Princeton Reverb Build w/ Hammond Model M Transformers

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Jesco, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Hello again, fine folks!

I acquired the power transformer and output transformer from a stripped Hammond Model M organ. It is a PP 6V6 amp; originally, it came with a field coil speaker, which I will not use. After some research I decided to use the transformers to build a BF Princeton Reverb. The chassis (from Zack in Arkansas) and small parts (from Mojotone) have arrived, and I'm ready to start. I hope.

I probably should have asked this earlier, but will there be any problem with this plan?

Power Transformer: According to PRR on Hoffman Amplifiers Forum, "this particular amp [Model M Hammond] can be re-connected for 415V at 115mA. This suggests 6.6K or 8K loading and 25W-35W output". He seems to be a very knowledgable dude, from the million posts I've seem from him.

Output transformer: I measured it, and it has a winding ratio of 37.5 to 1. If my calculations are correct, the reflected impedance would be 5,624 ohms with a 4 ohm speaker or 11,248 ohms with an 8 ohm speaker. That seems high for a PP 6V6. Anyone see any problems with 5,624 ohms using a 4 ohm speaker?

Schematic included:

Attached Files:

Potatocaster and Snfoilhat like this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

There is no "problem" with your plan per se. Hammonators have been built and enjoyed by guitarists for years now.

To use the BF Princeton Reverb circuit is not a problem. The expectation for the Hammonator to sound, act, an respond like a BF Princeton Reverb when the PT and OT do not share the specs of the BFPR is unrealistic IMO.
    I have a Hammond carcass as well. I decided to stick with traditional deluxe/princeton character just like his suggestion of either the 6.6k or 8k OT.

Jesco likes this.
  3. Lowerleftcoast

IDK if it fits your budget or desire.
    OT best bang for buck (for new) that I have found is Mouser, hammond 1750pa. It is hammond's version of the marshall 18 watt. 8.4k/4,8,16. It has a larger footprint than similar fender.

Hammond paints over everything. You'll have to scrape paint off the wires.

I have no affiliation/connection with any of these companies.

4. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

I am ready for it to not sound exactly like a BFPR, but I suppose I was hoping for something closer to BFDR. The original amp, I believe, was a 12 watt into an 8 ohm field coil speaker. If the amp indeed puts out more than 22 watts, I imagine there will be problems with the bias wiggle tremolo. Maybe the best solution is to get transformers for the BFPR and keep the Hammond transformers for a separated, higher wattage amp project. I’ll have to think on this unless I hear any other suggestions.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have seen your plan carried of a few times now by my local amp guy. He tends to wire them more like the Dr. Z Carmen amps than the Fender Princeton. They all end up sounding really good, so I think you will be happy with the results.

Those old field coil speakers were actually good sounding Rola speakers in most cases. I certainly understand wanting to rid yourself of the field coil design, but I do like the sound of those speakers a lot.

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Larger transformers for a PR are not a bad thing at all. More headroom, quiter too, but keeps the PR flavor. Not sure about those trannys though...

7. Lowerleftcoast

The PT would be fine for a BFDR. Just need the OT in the 6.6k range. The BFPR would be tough to capture with the extra power of the hammond.

8. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the replies!
    The speaker is gone, and, furthermore, I’d like to have more experience before I start messing with field coil speakers. I would love to hear one in a guitar amp though.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Mouser/Hammond OT suggestion. I think I’m going to go with the Allen TO20, mainly because I plan to use a 12” speaker in a standard PR cab, and this transformer is designed to fit.

Lowerleftcoast likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.