1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Princeton speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Rajno, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Rajno

Rajno TDPRI Member

Happy Monday All. I have a Princeton RI that I scored for real cheap. I was looking to swap out the speaker to go up to a 12”. I’m stuck between 3 options. Jupiter 12LC, eminence Alessandro, or vintage Jensen c12n that was reconed. Suggestions? I have a 50s reissue Tele with Peter Florance Pups. Country/bluesy sound. All opinions appreciated.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome, Rajno! I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Of those three, I'd choose the re-coned C12NA, provided that it was reconed with the right materials. I think the Jupiter would be a little too smooth for me, and the Alessandro 12" a little too blunted and midrangey. Let us know what you end up with.

Also, it's very important that the amp is biased properly for it to sound good with any of these speakers. In a PRRI, that's a matter of what resistor is before the bias supply.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

So, it appears based on your speaker selection you are going for that
    Vintage american vibe. No alnicos listed.
    I have a Cream alnico in mine that sounds pretty decent.

4. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Are you stuck with those because that is what you have laying around? If that is the case, just try them out one at a time until you find a winner. Personally, I have not had great luck with reconned speakers but one never knows until you test it out.

nojazzhere and dannyh like this.
  5. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, I’ve tried various 12’s in a Princeton and decided I like them better with a 10. I think it suits the smaller cab better (and I guess Leo knew what he was doing lol). Granted this was with a 6G2 and not a PR, very different animals, but that might be something to consider. Good luck!

jrblue, AlbertaGriff and Paul-T like this.
  6. Rajno

Rajno TDPRI Member

I researched a bit and from what I have read those are the best 3 choices for vintage blackface tone. I understand it won’t be exact but I’m gonna give one of those a shot.

7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Changing a speaker can be the most amp changing thing sometimes. Like a whole new amp.The Emi GA SC 64 is the speaker to end my long long speaker search for Princeton, Deluxe Reverb, and non reverb Deluxe amps. I have tried almost everything for 15+ years until I found that. Some of these speakers were good for sure. The ones in bold were the best of the losers. The GA SC was the bees knees though.
    Speakers I tried prior:
    -Weber: 12F150 (2 versions), Silver Bell (3 versions) G12-65 clone, Blue Dog, 12F125, Cali, Michigan and others.
    -Emi: Twin Rev stock speaker, RW& B, Legend, Texas Heat, Cannibis Rex, Tonker, + a few more
    -Celestion: GreenBack (3), G12-65 (2), Creamback, 70-80, a couple others.
    -WGS: that popular 12, forget what it's called.
    -JBL: D120
    -Utah: A few, stock one from a Pro Reverb.
    -Jensen: C12N, P12N, P12Q, C12K
    -Various oddballs

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    uriah1 likes this.
  8. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

If you search TDPRI and elsewhere for 12" speaker & Princeton you'll find a lot about the Emi Cannabis Rex. I love that speaker in mine. But there is no one perfect answer...which is good because we can all find our own personal holy grail but bad because it can be tough to test out multiple speakers.

Have fun with your search.

Mugs likes this.
  9. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I know you said 12, but you may want to look at the WGS G10C. It sounds big with great low end. And tonally, perfect for the Princeton. If I was playing out regularly, that's what I'd have in mine. I also think a transformer upgrade is something to consider if you want the amp to sound bigger.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  10. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've got a 12" Allessandro SC64 in a Princeton sized AA764 (Champ blackface circuit). Great blackface tone for a tele. Breaks up nice if pushed a bit and takes pedals very well.

11. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

WGS G12C/S
    Weber 12F150

Are two popular choices.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  12. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

To throw a wrench into the works, I have a '74 Princeton with an Eminence Ragin Cajun in it. It's a 10, but with its efficiency and solid bottom, it sounds like a 12 in that amp. And you don't have to cut the baffle.

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had a 12" PRRI, and tried a few different speakers in it, including a CRex. The CRex was good, but not quite right. There was something absent. The best one was the Jensen P12Q that comes stock in some PRRI versions. That speaker has a lot of "chime" and is very 3-dimensional. Lots of "bloom" on the notes.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I once had a 1964 Princeton non-reverb that I put a Sovtek (Electro Harmonix) brand, Eminence made, "Jensen"-copy 12" in.....it sounded great!

15. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

of those 3 listed Id probably go with the vintage c12n

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I forgot to mention, You can also just leave your PR as 10", get a Weber 10F150 or 10F150T (preferred) 50 watt speaker and you will love it. It's like an amp changing event!

corn husk bag, MadJack and archetype like this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Are those speakers the only ones you'll consider, or are you seeking recommendations?

18. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

I have to agree with schmee, the 10F150-T is great with a PRRI. It retains the Princeton Reverb, but has a much Fuller sound.

This amp sounds good with a 10" speaker, as it's a more appropriate size cab for a 10", than a 12" speaker.

19. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I agree with all the 10" advocates here. I get plenty of low end -- important to my sound -- and it's tight and clear, by playing 10s rather than 12s, which IMO are simply less clear and a little bit flubby sometimes. There are some great bass rigs running 10s, so it's not always a matter of bigger speakers being better for low end. There are many factors in play, of course, but I'm a fan of a good OT and a 10".

MickM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.