1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Printing Waterslide Decals

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by peterbilt1101, Feb 28, 2014.

1. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

So I bought a pack of Waterslide decal paper from hobby lobby and had some problems. The ink smeared and even when left overnight to dry, it was still wet after 10+ hours. I just now noticed the paper says you need to use a printer with iron oxide toner only, so surely that will exclude my epson printers at home. Which is likely why I am having problems.

Can anyone tell me exactly what I should be buying here? I would really like to find something locally. Where else should I check? Maybe Michael's?

2. Toadman2230

Toadman2230 TDPRI Member

I use Supercal decal paper that I purchase online, and just use my HP inkjet to print. I let the decal dry for half an hour or so and spray a couple of coats of Krylon clear poly over it to seal the ink in.

3. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

Inkjet printers use ink.

Ink is fairly self explanatory, and typically only works on porous surfaces. Decal paper for inkjets does exist.

Laserjet printers use toner.

Toner is a mixture of pigment (iron black, eg ferrous oxide, being one) and a heat sensitive binder. The toner is deposited in the proper shapes/symbols via an electric charge, and then fixed in place by being heated and melted.

Decal paper intended for laser printers will not work with inkjet printers, and some will not work with laser colors.

4. peterbilt1101

peterbilt1101 Tele-Holic

Right. So what's a good source for inkjet waterslide paper? Any chance of finding it at a local place or should I just go straight to the web?

5. Meshgearfox

Meshgearfox Tele-Meister

Try a hobby shop that sells remote control cars/ planes.

6. Crawfish

Crawfish Tele-Afflicted

7. lee2112

lee2112 TDPRI Member

I have a pack that I got a few years ago from Hobby Lobby that is inkjet decal paper. Testors No. 9201. 6 sheets of 5.5" x 8.5". I've used it for pedals, amps and guitars I've built although I've only ever printed in black. Once it's dried you need to lock the ink in. I know they sell some product specifically for this but all I've used has been a few mist coats of clear lacquer.

As mentioned an RC/model hobby store would be a great place to check. I've bought a number of tools from the RC shop in town since they are the only ones carrying the tiny tools we DIY guitarists find we need.

Lee

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.