1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Princeton Reverb Pricing

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Voicing 13, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Good morning all,

I am helping out a friend of mine and he has to sell his Princeton Reverb. Neither of us are amp savvy and we could use some input. What should we ask for a selling price as the amp is not completely original?

• We've dated to 1966.
    • The grill has been replaced.
    • The speaker has also been replaced and it's from a local company.
    • It's missing the two metal plates that sit on top of Fender amps.
    • The knobs I believe have been replaced
    • It's had a tune up in the past few weeks and works great.
    • All the other components are original.

We realize that we cannot get the same price as if it were all original parts.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

*All take better pictures a little later.*
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

2. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Around half of a real nice one.
    Maybe 800

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What Charlie said, at $800, I imagine that it would sell pretty quickly.

if you put less $50 in the amp, with Fender replacement chassis straps and original style Fender knobs and cleaned it up a bit, you could probably get $1200 for the amp.

I sold a really nice condition 1966 BFPR (all original except one replaced transformer) for $1600. I really miss that amp.

mtown, nojazzhere and FenderLover like this.
  4. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

I'd put it out there for $1200 and see what offers you get

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Based on what I see on Reverb, 1200.00 seems like a good number.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I agree with starting at the $1200 range. None of your missing items is consequential for that popular amp.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

$1200 is low book price for excellent condition and ridiculously high since the amp is in "fair-" shape. Anyone with access to a Vintage Guitar Price Guide won't look twice if it's priced that high.

If all the other components are original it needs appx $200-300 in normal service BEFORE restoration items are deducted.

$800 would be the top price I'd suggest as an asking price, and I'd suggest taking offers over $600. FWIW I buy and sell amps regularly and I would not be interested at $600 because of the poor resale value. But a player who does his own tech work interested in sound only might pay $700 or so.

8. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Totally with Silverface on this one. Maybe even lower at $500 if there has been much modification to the circuit or parts changed.

At this point it's a players amp, looks like someone modified the baffle for the 12 inch speaker. So let's summarize what bringing it up to snuff would be:

Original Speaker on ebay…$175
    New baffle and grill $75-$100
    New knobs . 6x20 = $120
    Metal strips = $30 for 2

So that's roughly $450 for what is known. The cost goes up for any internal changes or modification let's guess $300 for a tech to change to original spec. If the transformer is not original, then another $100 for replacement and labor.

You can see where this is going. But, this is America....one man's garbage is another man's treasure. You can choose any price you want but $800 is a good starting place to start the bidding but don't be surprised if sells at $500.

9. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I'd also say $800. Put $50-100 into it and ask $1200, then take offers. Service has been done, unless we want to be cynical and decide it wasn't done correctly. The baffle has been replaced, no reason to replace it again. If the speakers sounds good, no reason to replace it. The amp straps are not $30, and it already has knobs. Those amps sell themselves if they look the part, so I'd change the grill cloth.

There's no end to what it could cost to restore, but it looks like a player to me, so no reason to change the knobs. Otherwise add a few hundred more to have it recovered, now it's worth what, $200? May as well throw it away, right?:rolleyes:

gridlock likes this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Right on, new Fender RI knobs, straps, and a new handle around $50-$75.

I’d be all over that amp if it was local and for sale at $800 or less.

Again, I’m told that all else is original, with no gut shots, I am assuming that blue caps are there and original transformers) are original.

I would buy it, restore it with RI parts, and probably keep the amp as a player.

These BF amps are hot. Heck, SF non-reverb Princeton’s are selling for $1000.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

A snapshot of the inside of the amp i.e. circuit would help people give you better direction and close up of the transformer numbers.

stantheman likes this.
  12. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Look everything Silverface says is on the money. That's his business. Get the chassis straps for it - they're cheap and they easily add on $125.00 to the price. Next go on eBay and buy used period correct knobs -you do NOT want "new" because that is phony and that's when questions come about. Nobody cares about the speaker because it's going to get replaced the day after it arrives. Lastly if You want the full 2K send the baffle to Larry Rogers and ask him nicely if he'll apply an aged - period correct grill.
    It's pretty easy - less than 6 weeks to get top dollar.
    I'd go for it in a minute.
    I just gave away all my tells. Oh the hell with it. :D:D
    My next Amp is probably a Blues Cube Artist.:D:D

13. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Wow amazing the difference in markets. I've seen ones with worse issues than this sell for over a grand here. I've seen just a chassis sell for not much less.

nojazzhere and schmee like this.
  14. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Larry Rodgers has been gone for a while (October 2016), RIP Larry. It's still a replaced baffle, you just wasted good money. Repro or existing knobs are fine with a cab having ripped up tolex.

It's a player, but it's a Blackface and desirable. Put it on this site for $800 and it would sell.

15. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

I've got 6 new Fender knobs that I am willing to sell for... $90! PM me!

schmee likes this.
  16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Great amp. Great enough as a musical tool that it's not worth selling in that condition IMO. I'd add a few repro parts to make it look good, and play the hell out of it. But your friend isn't me, so I'm not gonna tell him what his priorities are. I'd suggest he do the following:

Repro knobs, repro chassis straps, repro grille cloth, all self installed. Those little cosmetic things will go a long way toward making the amp initially attractive to a browser. Fully disclose these restoration parts, ask $1,000 O.B.O., take $600–$700. He might even get somebody offering $800 for the thing, in which case he should not hesitate to take the money right away.

17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

This^ $700 and take $600 if you're in a hurry. I don't see small vintage tube amp prices going up soon.

18. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

I just sold a 66 Princeton Reverb about 2 months ago. Looked original, all transformers had been replaced, replacement MojoTone speaker, 3 prong cord added, needed serviced (sat unused for 15years), had original footswitch, had the original paper tube chart in the cabinet. $1000.

nojazzhere and schmee like this.
  19. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Just got an Internet connection after 6 years of being destitute. So sorry to learn of Larry's passing, he was a great guy. I can see a Princeton Reverb in "Clean Condition" selling easily for $1600.00 minimum. An aged grill cloth is fair game but correct me if I'm mistaken - these are stapled to the front baffle are they not?

schmee likes this.
  20. LudwigvonBirk

LudwigvonBirk Tele-Holic

OP, I'll give you 650 US right now for it as-is, and pay shipping. You can keep the speaker (or not)- it'll be cheaper for me wrt ship cost if you keep the speaker, but no big deal.

I'll be in Ontario (Kichener area) in the next few weeks and could pick it up and pay in person, if you are near Toronto.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.