for other videos to really get what their tone is . . .

gearmandude . . . I mean he demos . . . but he's like hundreds of college aged jack black clones I run into at the local highschool and college music scene . . . turn off and tune out. But if you sit through the format isn't as solid as more polished. He plays good, but he is no Andy of PGS.

13. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I love Andys' playing, just have to remind myself that these aren't primarily gear demos, they're sales pitches from an online store. Yes, Andy "demo's" many of the features of the gear, but ultimately the goal is to convince us to buy it, regardless of quality/features/etc.

This is the primary reason you'll never hear him say a downside of a pedal/guitar/amp, every product he demos is just perfect haha. They're not dishonest videos though, which is why I still watch them and factor them into my purchases. I just have to remember than every single piece of equipment featured is going to sound absolutely amazing. Great recording, great artistic vision/direction, and of course fantastic playing by Andy.

And I feel the way many here do about GMD. The guy is a great player, but between the somewhat obscure playing and often sub-par audio/video, I do sometimes wonder how his videos are so popular. Oh well, I'm thankful that there are guys out there who get their hands on every single new pedal and make videos for the rest of us!

Hexabuzz likes this.
  14. sclitheroe

sclitheroe Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Andy made the FZ-5 sound good. Nuff said.

15. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Afflicted

At least Andy will turn the knobs. I don't know how many demos I've sat through where gain knobs get dimed and never moved or tone knobs never get touched.

SPUDCASTER likes this.
  16. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Such a zombie but Andy's preternatural abilty to 'make anything sound good' comes down to practice. More important than any piece of gear.

Jules78 likes this.
  17. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

And that is why I spend my time practicing and not watching youtube videos.

wildschwein and lefty73 like this.
  18. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Totally agree, here.

A catch with PGS' demos (and most high-quality demos in general, I think) is that these have been recorded using an amp that's mic'd up with a really nice microphone and the amp (usually a tube amp) is dialed up to an attention-getting volume, resulting in a heck of a nice tone. This becomes really apparent with dirt pedals of any sort; less so, I think, with modulation, delays or reverb that don't necessarily need the amp wound up to show you what their goods are.

That said, it's better than the alternative, which is usually gritting my teeth and listening to a video recorded using a smartphone's mic.

19. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

Yes, his playing is excellent, period. I enjoy the format, playing first then talking. The only other YouTube production I watch on a regular basis is Mark D'Agnese from Norman's Rare Guitars - short and to the point.

20. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

That's what I love about Gearmanndude, too. He doesn't dwell. He demos a setting and moves on. And when he A/B's, it's all systematic apples-to-apples comparisons. It also helps that he has a sense of humor. Most of 'em come across like hip used car salesmen. (Always men. Who enacted that legislation?)

Most demo Youtubes are just a lot of riffing that goes way beyond showing what the gear does. They take five minutes to cover a half-minute worth of info. Grr!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.