1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Princeton Reverb Reissue 12" P12Q

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Ash Telecaster, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Hi,

I bought a Princeton Reverb, the tweed one from Sweetwater with the 12" Cannabis Rex. I don't like the CR, way too dark. I put a new Jensen P12Q thinking it was the natural choice for classic Princeton amp tones.

I've heard they take a while to break in but honestly I'm not sure. It sounds very lo-fi, breaks up with volume at 3, doesn't sound great.

I tried a Celestion Gold from another amp as a test and that sounded great and worked as I would expect.

I'm wondering what's up with the P12Q. I thought maybe it was a phase issue but I used the same orientation with the gold... Black wire with red collar to positive, white wire with black collar to negative.

I suppose the speaker could be defective.

Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Jared Purdy and Deathray like this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Jensen has an issue. I'd try the Emi Alessandro in that amp.

rjtwangs and Ash Telecaster like this.
  3. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Holic

Phase doesn't matter in a single speaker amp. However< I prefer to have the speaker move forward with a positive charge and you can test it with a battery. I've never much liked reissue Jensens so there's that.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  4. Ash Telecaster

Wow, 2 out of 2 "no" votes for Jensen.

I'll look into the Alessandro, thanks!

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I took a alnico Celestion out and put in the p12q actually. I like it. Sounds natural and early breakup. Ya it does not have the major overhead of higher watt stuff but sounds raleallu good and natural. If cranked it might get flabby with hb and bass notes. But it is worth it. If you gig a lot you could put in a cream.

6. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

Start saving for the Gold, you heard with your own ears. Spend the extra money now, and be happy forever!

I put a G10 gold in my ‘65 PRRI, and I now own the amp of my dreams;)
    E2AAC6B6-06C5-492D-A1C0-616934415D66.jpeg

7. Ash Telecaster

Yours breaks up around 3 too?

Did it take a long time to break in?

uriah1 likes this.
  8. Ash Telecaster

It did sound really good!

uriah1 and Deathray like this.
  9. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

The C-Rex really opens up after 25-30 hours of break-in. How long have you had it? I built a PR a couple years ago. Started with a 1258 Legend, but it was way too bright. The Cannabis Rex is what ended up in there to stay. They just need a good beating before they settle in.

gitold and Ash Telecaster like this.
  10. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Used that Jensen in a Gibson GA-5T project....hated everything about that speaker. Ended up going with a WSG smooth cone speaker instead.

11. Ash Telecaster

Thanks,

It took about 5 minutes for me to decide I needed to replace it. Not saying it's a bad speaker but it was just way too dark for the sound I wanted from that amp.

12. SonicBlueByYou

SonicBlueByYou TDPRI Member

I have the same amp. I was wanting more snap and twang, so I put the SC64 in it and love it.

I haven’t tried the Gold.

rjtwangs and Ash Telecaster like this.
  13. jsnwhite619

Well, we all obviously have our own tastes, but it really does change in character when it settles in. I was afraid I had really screwed up when I tried my first one. Now, a Cannabis Rex is my go-to 12" speaker for most Fender style amps I build.

Here's one with a Pro Jr after 30 hours or so of a 20W stereo amp playing through the speaker.

GGardner likes this.
  14. Ash Telecaster

Hmmm interesting. I'll throw it in a cab and run an mp3 player through it for a couple nights.

Thanks!

15. DennisM

DennisM Tele-Meister

I bought the PRRI Bordeaux about 3 years ago. It had the P12Q. It was dark, mushy, and had a weird compression about it. Never liked it in anything I've put it in. Since the Princeton was designed and voiced for a 10", I built an adapter and put a Jensen C10R in it. Now it sounds like a Princeton. I tried a few different 12's in it but never got the sound I wanted from a princeton. The C10R is punchy with tight bass and way more focused than any of the 12's I tried. I'm sure others will disagree, but I love the amp now.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    PeteWaller and Ash Telecaster like this.
  16. jsnwhite619

Play the heaviest bass stuff you've got and it will speed it up. Even if you throw it in a closet to cut down on the noise, they need a workout to open up. Honestly, give it a solid 25+ hours of real volume through it, and you'll probably be surprised.

17. 2L man

2L man Tele-Meister

I really like RI P12Q and it is become my favorite 12" and I regret I bought 12" Gold which did cost double although it was discounted. I like 70s rock sound and to me it is easiest to achieve when playing home using P12Q and when its sensitivity is only about 94dB its low volume sound is good but player must like classic sound what inevitably comes out of it.

But P12Q is far being 40W loudspeaker!!! About 20W is max it can take.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    uriah1 and Ash Telecaster like this.
  18. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have the GC/MF Bordeaux Princeton with the P12Q as stock. Mine does not breakup at 3. In fact I’ve posted before that it sounded really “spongy”. It got better with age. I replaced it with a Celestion Greenback G12M. It’s tighter with the Greenback but less Fender-ish.
    I actually like both.
    The “interweb” is filled with suggestions for speakers to pair with both the 10” and 12” versions of the PRRI. It’s a crapshoot.

Jared Purdy and Ash Telecaster like this.
  19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I am always torn when it comes to low watt amps and speakers. I had an alnico cream in there that was probably perfect at loud volumes. I almost thought of putting a blue in
    there for (best sounds ever..lol)..but I had p12q laying around..and at non gigging volumes is great. That said, you dont get the ceramic fender goodness of the (c12n series)
    or the rock goodness of the (g12h anniv, greenbacks, or creambacks)..which take it to a different level. I am lucky I had a drri to plop the alnico cream into.

My bud has SF pr..10..that sounds good in its own right, but it is a different animal.
    I think we replaced the blown utah with rajun cajun or some other emi thing.

20. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I found the same thing last year when I was in the market and looking at the PR reissues. I mentioned my observation to the sales staff and he conformed that what I observed was what most people said. Too dark, too much bass.

I opted for the Custom 64' Hand Wired, which uses the P10R. I don't usually turn it up past 3 anyways, but at that volume, with a Les Paul plugged in, and both volume controls dime'd, the speaker holds together very well. Very clean. Interestingly, the 57' Custom Deluxe does not use the Jensen P12Q. They've opted for a 12" Special Design alnico made by Eminence. I think it too sounds amazing.

uriah1 and Ash Telecaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.