Princeton Reverb Scratch build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by 2pupwonder, Feb 1, 2017.

1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Everyone says that about Hoffman. Someone posted on a facebook amp forum that the order they placed tomorrow arrived today :D

clintj and King Fan like this.
  2. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

FWIW I built my PR with the most stock PT and OT I could. Sounds amazing.

People who gig, or who need bigger, tighter sound, or a cooler PT, reserve amperage, and added potential durability, may well upgrade their OT or PT or both. But all those old original PRs that created the amazing rep didn't have 'em.

arielyitus likes this.
  3. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

cabinet building pics:
    IMG_20170204_130424.jpg
    Laying out the sides - should have waited for the chassis as the top angle is wrong - live - n - learn, at least it's an easy fix.

IMG_20170204_134013.jpg

i cut a bevel on the top and bottom boards to match the angle of the adjacent sides.

IMG_20170204_140428.jpg

here you can see the two sides aligned with each other, i made them a 1/8" longer at both ends so i could true up the box joint with a straight router when complete.

IMG_20170204_140931.jpg

i clamped the sides together and trued up the cut edge with a very expensive pieces of equipment someone was going to throw away...

Attached Files:

4. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

IMG_20170204_142621.jpg
    Laid out the box joint, it's going to be 3/8 wide 'teeth'...

IMG_20170204_145147.jpg
    i cut the box joint in with a jigsaw and a clean cutting cabinet blade. here you also see the back side scoring i did with a 1/4" chisel. go about 1/4 of the way thru the board when scoring on a soft wood like this. scoring the back prevents blowing out the wood... rubber dead blows make short work of this kind of thing.

IMG_20170204_145728.jpg

here's a completed piece. Blowouts happen... i pulled that piece out and used a special resonant wood putty to fill it in... it' like 50 bucks for a half oz can... Also, when freehanding box joints like this, only do one side of the seam... use the first cut seam to scribe out where your next cuts go.

IMG_20170204_154908.jpg

here's a dry fit. this one didn't require any filing. one joint did, due to a bit more crowning down the center of the board...

IMG_20170204_174922.jpg

here's the glue-up. it was near freezing in the workshop, so some of the glue on the bench was clouding over. i used standard Tite-Bond and ratchet straps for clamps. then i brought it into the house so the rest of the glue didn't freeze...

5. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

IMG_20170204_174934.jpg

This is another view of the clamp up. couple tips if anyone else is doing this. put glue on both surfaces. Also label all of your parts. Titebond sticks really good, even in 10 minutes. ALso, i sanded the inside surface of all my parts before assembly. didn't want planer marks inside my cab, probably make funky standing wave reverberations...

6. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

also, my chassis showed up from Zach. it's a really nice piece he even thru in a black blank face and back plate... just need to add water slide decals to them... Knobs showed up - direct from china a dozen for what everyone wants for one knob...

other stuff from Amplified Parts is due in tomorrow... Free shipping is cool, it just takes for ever...

7. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

IMG_20170209_183453.jpg

Picked up my G10 and cut it to size. I got the 1/8" easy cut electrical insulating variety. It's basically Formica plastic laminate (phenolic resin) with a small amount of glass fiber in it.

IMG_20170209_202509.jpg

Drilled all the holes per Hoffman's template.

Also mounted the turrets. is it ok if they are slightly wiggly after staking? or do i need to go thru and tighten them up with a flatter staking tool?

8. tresspassor

tresspassor Tele-Meister

I did one using hoffman's AA1164 layout for a PR-ish and it turned out really quiet. Here's a link to that build thread. Looks like the pic links are broken, but there's a direct link to the pics folder in there somewhere.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/kingston-reverb-build.511559/

I would recommend to tighten up the turrets. You could risk pulling one out when doing some future repair, and that would be a major pain to fix. If you don't have the proper staking tool, you can just lay it top-down on a hard surface and use a large phillips head srewdriver and gently tap on them with a hammer.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  9. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

I keep a bottle of medium viscosity cyanoacrylate glue (Hot Stuff) nearby for just this reason. Glue the chip back down and carry on.

10. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

ok, thanks will do that. to bad i don't have the steel top workbench i left at my previous address... it had 3/16" thick steel that was trued up on the top of it for cabinet and furniture assembly...

11. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

Got my order from Amplified parts. going to proceed with assembly. more pics to follow!

12. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

it worked, they are all tight now. Thanks!

13. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

So got it all together and double checked, i got a loud pulsating low pitch squeal when turned on.

Does this mean my OT primaries are reversed?

14. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

Also, i think i heat damaged one of the capacitors. the lead in it fell out on me. i put it back in and am going to order a replacement.

15. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, the squeal is probably positive feedback.

I wouldn't turn on the amp again until you get that cap replaced. Use a heat sink on component leads when soldering. Even an alligator clip will help.

16. 2pupwonder

2pupwonder TDPRI Member

I reversed them and got normal operation.
    Thanks! I found a match at radio shack and replaced it. the amp sounds really good.

The bass distorts before anything else, kind of farts out... which is normal and what the PRRI did that i tried out, only not as bad. Some of it is probably due to the speaker, which claims it's 30 watts. It's an old champ xd 10" i had on hand. Wasn't going to dump any more dough into this project till i proved it would work.

Should i do Cathode resistors on the PI? i was thinking 470k as i have some spares... also have 33k and 470ohm leftovers.

Got lots of pics to post, is anyone interested?

17. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Well........ um... yeah!

18. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

What output tubes are you using? What did you use for the rectifier? What is your B+ and idle cathode current? The 6.6k primary moves the load line more towards class B territory.

19. mgwhit

mgwhit Tele-Holic

Assuming you built a stock Princeton Reverb you already have cathode resistors on your PI -- it wouldn't work if you didn't. Do you mean a grid stopper resistor? If so, use the 470K.

Yes! Please!

20. CordovaNate

CordovaNate TDPRI Member

I'm relying on the "better late than never" axiom to revive this post. I completed my build 1-31-17 and would have posted then had I seen this thread.

I'd never built an amp before, but I saw a populated PRRI circuit board on ebay and thought I'd use it to build a PR. That didn't work, but I already had the transformers etc. I started my searching for parts & plans and found Hoffman, purchased what I needed from him.

I built my own cab. I intended to use finger joints but my cheap table saw vibrated like crazy with anything other than a single blade and I figured it was gonna look ***, and I was in a hurry to play the amp, so I skipped that. I'm happy with it as-is though.

My amp fired up on the 2nd try. A small piece of loose wire I was using to hold something in place was overlooked was shorting something out during the first try.

I really enjoyed building it. Here is a link to way too many pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/bWWouxCUBKVYepLHA

LudwigvonBirk, wblynch, sds1 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.