Princeton Reverb 12" C Rex

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by markod, Jan 9, 2018.

1. markod

markod Tele-Meister

I went out on a limb and bought, unplayed, the Sweetwater PRRI with the 12" cannabis rex having read positive reviews and thinking I'd get a mini version of the Blues Deluxe I used to have. It's ok but seems muddy to me.
    All the reviews raved about the cleans.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I believe @Mike Simpson has or has had a Princeton with a Cannabis Rex that he likes a lot. Perhaps he can give you some tips on EQ-ing it to sound its best. To me, the Cannabis Rex is a nice sounding speaker for rock and handles gain quite well, but it is not the clearest you'll find by any stretch.

RustleFuzz likes this.
  3. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Muddy with a tele? The CRex tames the icepick but muddy would be a bit too much. Hopefully you can make it work. have it on a 5e3 not a PRRI.

soulman969 likes this.
  4. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Strat Plus with Lace Sensor pickups

5. markod

markod Tele-Meister

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have been gigging with a 74 SFPR w/CR for several years. I really like it. It is not muddy or dull and I get a lot of compliments on it.

Expect 20 to 25 hours at gig volume to break in a new CR.
    I set the volume on 4, treble on 7 to 8, bass on 3 to 4, reverb 2 to 3, speed 4 intensity 4 and use my guitar volume and tone knobs.
    For pedals I have an almost always on Archer Ikon (Klon clone) and I use an Ibanez AD9 delay.
    My main guitars have TV Jones Powertrons, Nocasters, and P-90's.
    I play mostly blues, classic rock and country.

RustleFuzz and soulman969 like this.
  7. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Could one expect the same results if one connected a cd player to a new amp and played (a let's say) 30Hz track from any hifi-test cd repeatedly for 24 hours?

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mike nailed it here. It will take a bit for a Crex to become fully broken in an open up. Once that happens all of it's tonal range will be more apparent. It's very smooth across it's entire tonal range but never muddy.

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

I've broken in all my speakers by removing them from the cab and using a low voltage 60 hz ac source (filament transformer, etc.) to exercise the cone at around 20% power for 4-5 hours or less.
    When you put it in a closet or isolated room, 60 hz doesn't blast the area like music material does.
    I wouldn't do it with the speaker in the cab; don't want to subject the amp/tubes to that resonate vibration.

trouserpress likes this.
  10. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

OP: I bought one of those and, like you, found it dark and muddy compared to another Princeton I have with a Jensen Alnico in it. I ended up selling the CR version because my ear couldn't get used to it. Maybe the CR wasn't broken in yet, it's possible, but I wasn't fond of the sound, personally speaking.

11. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Friend of Leo's

blille likes this.
  12. K-Line

K-Line Tele-Holic Vendor Member

Try a Wizard, I installed one in a PRRI and it sounded fantastic.

13. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone for the responses! I also find the Reverb on this amp to be way over the top. Even on 1 or 2 it seems like too much.
    Anyone experience that?

14. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

What I've heard you're not alone with this and people cure this with a 12AU7 tube in the reverb driver section.

15. markod

markod Tele-Meister

Cool. Thanks

16. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I put a new CR in my DRRI months ago to replace the stock Jensen C12K. When first installed, I thought "Oh no, this might not be the right choice". But I had read many reviews, and all say the same thing...give it time to break in. I recorded some stuff in a looper pedal, turned the amp up to around 4 (plenty loud but not crazy) and just let it play while my wife and I were at work. Noticed improvement after around 20 hrs, and more after the 40+ hr work week. Really like the speaker. I play a Tele and a '59 LP Reissue, and use a Fulltone OCD for dirt. The speaker does take pedals very well. Cleans are good, but I feel it really excels w overdrive/distortion/fuzz...IMO. Give it some time. Once I got to play a few gigs w it I was a CR believer!

Daytona.57 and jannodude like this.
  17. markod

markod Tele-Meister

I'll have to figure out how to do something like that. More time and effort has to go into this than I had figured but from your and other posts the reward is there!

RustleFuzz likes this.
  18. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

If it’s break in it needs just put the looper on and let it play for you for a few hours every day after you’re done :)

RustleFuzz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.