1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Princeton Reverb RI - New Owner "Is it Normal?" Questions

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by joaters, May 18, 2020.

1. joaters

joaters TDPRI Member

Hi folks. My first post here. I just got a new 65 PRRI and have the usual "big purchase" paranoia that it may have issues. Here's what I've noticed:
    1. Slight pop/crackle when inserting/removing guitar cable in either instrument jack, even with volume off. (I'm upgrading from a Boss Katana 50, which is silent).
    2. Tremolo intensity knob has no noticeable effect until "5", at any speed setting.
    3. Volume knob is stiffer that all other knobs.
    Normal behavior?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Are you able to bring it back to the place of purchase and play another example to A/B them? I don’t own one, so I’m not much help.
    Does it sound good overall?

mojek and nojazzhere like this.
  3. joaters

joaters TDPRI Member

Sounds great overall. These are all things I can live with if they're normal. Purchased online through the Fender shop.

4. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I'd be concerned about point #2 about the tremolo intensity. One of the beautiful things about a Princeton reverb is its great-sounding tremolo circuit. You should start to feel it when you bring it up to 3.

Fuga Mante and lil scotty like this.
  5. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

This is brand new? The stiffer pot doesn't sound right -- others may know how that could be. And yeah, the trem should be detectable way below 5 -- one cause of weak trem is bias not low enough, but I'd be a bit surprised if Fender did that out of the factory. And I'm not sure I like the instrument jack symptom either. If you bought it directly from Fender I'd ask their customer service -- I've never done that but you see stories of them answering even minor questions.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. joaters

joaters TDPRI Member

Yep, brand new. I'll see what Fender customer service say. Thanks for the responses.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with those who say to check (quickly) with Fender. Hopefully they have an authorized repair shop near you who can check it out for you.....and don't hesitate to be assertive if they try to blow you off.

8. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

I have a '65 R.I. and have none of the issues you've listed. If you bought it new I'd consider an exchange.

nojazzhere, Fretting out and joaters like this.
  9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

As long as that's the only noise it makes. Sure you aren't hearing the mechanical noise of the reverb spring?

The trem on these is a bias vary, the tube driving it oscillates the bias to the grids up and down, it can be subtle. I had a 78 which was biased on the warm side and it didn't do much at low intensity settings.

The volume knob on these is a 2meg IIRC - yes it's a bit more resistance when especially new to turn. Some of the small pot values are only 25k. The plastic knob could be binding on the faceplate.

If it sounds good otherwise, I'd say all good.

TJStone likes this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds like you might have got a Lemon. Return it for a replacement.

yojimbo and Fretting out like this.
  11. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

2 is weird - maybe by 3ish it should be doing something, but for sure by 5 you should notice it.

1 - why do we care if it makes a noise when a cable is unplugged and plugged in while the amp is running? Pots don't always completed kill the signal even when in the "all the way off" position, so it's normal to get some bleed through.

3 - They use different value pots, so it could be a feel thing from a different manufacturer or the knob could be pushed on a bit deep and rubbing against the faceplate itself. But, if it sounds good, I wouldn't worry about this one either.

LudwigvonBirk, King Fan and joaters like this.
  12. Dacious

I'm thinking it may be a bit of anxiety from someone unused to tube amps. Because it's different it seems unusual on something that's not inexpensive.

The reverb in these mixes in after the volume I'm thinking, and is active with no pedal. Even with nothing plugged in mine would make noise through the reverb.

Perhaps with the trem he's just got tubes that pull a bit more current.

I'd say the Katana has minipots of 10-25k. I know on my Princeton and Vibrochamp the speed and intensity knobs were a lot easier to move than the volume if there was no knob on the shaft. You wanna feel the dual-ganged 1 meg master pot on my Marshall!

corliss1 likes this.
  13. joaters

joaters TDPRI Member

@Dacious - Definitely a bit of anxiety. I did some experimenting and the jack noise only happens when the reverb is on (more reverb, louder the noise). I haven't got round to using the footswitch yet.

WRT the volume pot, it's a smooth as silk, not rubbing. I only noticed it because it feels "heavier" than the others.

WRT to the trem intensity, I do play at fairly low volume most of the time, 3.5, so I dimed it and lowered the guitar volume, but still not noticeable until 5.

14. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

My early '70s Super Reverb does the same thing, if that's any comfort: No real audible depth of the trem until around 5 on the dial. Never been a problem, in practical terms.

joaters likes this.
  15. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I want to say the amp is probably fine. Best course of action would be, as someone said above, to go play another one somewhere for comparison.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. joaters

joaters TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help!

17. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

My PRRI exhibits a little of the #2 thing. It's audible below that but not anything like an opto circuit. Since it's a bias tremolo you can adjust the bias and have some effect on it, but I believe you'd increase the trem by lowering the bias - in that case you're balancing overall tone against deep trem.

18. Dacious

I think as brother Corliss, who knows a lot more than me says, the things you're describing are quirks and idiosyncrasies of tube amps.

I remember my Princeton you could hear the modulation at less than five but I rarely played the amp at less than 6 on the volume.

joaters likes this.
  19. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Probably nothing to do with your post problems? But when you have a tube amp shipped it allways pays to check tube fitting, the reverb tank jacks & that the tank hasn't shifted in the sleeve.

joaters and TJStone like this.
  20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a similar problem on other gear, the knob was actually too tight and too low. Raise it up (I don't know if your knobs have a grub screw because I don't have your amp) and see if that solves it.

joaters likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.