Princeton Reverb and ohm question?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by '64 Tele, May 1, 2019.

1. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I've got a 68 Custom PR with 8 ohm speaker in the cab. I have previous (recently replaced stock speaker) 10 inch 8 ohm from Princeton that I'm looking at putting in an extention cab.

I know the amp "likes" to see an 8 ohm load, and having an 8 ohm cab speaker and 8 ohm extention speaker would make the amp see a 4 ohm load.
    Is this (4 ohm load) going to be a problem for the amp? Even if using the extention cab with it all the time?

Looking for some guidance before ordering the empty cabinet......

Thanks in advance....:rolleyes:

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Fender amps can usually withstand a 100% impedance mismatch in either direction:
    4 ohms ---> 8 ohms or 8 ohms ---> 4 ohms.
    But... the sound will change, often getting "smaller" and more in the background.

3. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I'm also interested in this.

From what I've read, we're kinda stuck. Apparently the newer Princeton doesn't want to be over loaded like old fenders could be. But that's mere heresay (from fender tech).

I upgraded to a g10 vintage. Definitely better. Can I add another cab, with say a g10 gold? So curious. That's a lot of dough to experiment with though!

4. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I would "think" that with a lower impedance (resistance) of 4 ohm total, your sound would be louder (if only slightly) everything else remaining the same (amp settings, etc.).

5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Louder, but less ballsy?

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Princetons of any era I wouldn't regard as being as robust as the larger Fenders.

If you just want a boost in perceived volume a more efficient speaker will do that. Either an Emi Legend (the alnico ALK is nice in these) or if you want a papery crisp vintage Jensen style the SC64 GA10 which I have in my 84 Superchamp is great. I had an original CTS alnico in my 78 - gigging volume easily. These amps don't have enough power to push out really fat bottom end or lots of clean headroom like Deluxes/6L6 Fenders but you can make the most of what's there.

If you have a 12" extension speaker just unplug the internal - you probably will barely hear it anyway.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The manual calls for using two 16 ohm loads when using both speaker jacks, which are in parallel, for the designed 8 ohm load. When using only one load in the main spkr jack, they call for that 8 ohm load again.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10002/2272000_gamp_manual_all_revA.pdf

The debate will rage on about mismatches, but an amp functions at its most efficient and safest point when it sees a matched load.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    robrob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.