princeton reverb bordeaux--tube or SS rectifier

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by muscmp, Oct 26, 2017.

1. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I have the 15 watt 65 PRRI with the 12" Cannabis Rex in lacquered tweed, and it's now my do everything amp. It sounds great in the bedroom, and the C/Rex speaker is efficient enough that it has PLENTY of volume in a band environment! I just put it on top of the flight case if I need to hear it with a loud band. Plus, it weighs only 34 pounds! Just grab & go!
    PS. I think all the PRRI's have tube rectifiers. IMG_0128.JPG

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Crawldaddy likes this.
  2. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

I recently played that tweed Princeton using a 50s style strat; very nice, really accentuated the character of the guitar as well imprinting the amp’s dynamic character and depth of tone. That said, for the same price I am looking at a second-hand Redplate Tweedyverb and I reckon the Princeton will fall into second place!

3. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

I had a P21Q in a special-edition wine red Deluxe Reverb RI. It's a 40-watt speaker that breaks up plenty early. Replaced it a couple of months back with a 50-watt Celestion A-type.

4. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

A Tweedyverb for $1000 is an awesome find! WTG

5. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Seems a lot of folks buy their speakers based on db rating. There is a lot more to a speaker than that one spec. The Jensen Alnico provides a nice clean tonal pallette that fits this amp nicely. If you need louder perhaps a Deluxe Reverb would be a better fit.

6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

After many years of owning many different tube amps, I have come to the conclusion that I prefer amps with tube rectifiers over SS rectifiers. I guess the term sag comes into play... whatever that means. But I like sag from my amps.

I owned a ‘63 RI Vibroverb that I loved it’s warm tone, great Reverb and Tremolo, but that amp was just miss that sag, with the SS rectifier. I know everyone’s taste in tone is different and the VV was a great amp that I’ll miss.

I’ve had the same experience with Mesa’s with switchable tube or SS rectifiers. I just prefer the tube rectifier thing.

Hard to explain. But a tube rectifier is a must have, in my future amps.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.