Privacy. A Relic Of The Past.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by arlum, Jan 17, 2020.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Privacy. A Relic from the past. This is my greatest issue with the modern age. Privacy is virtually impossible. Between the internet, GPS, orbiting watchdogs, insurance companies tracking your driving habits, cell phone tracking and stored personal information, etc. etc. privacy is a thing of the past.
    Because I want to be fair I'll admit that when it comes to safety, emergency response time, never being lost, always knowing which direction to go to get where your going, transferring health records between health care providers, online educational resources and being identified and directed to like minded individuals that share your opinions, .... well ..... there are many pluses.

Still ..... I miss privacy.

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

My father-in-law is upset because his new Toyota alerts him to a traffic accident in 1/4 mile. He said, “They know where my car is... they know where I am.”

Like you said, he knows he can turn it off, but the benefit of GPS outweighs his concerns.

It’s the world we live in.

Greggorios and Stringbanger like this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Rule Number One for Privacy: Don't use the internet.

4. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

I hate relics, they are fake and phony and ... oops, wrong kind of relic. Why don’t you wear out your privacy naturally like everyone else??? :D

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

It's not the lack of privacy that concerns me, it's the willingness of private citizens and big companies alike to use new technology without proper testing. Inaccurate facial recognition software, easily hackable doorbell cams, skynet ;)

But seriously, we as a culture have traded privacy for convenience at a rapid pace, and the pacing is what's so concerning. The only reason it's not "a bigger deal" is that its largely accepted. 10 years ago, I wouldn't want extra tracking cookies on my PC, let alone my phone. Now? I just want the popups not so big.......

Within 15 years, you'll be branded a loon if you complain about google satellites catching you pee in the woods.......

Mad Kiwi, TeleTucson, Nubs and 3 others like this.
  6. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Privacy has been gone for a long time, but if it makes you feel better, most people are far too incompetent to be able to use it against you in a very meaningful way. There's also unintended plus sides - yeah, its much more common now that someone can hack your bank card info and take a little money that you'll get reimbursed for anyway, but now also robberies and muggings are on the decline because people don't carry cash and you're way more likely to get caught that way. Plus, now that people can see the naked pictures on my phone I don't have to worry about shutting the bathroom door anymore.

7. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

Well you can take steps,

Signal app for messaging/phone etc instead of the standard android or apple messaging app, which they track and keep every keystroke. Even Signal cannot get your messages. Open source. Other folks need to be on it too, otherwise, consider everything and anything to post to be public domain.
    ProtonMail for your email, open source, and again, even ProtonMail cannot read your emails. Best if folks on the other end are using the same, but the best privacy you can get for email otherwise IMO.
    DuckDuckGo app for private search engine/browser
    Using a quality VPN is a big help as well, not the freebies you see.

In short, if it is owned by google, apple, facebook, microsoft, or any other of the "big tech" companies, it's just info you are giving them to sell and market and track you. With non open source software, there is no way to be certain what, exactly, they are doing with your info. Facebook has been caught repeatedly saying one thing about how to be private with their software only to be found out they are lying again and again. Their apps are even shown to find and identify and track your usage of other apps on your phone or computer. Open source doesn't always mean the right choice, but generally is, and at least its being checked daily by programmers all over the world for security issues.

As for phones, and they are still in early stages, and I'd wait another 6-12 months before I may get one myself, for all their software to catch up, is the Purism Librem 5 phone. Zero tracking here.

Norris Vulcan likes this.
  8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

GPS is a one-way system. The only thing that knows where you are is the receiver.

Again, same thing. Traffic data is transmitted in a side channel of FM radio broadcasts, same as the name of the station you're listening to and the song artist and title. The computer in your dashboard puts that together with the position it gets from GPS and voila, you get a notification.

telesketch, MarkieMark and Ignatius like this.
  9. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Meister

You are electing into each of these invasions of privacy for convenience.

Endless Mike and nojazzhere like this.
  10. pickaguitar

pickaguitar Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't like how many of the uniformed are so willing to trade it all in.

The thread about car insurance monitoring my driving habits shocked me with how many are willing to play along.

11. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

There's no reason anybody has to accept it. It's easy to regulate what information companies can legally collect. I don't understand the people who say they don't like it, but then claim there's nothing anybody can do about it. Maybe that's what they call "learned helplessness". Or perhaps those people secretly like living in a surveillance society, but are embarrassed to admit it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Greggorios and Endless Mike like this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I understand and more or less agree with your points, but I don't feel particularly "invaded" in my life. I don't have a smart phone, I don't use the Alexa in my Fire stick, I don't have a car with tracking "stuff" in it, etc., I know Amazon tracks my Prime purchases, but I only buy what I want, and ads don't really affect me. If someone flies a drone over my yard I've got a powerful garden hose sprayer, or a pellet gun.
    Maybe I'm naive.....but I just don't feel the "angst" that many do. Explain why I'm wrong.

13. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Actually, it's up to the banks whether they reimburse you or not. They don't legally have to, AFAIK.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I wish I had time to waste shooting water at drones or shooting guns into the air. I'd rather they pass laws to restrict drones to a specific air space.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

(From Pink Floyd’s “Relics”)

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree entirely. The only problem is, laws to restrict things have no effect if there's no penalty to enforce them. Your solution is absolutely the most civilized and "legal"......my solution actually "works." ;)

Greggorios and Wallo Tweed like this.
  17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What if I leave my phone behind when I go for a hike? Mebbe I should hike nekkid just to be on the safe side.

imwjl likes this.
  18. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Meister

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    -Ben Franklin

Greggorios, arlum and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Doesn't matter if you talk in front of most phones, next time you turn on your phone to use the internet you'll get ads for what you were talking about.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.