Pro 5E5 P15N

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Intubator, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    So if you were building a Pro 5E5 clone ('55-56 model). What Alnico from Weber would you chose from with closest to true specs and tone/ break up characteristics of the original 30W P15N ( I think it was a 30W...)? They have a few that seems to fit the bill...

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Suggestion #1: 15F150A (8 ohm, 50w, light dope)

The 15F150-A sports the only "A" style cone in 15". The "A" cone is that inverted-rib seamed cone from the late 50's. The 15F150-A is perfect for delivering a nice presence to the high end, as well as the big natural low end. This speaker is great for "taking the blanket off the amp", if you know what that muffled sound is like. It's not a shrill or harsh treble - just a clarity on top that a lot of 15" speakers don't have.

DavidP and Intubator like this.
  3. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Any reason not to go for the 30W version? Was the original a 30 or 50 Watter? I'd like to get some natural breakup at higher volumes... I've also considered picking up an original, there seems to be a few around.

4. boredguy6060

All things being equal, I like to go with the highest rating available just for the added peace of mind.
    I think the original was a 50w but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it.
    If you can find an original that doesn’t need reconing nothing wrong with that.
    About ten years ago Weber offered kits for the 5E5 and I built one and sold it to the first guy that tried it out. I chose the 15F150A for that build and the amp sounded amazing and it was due to the speaker. You can call Weber and talk to any of the guys there and they will work with you to get you what you want. They are great to talk to, and they know their products like nobody else. Tell them what you’re wanting, they will make the recommendations.
    Good luck,
    PS They also do reconing if you need that service.

Wally and Intubator like this.
  5. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Thank you very much for your input boredguy!

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Hammond used 'em in tone cabinets so there are a lot of 'em around.

Hammond's speaker suppliers were Jensen, Heppner and Rola. I think the Heppners are pick of the litter. You get "all of it" in an old Heppner, inexpensive, vintage and well broken in.

I have a couple P15Ns at my Eleven Room Farmhouse One Hundred Miles From Any Kind of Work. If they didn't get wet. ERFOHMFAKoW needs a roof.

Stratandtele and boredguy6060 like this.
  7. cgharrison

cgharrison TDPRI Member

Yeah - I really recommend finding a vintage one. They’re just not sought after like old 10’s and 12’s, and they sound magical.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  8. boredguy6060

Intubator, just so you’d know, Muchsx is an expert in such matters and his recommendations will never steer you wrong.
    Any advise from him is money in the bank.

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think he hit it pretty close with that suggestion, but the 30w is probably more accurate to original. I would go 50w though.
    However, when my buddy played in the band years ago he had 54-55 Pro with the P15N in it. The amp has plenty of breakup on it's own it seemed to me. It had some trouble cutting through the band mix at times and definitely had trouble keeping up with my BFDR. But we played pretty loud back then ~2005. Today it would be fine.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, the original P15N was maybe a 20 watt speaker. 30 watts??? I doubt it.

are you building a 5E5 or a 5E5A? They are different animals. The 5E5 is in effect a 5E3 Deluxe circuit that uses bigger trannies and 6L6’s. The 5E5A has a more complex tone circuit and fixed bias....more output and a different preamp sound, ime.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  11. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

its a 5E5/ 5E3 hybrid with switching for 6V6 or 6L6 tubes. I currently have two Weber 10A125's in there now which sound great with either tube set but i'm looking for a little more bass and more of a 5E5 sound with the 6L6's in.

Wally likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

For more low end I would go the 50 watter.

Wally likes this.
  13. Wally

And...that is where the 5E5A came in....bigger, firmer, great low end. Have you thought about having a switch to go from cathode to fixed biasing? That will firm it up on the low end, ime.

Intubator likes this.
  14. Wally

I have only one vintage P15N...and it sits in the Md. 6 Birch A cab Alamo that I just got back online....OEM speaker to that amp. I do have a cool 15” Utah Alnico that appears to be in the same vein as a P15N as far as magnet size goes. However, it needs a redone.

Intubator likes this.
  15. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Well so far I have integrated a 6L6/6V6 toggle, a three way NFB switch with shielded cable, and a master volume. I have it wired up with a sole "tone" control where it says treble on the chassis but I intend to maybe add in a true treble/Bass control to maybe get some mid scoop and plus It is already printed on the chassis... LOL..
    Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out the how and where to integrate it into the circuit without changing much of the true character of either the 5E5 or 5E3. I may very well leave it as is..
    The PT is a Classic Tone 35W with toggled voltage switching (ground center tap) I integrated that does 395V or 350V. The OT is a special 28 W MM that has a dual primary impedance's for either 5E3 or 5E5 output selection, which I integrated on the same toggle switch for the PT but on separate throw. The chassis is from an 5E5A, I chose that because I knew I would be integrating some switches and needed the spaces. The cab is a Mojo Twin. All in all, it all has fit really well into the cab/ chassis and it really sounds great with either tube set. Either way, I approached the project wanting the 5E5 character to shine with the 6L6's and 5u4 rec and I kinda feel that will require a correct 15" speaker vs the 2 10"S... The cab was bare tweed when I received it so I shot it with a light coat of nitrocellulose followed by two coats of Zenser Amber Shellac followed by a light coat of the nitro again. Was done with an HVLP auto spray gun with both coatings and reduced by about 50% with solvent. Here's a few pics:

20191018_150326_resized.jpg

20191018_150348_resized.jpg 20190915_180045_resized.jpg

Wally likes this.
  16. Wally

79516E79-04A4-4F41-AFB6-1C4D137ECBA1.jpeg I forgot...I have one more amp that has its OEM P15N...along with two very small Jensen Alnico on a passive crossover.....
    Premier Super 88....

it seems I am fond of 15” speakers.....or by chance have ended up with the Premier, the Alamo Md. 6, a 1966 Alamo Fury, a Fender 75 with a 15, and my prototype ‘63 Pro.
    Good luck with the map there....sharp looking and I am sure it sounds as good as it looks!

mad dog likes this.
  17. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Thanks man! I love that amp! Especially the arrowhead ends of the leather handle. Very cool!

Wally likes this.
  18. Wally

Intubator, the sounds that are available with this Premier are amazing. This is the last version AFAIK. It runs cathode biased 6550’s. And yes....it will do “Rumble” exactly the way it was recorded. All you have to do is use only the high freq tone selector...the far right of those 5 paddles.

Intubator likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Cooder was using a Premier that looked suspiciously like that one when I saw him summer ‘18

20. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

I didn't know Link recorded that on a Premiere.. Very cool! Listening to the original recording it's very hard to tell exactly how he got that sound... But that sound is great and that dude could play!
    About twenty years ago my dad who is a drummer in Nebraska saw Link at the Zoo bar in Lincoln. He tells me Link drove up in an old Caddy with his wife, unpacked his amp and some gear, set up and asked my dad to adjust his amp during a sound check. He said to "turn it up to five or so", he hit a chord then said "turn it up some more". He turned it up to eight, Link hit another chord and said "turn it up more". Dad dimed it, Link hit a chord and said "Ok, thats good"... LOL. He evidently used to travel to venues during that period and play with the house musicians vs traveling with a full band. I wish I had seen him play in person. Love a bunch of his stuff but especially "Rumble". The first Power Chord rock instrumental from the 50's!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.