Princeton Reverb - Extension Cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

8 ohm 1x12 cabs are actually the most common. Some of them are pretty cheap. Fender has a cab for the XD head, $199 new. There are lots of cheaper ones from other brands.

Leave the internal speaker plugged in. Plug an 8ohm cab into the ext speaker jack. That’s 4ohm load (if it’s a RI princeton, that is).

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  2. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Holic

it is certainly louder by a huge factor but perhaps not as toneful

the other trick if you want it to be a bit bigger and rounder is to go for an open back 2x12 cab but load it with a 10 and a 12 - wire an 8 ohm 10" in series with the combo and then put a 16 ohm 12" in parallel across it to bring it back to 8 ohms - seems to move a bit more air and go lower - it is actually possible to do it on a stereo jack for an extension socket so its a single link lead from the amp with a 4 way speakon on the cab but meter at every stage as expensive mistakes can be made

3. Telebellycut

Telebellycut TDPRI Member

If it’s any consolation, I also have a 68 deluxe reissue and it is beastly. I mostly use the Princeton for recording and practicing but I use the deluxe live. They’re both great but the deluxe stays clean when I’m playing with my band. I don’t think I could sell either one.

jimash and Axegrinder77 like this.
  4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I might just try the ramrod before any other moves. Doesn't hurt to have a couple speaker options kicking around anyways. Luckily I don't really need any more headroom at the moment. Just looking for a bit "bigger" of a sound, if that makes any sense.

5. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

2x10 Avatar cab w Jensen C10N speakers over here.. Made the PR sound twice as big and fills the room much better.

6. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

image.jpg

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  7. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I put a 12" Eminence legend 1258 in this one. I sounded great.
    Rear Eminence.jpg Front2.jpg

69ChevyP/U likes this.
  8. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

69ChevyP/U likes this.
  9. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

Just the cab..

Axegrinder77 likes this.
  10. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yes it does!

zook likes this.
  11. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I frequently play my CPR through a 1/12 closed cab with an EVM 12 in it. That works. I am actually afraid to plug in both .
    But I do also have a Mesa Boogie Subway Blues, and those two sound good together.
    Sometimes I use the VibroChamp XD as an effects amp with the CPR and pretend its a Rover.

12. Rooster-p

Rooster-p TDPRI Member

I have a 68 princeton ri I just bought and I just happened to catch this post, I know it's old but to answer your question it must see a minimum of 8 ohms so the best way to accomplish this is to unhook the existing 8 ohm 10" speaker and replace it with a 16 ohm 10" speaker in the amp itself and plug a 12" 16 ohm extension speaker cab into the other 1/4" speaker Jack and that gives you your 8 ohm minimum. That is the absolute safest way to do it. Either that or replace the 8 ohm 10"speaker with a 8 ohm 12" speaker in the amp cab baffle or the only other way would be just unplug your 10" speaker in the amp and just plug your 8 ohm 12" extension cab in it's place and make sure you plug it in the same place as the 10" amp speaker was and your good to go. That would be your cheapest and easiest way to go but I think I'm gonna replace the 10" with a 12" 8 ohm UK made greenback, can't go wrong there. So there's your answer without a doubt, do not go below 8 ohm's. There you have it.

13. Rooster-p

Rooster-p TDPRI Member

I know this is an old thread but I gonna try anyway. When you put the 12" speaker in your princeton did you cut your baffle out bigger or replace the baffle or was you able to put it on the existing baffle without any changes?

14. Rooster-p

Rooster-p TDPRI Member

minimum load on a 68 princeton RI is 8 ohms. It will work at 16 but it will be less clean headroom. The manual definitely says 8 ohms minimum so I wouldn't go to 4. You'll be makin bacon on your tranny.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  15. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I actually built the cabinet. The speaker baffle as designed to accommodate the 12.

That being said, the original baffle can be modified to fit a 12. That's what Randall Smith did when he first started building what became the first Boogie amps.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Rooster-p likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.