Princes Tele , What Happened To It

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spruce, May 19, 2011.

1. spruce

spruce Banned

Awesome , thank you , I saw one of his purple symbol guitars for sale on eBay a couple months back , PRN productions I think , it was used on some mag cover shoot , I think the guy wanted about 20,000 it came with a he'll of a load of provenance too

2. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I thought he might've used the Gibson on 'Prince' and by the time of Dirty Mind moved on to the 'Tele', Dirty Mind certainly had a very Tele-sound to it and it was his primary guitar on that tour.. I could very well be wrong though

3. tniers

tniers NEW MEMBER!

Sorry no info on that.
    I love Prince but don't you think Jimi played more spontaneously, with more feeling, less polished and rehearsed and less gimicking?

4. tniers

tniers NEW MEMBER!

Prince and Hendrix

Sorry no info on that.
    I love Prince but don't you think Jimi played more spontaneously, with more feeling, less polished and rehearsed and less gimicking?

5. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I saw Prince for the first time last spring. What a showman! Plays, sings, and dances like a MF...in high heals to boot! Yeah, it was a bit polished but arena shows kind of have to be. Though every show on the recent tour had a different setlist. And he played his Honer all night.

But I have a ton of bootlegs and his aftershows are nothing but spontaneous, deep funk jams.

And Jimi had plenty of gimmicks of his own. ;)

6. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

Does anyone know what amp he prefers?

7. CostaRicaJones

CostaRicaJones Tele-Meister

Orange amps? LOL.

8. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I found the answer. On the site with pictures of the guitar it shows Prince's pedalboard connected to a Mesa Boogie Lone Star. It's his setup for the Planet Earth tour. He obviously loves Boss, too.

9. pdxjoel

pdxjoel Tele-Holic

I had the same question. Seen that trick a few times, but I've never seen it come back down. Totally a PRO move.

10. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

11. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

That cat just brings it, EVERY TIME. He's amazing.

M

12. CostaRicaJones

CostaRicaJones Tele-Meister

Hat tip. Good find!
    (I was making a color joke, based on his love of purple.)

13. k0nx

k0nx TDPRI Member

Chuck Norris is Prince's roady?! I never new...

14. k0nx

k0nx TDPRI Member

He's a great player, one of the more underrated guys in the business I guess.
    But what a horrible version of this great song.. like Paula frying a cheese cake
    http://youtu.be/42oUVwyFsZI
    .. putting together lots of goody-goodness doesn't always make the end result better..

15. Nub

Nub Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I caught that... I just thought it was funny because he really did use 'em. I always thought it would've been cool if he'd had those amps recovered in purple, but left the Orange faceplates & badges on them. :) Btw, here's another pic of that stage setup:

[​IMG]

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have since learned that not every Hohner that you see him play is necessarily a Hohner. Before the "Purple rain" tour he commissioned Roger Sadowski (Yup, THAT Sadowski) to make him a couple of copies with the request to make them "usable stage guitars"

Which begs the question if Prince himself had gotten a little frustrated with that cheap copy that he normally was so fond of. From what I learned the Hohner was prone to feedback and hummed like crazy, that integrated wireless I pointed out several times apparently was also meant to help the overall usability of the guitar.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This picture from around the Grafiiti Bridge era shows Prince's stage guitars, twin Hohners but if either one really is the real deal I have no idea.

17. HohnerFan

HohnerFan TDPRI Member

18. guitarbiker

guitarbiker Tele-Holic

I still don't get him. It seems like an embarrassment for all the other musicians' on stage with him. Nothing innovative, fresh, or good. Lots of energy though, and knows how to dance......I would have kicked him in the nuts and left the bandstand. I guess thats why I just keep on gigging, and practising..? And living in the poorhouse....What a waste of time.

19. axeornot

axeornot Tele-Meister

Many many musicians have been quoted as having enormous respect for Prince...''Nothing innovative, fresh or good''...What!? Have you listened closely to his last few releases? Prince is a multi-instrumentalist, an amazing lyricist, he's a strong vocalist with a highly distinctive voice....He also produces and performs on other people's recordings, under a couple of different names. Yes he is theatrical...but the guy is no less than brilliant!!

I don't understand your last couple sentences...So your gigging and practicing are a waste of time? I have to say, if you were at the level of musicianship where you were playing with Prince...I'm doubting you'd even be thinking about kicking him in the nuts, but rather, you'd know that he's somebody that you could learn a great deal from.

20. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

Make sure he's not holding one of those souped up Hohner's when you take your swing
    Might break your foot on it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.