privacy settings, again

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kplamann, Sep 25, 2020.

1. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

A couple of months ago, the blue "privacy" wheel was introduced (at least for members accessing the forum from Europe). I usually turn everything "off" and object to the "legitimate interest" options.

A couple of weeks ago I discovered that most of the time, the settings switch to "on" between sessions and the objections get removed although I allow the page to set cookies. This is independent of the login status. I now painstakingly switch everything off at the beginning of each session (which may be too late to prevent the system to obtain the private information it collects).

I now discover that the setting allowing "Precise geolocalization data and identification through device scanning" comes "on" again immediately after I switch it off. There is no way anymore to have it permanently "off".

I do not want anybody to localise me or to scan my devices.

What is up with this? What is the experinence of fellow European forum members?

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Private individuals I’d be worried about but believe me if you’re on any device someone is analyzing the data, any DEVICE from a cellphone to computers to an automobile

Can’t help with your question

3. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Do not have this problem.

Delete all the cookies. Set your browser to "accept cookies only from originating site".

Press blue wheel. Default should be all off if you press to save the settings and don't press "I agree".

4. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Thanks.

I don't have any particular illusions about privacy, but here I have the option to opt out of a number of things.

Except I haven't.

I deleted all cookies and re-accessed the page. The default configuration is indeed that the options are "off". I then login and the option with "precise geolocalization" and "device scanning" is on and won't stay off after "save & exit".

Mirrors on the ceiling
    The pink champagne on ice
    And she said, "We are all just prisoners here of our own device"

5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

The site isn't doing anything it wasn't doing before, but now it has to tell us. Adblockers stop 90% of unwanted "visitors".

radiocaster likes this.
  6. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

I can accept the idea of ads funding a site and therefore do not block them. However, I do appreciate the transparency obligations the new European laws impose and if I have the option to opt out of specific ways to access and use my data I would like it to work.

Bill likes this.
  7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I would like it if it worked too, but it doesn't.

8. kplamann

kplamann Tele-Holic

Do you have the same problem with the first option always switching back to "on"?

9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Yes.

10. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Being in the US I don't have the issues you do, but Firefox allows you to set up a VPN, which I'm thinking would accomplish your goal. The uBlock add on blocks pop up adds very effectively.

11. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Give up on the idea of privacy. When I drive, traffic warnings pop up on my display screen based on where I'm going. A secret brain in my car has stored the routes I use at what time of day and even prompts reroutes before I enter the roadway with the problem. This happens even without my turning the nav on. At first you think, that's cool, but then you realize that law enforcement or for that matter, any good hacker, can access that information. We've traded our privacy and our sense of personal security away to save 5 minutes on the way to work.

That's in my car. My employer monitors my laptop and cell phone. Everything I do on my computer is monitored. I can get rid of cookies but not the spies who plant them. George Orwell thought he was writing about the evils of a competing social and economic system. Or maybe he knew something we hadn't thought of yet.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

True, even the Egyptians are at it, they’ll have all of the stuff off your abacus before you notice.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I drove from out West near Heathrow to home, just North of London the other week. Right through the city. I was an image, and probably recorded, on one or other CCTV camera from beginning to end.

14. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

It could be the browser you are using. I am finding way too often that the problem is on my end, not theirs. I use FF.They have a hidden options page. That is where you will find the "Global location" settings. This page is hidden for a reason. It is the nervous system of the Browser. One wrong move, and you are, , well. Just say you'll be sorry.
    Disclaimer posted when this link is clicked, "Are you sure you want to do this?" about:config

btw, I never upgrade my browser for a couple days after release. I read the FF forum to see if it is "safe" They had a HUGE disaster a few patches back. Had my shorts in a bind for 4 days.

15. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Privacy? How quaint.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.