Princeton Pedal Question

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by DirectorDisch, Jan 9, 2019.

1. DirectorDisch

DirectorDisch TDPRI Member

Hi guys. I just got a Fender '65 Princeton Reverb with a 12" Cannabis Rex. it's the Tweed model that Sweetwater sells. The amp's sound is sublime! My one issue is that in order to really get the valves humming, I need to crank the volume, meaning I can't do that when the wife and kid are home. Do you have a pedal that you recommend that would get that great crunchy valve sound at low volumes, while maintaining the great sound of the Princeton valves? Thanks!

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben-Zion likes this.
  2. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

The Joyo American Sound is a great option. The voice, drive, and mid knobs can be dialed in to get a variety Fender tones. In general, keeping the voice knob below noon keeps you in Blackface territory, past that it gets more Tweed sounding. They can be found for around $35. You get Twin like cleans all the way to Neil Young "Tweed about to explode."

It can get a little noisy if the voice and drive are both turned up, but a lot of drive pedals are like that.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. DirectorDisch

Thanks, prior to posting, I was looking at the Soul Food and the OCD. This is the first pedal I'll purchase, and I've gotta tell you, it's equally overwhelming and confusing. The options seem limitless, and everyone seems to have a different favorite. Appreciate the reply!

4. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

You’ll get a million different answers, it’s such a subjective thing...The OCD you mentioned is very popular, you might try one, to start with.

Yeah, it can be a rabbit hole...

5. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I find the OCD a little fizzy for lower gain sounds, and a little over the top higher up on the gain knob.

I haven't tried a Soul Food but I've heard good things.

With my PR I use a Timmy and, to me, it's the perfect match.

King Fan likes this.
  6. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I like the red llama/green rhino combo with my prri.

7. DirectorDisch

I saw the Timmy got great reviews as well. An old hs friend was telling me to go Soul Food but the JHS modded one. Crazy. Even the pedals have deeper options.

8. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Holic

I have the '68 Silverface RI w/ a 10" speaker, so YMMV. That said, I'm in the same situation as the OP. I use an Ibanez TS 808 Tubscreamer, but have had good luck with the EHX East River Drive and the Chicago Stompworks Green Thing. These are both TS 808 copies. I haven't tried the TS9 OD or the zillion other low gain OD's that are out there...

9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Since you're not sure what you want, I would suggest going to a local store that has the Princeton and several types of overdrives, so you can try out several to find out which style you like. The main families of overdrives are Tube Screamer, Klon, OCD, Timmy, Bluesbreaker, Rat (which is technically a distortion, but can get overdrive type tones at lower gain settings), and Boss Blues driver types, as well as others. Or, if you can't do that, some Chinese companies make affordable copies of many of these types. For instance, Mosky has a Klon, a Tube Screamer, a Timmy, a Bluesbreaker, an OCD, and a Rat type, all for under $25 each.
    If I were you, I would start with a Bluesbreaker type, which kind of straddles the line between all the others, and the Mosky BB or Caline Orange Burst can both be had for less than $30, and both have bass and treble controls for more tonal versatility. Mosky also has their MM Timmy type, and Caline has the Pure Sky Timmy type (which is almost universally praised, as is their Orange Burst), both also with bass and treble controls, and available for less than $30.

10. DirectorDisch

Thanks. Would love to go try some, but I always clam up when I walk into a store, knowing people will be watching. I'm like George Mcfly.

11. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

12. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I primarily use a Ibanez TS808 and sometimes with it ran into a Wampler Black ‘65 OD pedals with my Fender amps. With these two pedals I can get SRV tones at most any volume.

I’d you want more British sounding tones go with a Greer Lightspeed OD pedal.

13. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

DOD OD250 is what I use with mine with good results.

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I gig with a 74 Princeton Reverb with a Cannabis Rex and I use a J Rockett Blue note or a J Rockett Archer Ikon. If you want more available dirt I have also used a Blackstone Appliance that had 2 separate overdrives. The Bad Monkey is actually a pretty good sounding pedal too.

In the past I used a Soul Food and found it lo-fi sounding and others I did not like were TS-9 and Joyo Ultimate Drive.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.