Princeton Reverb Reissue speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by romeo71, Feb 14, 2019.

1. romeo71

romeo71 NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys. I put a 50w Weber 10F150-T on my PRRI. The improvement was huge! Lots of volume and headroom. Now I want a little less volume and more breakup. Any suggestions?

BlueCajun likes this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Those Webers are really loud! I highly recommend the following speakers in a Princeton Reverb:

Eminence Copperhead
    Celestion G10 gold alnico

gwjensen likes this.
  3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would suggest an attenuator. That would allow you to cut the volume if needed or tomuse the full,force of the output if needed. If you buy an attenuator that also has re-amping functions, then the little amp would suffice even for big venues...outdoors or arenas.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Put a low watt alnico in there (Weber,Jensen,Whse,other)

gwjensen likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Okay.....here we go.....I predict that before the thread is done the OP will hVe to buy every speaker mDe iF he needs all suggestions. Eeeehaw....

Romeo, if you like the tonality of that speaker, I would urge you to look into an attenuator. If you don’t like the tonality of the speaker, then get your money up and keep buying speakers. I personally would never put a low efficiency speaker in a lower power amp IF I wanted to use that amp for anything except recording or ‘bedroom’ playing....and maybe not even then. I have a couple of Rivera era Super champs...18 watt amps. I run EVI’s in them....100db speakers IIRC. They can be very big amps...in a Champ size...or they can be lower output amps by manipulation of controls. They are in essence Princeton Reverbs that were hotrodded. Of course, they have overdrive capabilities at any volume...and your amp lacks that.
    An attenuator allows one to push that amp as hard as wanted at any volume. A low efficiency speKer prevents an amp from achieving bigger, cleaner sounds at volume, ime.
    Good luck in the search...Nd welcome to the forum!

OlRedNeckHippy and Greggorios like this.
  6. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Wally, Alex W and King Fan like this.
  7. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Try playing through the 2nd (low decibel) input. It won't overdrive any easier, but it will be quieter. I do this on my Princeton a lot.

Alex W likes this.
  8. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

9. DNukem

DNukem TDPRI Member

I'm getting a Celestion G10 Gold delivered today...so excited! I will be putting it in my Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb

10. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

G10 gold is too efficient-loud, I'd like to find a good original for mine... I'd trade a G10 gold for a good one... a mid 1960's original, that is...

11. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I gotta agree, stay with the high efficiency speaker, and get an attenuator. That way you have the best of both worlds, high headroom when you need it, or great natural distortion at reasonable sound pressure levels. Why not have both?

Wally likes this.
  12. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I can recommend the GA-SC64 Eminence. I have one in my Superchamp. It's stellar sounding crisp and ideal in this application.

It sounds good clean but doesn't crap out dirty. Extremely articulate and seems to suit low wattage amps very well. It's a really good take on a good Jensen.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

I tried a Gold in mine which does sound great but I needed a lower efficiency speaker for home playing. I purchased a WGS Vet 20 and I love it! It's only 93db but it has a really tight, punchy low end and adds just a bit of it's own breakup to the amp's sound. I'm really enjoying this speaker and the price is really nice too.

14. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I am really digging a greenback in mine.

15. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

An Eminence 1028K alnico is another sweet speaker for a PRRI.

16. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

I've had a Gold in my Princeton Recording Amp for more than a year. Good speaker.

[​IMG]

TequilaCaster, DNukem and uriah1 like this.
  17. DNukem

DNukem TDPRI Member

18. drob

drob Tele-Holic

Agreed

19. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I’m going to throw in my 2 cents worth of experience. I’ve owned three high-end attenuators ($350-$600) and I was not impressed. Granted, these were purchased for 30 and 50 watt non-master volume Marshall’s and not for a 15 watt Fender amp.

To my ears they all sucked way to much tone, even at low attenuation levels, and they were not worth the money spent. These attenuators sounded even worse with my Fender amps.

I use an OD pedal with all my Fender amps for gain. To my ears I can get good overdriven sounds at any volume for the price of a good OD pedal.

The only attenuator that I would recommend would be the Powerstation and it costs $700-$800.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    schmee likes this.
  20. cigblues

cigblues TDPRI Member

I've been using an attenuator in my Princeton for quite awhile. The results are amazing. I found the Swart Night Light to be good. Note: It only works on amps up to 22 watts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.