Princeton reverb kit

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Linkjr, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Linkjr

Linkjr Tele-Meister

Hi guys

I'm in the UK and I'm thinking of buying a Princeton reverb kit, there's 1 main thing I'm worried about that's will I have to go "off road" so to speak and work out how I can drop some voltage to run it on a UK mains power supply.

2. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

WHich kit were you thinking of getting?

An easy solution would be to buy one without a mains transformer, than buy a 230V PT separately.

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

4. EmWeAh

EmWeAh TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Modulus and TAD (Mojo) are selling PR kits with an appropriate PT for 230-240 V. If you choose to use a different supplier you can add in a Hammond 291AEX. This would be my choice since the Hammond provides 100 mA on the HT winding, which most people would consider as useful upgrade.

Paul-T and jsnwhite619 like this.
  5. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

I'm vaguely planning a Princeton for next year and was pondering suppliers. MOJOtone would be great if you or a friend is visting the US, TAD and Modulus are comparatively pricey. As pointed out, mojotone also supply export PT.

But the Modulus chassis is not too expensive, so it might well be worth getting that, then other parts separately, for instance tube-town seem to have more competitive prices. They have all the suitable Hammond transformers I believe.

6. EmWeAh

EmWeAh TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Yeah they do seem pricey at first glance. I once ordered a 5F11 complete kit directly from Mojo and it was around 100 USD for shipping and another 25% on top of everything for VAT and import taxes (don't know the rates for UK though) ... Regarding Modulus I have to add that they are selling also their own made chassis with cut outs that will fit standard deluxe reverb transformers (e.g. 291BEX). Very tempting :D ...

Paul-T likes this.
  7. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

from the US to UK, you will pay 20% VAT, around 5% duty (both on the price including shipping!) , plus circa £12 courier handling charge.

EmWeAh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.