Princeton on 10, three different guitars.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by In Game Sound, Jan 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. In Game Sound

In Game Sound TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

I had it all set up so did a bluesy thing with the amp on 10. 335ish gtr, LP, and Strat. No compressor...

Let me know what you think!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ll take the L.P.’s sound over the other two.

3. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I would choose the Ibanez. A little more biting blues sound to my ears.

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All sound good to me.
    I can't see... are all on the neck pickup or...? It SOUNDS like the LP is on the Bridge pickup, the Strat is definitely on the Neck pickup visually. What are the tone controls set at? All wide open? etc etc etc It is very surprising that the Strat sounds a bit more muddy than the HB guitars, but maybe because it's on the neck pickup?
    Without details it means nothing. :rolleyes::)
    Inquiring minds.....

Dan German and In Game Sound like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I liked the Les Paul too, would have been nice to hear the neck pickup.
    A tele would have been nice to compare as well.:)

Fretting out and In Game Sound like this.
  6. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

All sound good here. I tend to find it hard to evaluate guitar tone without a good mixup of chords and lead playing though, as well as using different pickup positions.

The-Kid and In Game Sound like this.
  7. In Game Sound

In Game Sound TDPRI Member

The tone controls are all open. The Strat is on neck pickup, the other 2 are bridge. Ideally, a Strat would need a TS9 or something to drive the amp as the lower output pickups.... In hindsight, I should have done the second Strat solo with a Overdrive!!

8. Wally

I would be interested in how the tone controls were set on the amp, and were they changed for each guitar?
    Regarding the Strat’s sound, what I hear there is why almost every Fender single coil player has to have a boost for anything except pristine cleans, ime/imho. Those pickups do not push the input stage hard enough to get into the ‘heat’ zone, ime. IF one is in an amp that has more midrange than does the BF circuit, then perhaps a Strat single can mate to such an amp in a better manner to achieve these ‘hot’ blues sounds.
    The L.P. Is better by miles than the Ibanez, imho. I did not like the Strat sound at all. Also, fwiw, I am not afraid to play a bridge pickup on a Strat. I have had
    Strat players ask me...while I am playing their guitar, how I get the bridge p-up to sound so good. I tell them that I set the amp up for the bridge pickup. If the bridge sounds good, then the other two positions follow suit....as long as the setup is correct with regard to the pickup heights.

9. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I liked them all!

And I can see why you compared them like this. As much as big clean chords, etc., show these guitars' fundamental differences--when that's what you're looking to demonstrate--if you're instead diming the amp to show its facets when pushed by different guitars, pushing the amp in the same way with each guitar makes sense. I can also see why you chose the Strat neck rather than the bridge pickups you chose for the Ibby and the LP (granting that Wally is probably right about Strat bridge pickups being pushable if the amp is thus set). Thanks for doing this. Very interesting!

The Strat surprised me the most, as I think of it and use it as a chimy, slinky, bell-ringing thing. To me Knopfler's tones are the Strat's best tones. But even though it didn't have the backbone and bite of the Ibby 335 and the LP, it did have a nicely vicious scorch to it. It sounded like cobra with a dagger.

Yes, add a Tele, and a Gretsch!

Greggorios and In Game Sound like this.
  10. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

that's as dirty as it gets when it's dimed? that's disappointing.

In Game Sound likes this.
  11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Ibanzez, then Strat. LP sounded too trebly. Interesting experiment.

12. Wally

Divergence...and apologies.....but since we are talking Strats. Here is a cut with a Strat played on the neck...and the bridge. Pearson makes a Strat do whatever he wants it to do. It stings on that bridge doesn’t it? The amp goes ahead and works!! It takes a pedal or an overdriven preamp somehow to do that.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  13. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I liked them all too. I liked the LP better than the Ibanez, but the reason would be really hard to describe or quantify. I liked the Strat neck PU sound, but I always do. It seemed to me that the level was lower on the Strat, which I would also expect. If you raised the level of the Strat in the mix to match the other two guitars (keeping all other variables the same), I think I would prefer the Strat.

All that said, great sounding Princeton! It made all the guitars that you put through it shine. Nice playing too, by the way!

Skydog1010 and In Game Sound like this.
  14. Wally

mod the amp or use an EQ pedal to push some mods and that amps gets different!

15. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They all sound good. The Paul is nice and smooth, the Ibby a bit brighter with more bite, and the Strat is just tasty - it has that hollow-in-just-the-right-place thing going on that only a Strat in the neck position can do - I definitely preferred the Strat. You could tell the Strat was lower output, but once my ears acclimated to the level and gain change, it was definitely my fave.

A Tele bridge would have been amazing to compare, especially to the Ibby.

EDIT: Oh, and some solid playing there! Lots of flavour!

moosie and In Game Sound like this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

yeah, i know, but it's still disappointing. you want amps to roar when you turn them up all the way.

17. Wally

If you want a Princeton Reverb that ‘roars’; ime you either mod it, run a pedal or pedals, or buy a River era Super Champ....which is a Princeton Reverb that will roar because it has options built into it to allow that.

18. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

The Strat just sounded “right” to me with that setup. Like they were made for each other.

The-Kid and In Game Sound like this.
  19. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Interesting. As a player, I have difficulty bonding with strats, yet I liked the strat best of the three. Even more interesting, I lean towards bridge pickup. Of the two humbuckers, I preferred the LP, even though, given a choice, I would pick almost any semi-hollow over an LP.

The-Kid, In Game Sound and CapnCrunch like this.
  20. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I too have a love/hate relationship with Strats. I love them when I listen to other people play them. I can't ever seem to be able to squeeze what I love out of them though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.