1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Princeton Reverb RI - New Owner "Is it Normal?" Questions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joaters, May 18, 2020.

1. dfbach

dfbach TDPRI Member

I have a prri (and love it). I don't have a pop or crackle when I plug in. Unfortunately, I don't know whether that is anything to worry about or not. The tremolo intensity definitely sounds like the bias needs adjusting. As radiocaster wrote above, check to see if the knob is too low. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

2. takauya

takauya TDPRI Member

It shouldn't make any pop/crackle noise when you plug/unplug in/from the input of an amp even on the volume on 10, so it's faulty jack(s), or possibly dc leak. Those reissue amps use the cheapest parts, so no wonder.

If it's biased too hot, you don't hear much of up/down but if it's new they normally would set the bias cold. Worth to check though. It might be just the taper of the pot.

3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

This part doesn't make any sense to me. When you plug a guitar cable in, you're literally shoving signal into the grid of the first tube stage, which will be amplified throughout the rest of the circuit. It doesn't know if that's signal from a pickup, or if you're breaking the shorting connection on the input with a physical change. Some level of noise is expected, but like I said, I've never cared about noise an amp makes when an instrument is plugged in while the amp is running, as that isn't a normal operating condition of the amp.

I've also never understood the hate for plastic jacks in Fender land. It's the only thing Marshall has ever used, and we don't complain about them in that application, but as soon as a Fender reissue doesn't have a bolted-down Switchcraft, it's "cheap"

Amp is likely fine, may just need a sliiiiight bias tweak for stronger trem if that is important to you.

4. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Plastic switching jacks, in particular cheaper ones, are prone to failure. Also if they're on a PC board, it's even worse.

Metal ones can also fail if they have a switch, but you can open the amp up and fix it by bending the tabs. With plastic ones, you usually have to replace them.

5. corliss1

Right, I get the PC board connection thing and whatnot, it's just a very "I bleed vintage Fender" crowd that seems to hate the plastic jacks.

6. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I like what @corliss1 said re the volume pot not killing signal at 0 — good point, in fact mine doesn’t. And what he said about the stiffer pot, too. I’d still ask Fender about the trem. BTW if it is bias, many folks here seem to find *in these amps* that cool enough to wiggle doesn’t hurt the tone...

scelestus likes this.
  7. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

"I bleed vintage Fender" crowd

m_coffeespit.gif

corliss1 likes this.
  8. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

after re-reading your post I took a closer look at my amp. The Volume pot does seem to turn a little "stiffer" than the others, but barely noticeable.
    My trem intensity takes effect at about 2.5. Hope this helps,

9. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The tremelo might be the bias setting. On a PR the bias effects the tremelo. All tubes are not alike. I don't know what they do at the factory or if they set the bias at all.
    The Volume pot seems a bit weird, but how stiff is it? It should turn readily and smoothly, some resistance is good.

10. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I had an original '65 Princeton that I bought new around that time. The tremolo on "10" was barely noticeable, so I'd say it was normal.

11. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

I have one I bought new, too. Doesn't have any of the issues you describe. Trem is noticeable right from the lowest setting. No stiff knobs. No crackle.

12. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Reseat the tubes. Check again. If it still persists, use the warranty.

Geo likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Those plastic jacks Fender uses fail often is the reason. I have probably replaced... 5 of them in the last 10 years on my own purchases. I think Marshall used the genuine "Cliff" brand which may be better.

14. corliss1

For sure - actual "cliff" ones are solid.

15. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

If it was used I was say those are easy fixes for a tinkerer, but for a new amp...well, it should be perfect. Exchange it.

16. joaters

joaters TDPRI Member

17. PeteWaller

PeteWaller Tele-Meister

I just bought the same amp and my tremolo does not come in until about 5:)

18. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

One thing I’ve learned with Hi-$ amps... there’s always something there to remind me.
    IME, low $ = low expectation = potential for happiness.
    high $ = high expectations = ...well, you know.

19. joaters

joaters TDPRI Member

I ended up keeping mine. Everything else worked fine and it didn't effect the sound. One thing I noticed about the Knobs is the ones on the right in front of the power tubes have less resistance when the amp is hot. Could explain why the volume knob feels stiffer in comparison.

20. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

just as another data point for the discussion, my PRRI (which is a 2019 build) doesn't do #1 (pop or crack on instrument cable insertion), and #2; trem seems to come in anywhere from 3-4 depending on volume (try a new tube there perhaps).

as for #3, I just confirmed all mine turn with the same characteristics. But, interestingly, on my Twin Reverb RI, there are several noticeably stiffer. They move nice and smooth, and make no noise or anything, but they are quite a bit less persuaded to rotate.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.