Princeton vs Vibrolux vs Super, when mic'ed

AJBaker

Friend of Leo's
I'd go for a Vibrolux Reverb in your position. You get the sound and feel of the bigger 6L6 tubes, with enough bass and headroom, but in a compact package that weighs no more than my Vox AC15.

Personally, I think it's the 'perfect' Fender BF/SF amp. That typical Fender clean sound with 30-40w of power behind it, but easy to carry. When driven, I find they have a some decent compression and grind, that sounds very musical.

Princetons are cool, but are their own thing. With a singe 10" and only 15w, you won't get the same cleans, spread or 'thump', but you will be able to push it harder more often.

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
Another option is some custom builders - Little Dawg and perhaps others - make Princeton-Revs but use the long tail pair phase invertor which will give you more of the Super-Rev tone at lower volume. Or convert a Mojotone Princeton-Rev kit by eliminating the vibrato. The 4 preamp tube sockets would be sufficient.
Instead of going to all of that trouble, I'd personally just go with a DR, and probably swap in a 2X10 baffle board. And to keep my options wide open with choices of 10" speakers, I'd personally swap in an OT with a 4 ohm tap. Or I might just be lazy and just run it at 8 ohms with the stock OT.

Big Twang Theory

Tele-Meister
Instead of going to all of that trouble, I'd personally just go with a DR, and probably swap in a 2X10 baffle board. And to keep my options wide open with choices of 10" speakers, I'd personally swap in an OT with a 4 ohm tap. Or I might just be lazy and just run it at 8 ohms with the stock OT.
I recently did this and love the results. Mojotone baffle and a pair of Weber 10f150t for my 65 Deluxe RI. Sounds amazing!

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Mind you, an amp as a head gives me the option of grabbing a 12 or a 2x10. I was planning on having a house full of amps but am rethinking that.

You're coming around to the correct conclusion, a house full of amps AND cabinets!

Is that a custom cab, or is that two speakers smushed into a regular Princeton?

That's not necessarily a custom cabinet (not mine I wouldn't know) but it's absolutely not a regular Princeton Reverb cabinet.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
In the last six months, I found a 1979 Vibrolux Reverb at a pawn shop at a screaming deal of $250 because it didn't work- speakers were shot. I bought and installed a pair of Jensen Jet Tornado Neos. The result is a relatively light, less than 40lb, amp that has the focused lows of 6L6s but at a reduced weight because of the Neo speakers. For me, it is the as-close-to-perfect gig amp as there is. It would have been loaded with JBLs, but the weight with those speakers was prohibitive.

printer2

Poster Extraordinaire
You're coming around to the correct conclusion, a house full of amps AND cabinets!
I better get building.

zJZabMI.jpg