Pro Co Rat 2

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Dan R, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Any thoughts or experiences with the Rat 2? To a certain degree, the Rat is famous. A long list of musicians use(d) the Rat. It seems like a great buy in a pedal. Do you see the Rat 2 as a good substitute for a Tube Screamer?

2. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

spend a little more on a vintage one with the lm308 in it. My '88 is the only od/dist pedal I use.

Dan R likes this.
  3. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Yes a Rat 2 is a great buy! I also own a TS-9 Tube Screamer and IMO the Rat is a much more versatile pedal. Give this a listen...

Staypuft1652, JustABluesGuy and Dan R like this.
  4. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

If you have a good clean sound with your amp, try the Tube Screamer first. For something less subtle try a Rat pedal.

emisilly likes this.
  5. telepunx

telepunx Tele-Meister

I was pretty shocked to find how rough the Rat was when I got it. I know a lot of people use it with the gain low as an OD, for me it's always been too harsh and nasty for that. I only liked it when I started using it as a distortion. I have the gain around noon and it's the heaviest distortion on my board. At the level I push it it doesn't play well with chords, it likes single notes or power chords. But I guess that's the beauty of this pedal, everyone uses it differently and get totally different sounds out of it with their different rigs.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Rat? Never heard of it.

Agitator, karpis, guitarguy97 and 7 others like this.
  7. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I just added a Rat 2 to my set up. I have it set sound like my overdriven amp and add a little volume boost when engaged. I think it sounds great with my Tele and Vox AC15. I also run an LPB 1 into it some times, which makes it sound like a fuzz if both are on.

On its own, it probably sounds a little over the top when I go from clean and loud to overdriven and even louder, but my other guitarist plays a Les Paul and the Rat really helps me cut through when I am playing the lead parts.

Pants, Dan R and RetroTeleRod like this.
  8. Flash1909

Flash1909 Tele-Meister

Picked on up last month off Ebay $55.50 brand new, free shipping

I like it! classic sounds are to be found.

JustABluesGuy, Dan R and RetroTeleRod like this.
  9. thinkdifferent

thinkdifferent Tele-Meister

10. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

LURVE the Rat!!! I've used them since the mid 80's. It is IMHO the most versatile od/distortion ever made. At one time I had two on my board in the mid 90's one set for crunch the other for leads. In combo with a TS-9 it is absolute tone nirvana.

One thing I will say about my Rat 2 now that I have had mine for a few months. It is extremely touchy to set up! I dont remember them ever being so fussy. The low gain is a little harsher on the newer ones as well. But, it is still great sounding!
    Awesome OD!

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Funny - I had one of the original Rat pedals in 1988 and I thought it sounded generic and very transistorish, so I got rid of it. Now I hear they're all the rage.

12. Cosmicdancer

Cosmicdancer Tele-Meister

My all time favorite drive pedal. I've owned a few. I had a 90's Rat 2 with the LM308 that was fantastic. Sold it for some stupid reason. I now have an '85 Whiteface Reissue that is phenomenal. Built to exact specs of the original, so it's less a Reissue than an exact replica built 30 years later. I bought a used Chinese built Rat 2 for next to nothing to see how it stacked up to the Reissue. I found it to be slightly more harsh sounding with the same exact settings on both pedals, but it still had a great sound. I'd say they are well worth the $$. Go for it!

Dan R and RetroTeleRod like this.
  13. artdecade

Chances are your ears are still broke... :lol:

MilwMark likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

I went to YouTube to find videos of that pedal and yep - it's just as generic and transistorish as I remember it. I think the appeal of that pedal these days is that it's old (or "vintage"), looks unusual, and is built like a tank. This somehow translates to good tone, but I'd bet if it were housed in a plastic Behringer box people would be describing it as "generic and transistorish".

15. artdecade

So you think all the players out there using Rats are mesmerized by the case? o_O Well, to each their own.

songtalk, Agitator and MilwMark like this.
  16. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Some people might not like THAT flavor of OD/Distortion, but I've never met anybody that called it cheap and generic. It's a classic for a reason. IMO, it's one of the few pedals that can get an over the top, drag-through-the-sand breakup while still being musical and pleasant to the ears.

MilwMark likes this.
  17. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

My bandmate just picked up a rat2 because he wanted more gain than the ts-9 could provide....he plays the rat2 into his vfe mini-mu and adds the subtlest amount of garage tone phaser at the front for that perfect sounding Zappa style leads! Absolutely outstanding tone!!! Also with the gain dialed back to zilch on the rat2 it can get that tubescreamer type overdrive so the ts-9 is now off his board. I know he'd highly recommend a rat2 if he was a forum member (it also has my endorsement fwiw lol)

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I don't like the newer RAT2 units I've tried. There is something harsh and strange about it compared with my 1992 RAT2. I will say that I love the 92 quite a lot and that although I usually use mine with the gain fairly low, it's a really versatile pedal and could be used in a number of ways.
    I don't really think that it is a "substitute" for a tube screamer, but if it was all I had I could make it work for some similar purposes - the thing is that the TS has a pretty particular thing going on with the mid hump that the RAT2 just doesn't have. The combo of the two, however is one of the best sounds I've ever used. I prefer TS into RAT2 with the former boosting/driving the latter, but I think some like it the other way around. The point that the two pedals can make a great combo is one I personally can't stress enough.

awasson and Dan R like this.
  19. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I purchased a Rat 2 within the last year and it's a love hate thing with me. At times I stumble on a great sound that I wasn't really looking for but it works great and other times I can hardly find a use for it. Also, I've had issues with it not playing very well with other distortion pedals. There's definitely a wide range of sounds that it's capable of and for $60 it's totally worth having one. I rarely look for a punk rock tone, but our band will bust out Sonic Reducer or I Wanna Be Your Dog and it nails that stuff.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

To me it sounded like the distortion in the solid state Randall amps from that era - which is certainly not a bad sound, but it's generic and not distinctive at all, to my ears at least.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.