Prince Tremolo Reverb the 2nd

Bitsleftover

Tele-Holic
I took a notch out of the board with a band saw to provide a bit of room around the impedance selector where otherwise things were going to get pretty tight
CB424DFB-EB5D-47FE-8422-06BEC4E101AB.jpeg

willholt92

Tele-Meister
Ah it's looking great Mick, the faceplate looks awesome.

I just got mine through from tubetown over christmas too and I've been really impressed by the quality. Swerved any import duty too which was a result.

Are you doing a turret board or eyelet?

Bitsleftover

Tele-Holic
C6AF58AC-8269-4AE8-B779-7A56C404B8A9.jpeg
2BF7717B-6216-454C-BBAD-79280E121286.jpeg
Thanks Will.
Im glad you’re happy with the Plexi faceplate. I thought the Plexi one they did me was stunning!
Im going with eyelets on this one which is a first for me. Not sure I’m going to like them. There doesn’t look like much room but it must be doable. I’ll see how it goes.
I got a bit of progress today. Transformers mounted. Fuse, switch, pilot light and heaters wired in…. Getting there

Attachments

• F9C97E47-91C7-4D34-B717-1C951D447664.jpeg
    F9C97E47-91C7-4D34-B717-1C951D447664.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 14

willholt92

Tele-Meister
View attachment 936040 View attachment 936042 Thanks Will.
Im glad you’re happy with the Plexi faceplate. I thought the Plexi one they did me was stunning!
Im going with eyelets on this one which is a first for me. Not sure I’m going to like them. There doesn’t look like much room but it must be doable. I’ll see how it goes.
I got a bit of progress today. Transformers mounted. Fuse, switch, pilot light and heaters wired in…. Getting there

Yeah really happy with TubeTown thanks for the tip. Got a couple of logos made for future amps as well using up the sheet.

Ah cool, yeah I'm thinking of doing an eyelet for my next one and seeing how it goes. Tungsten amps put a video on Instagram of him making one a bit back and it looked fairly simple.

Looking forward to seeing yours progress.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I'm quite interested in this, as I'd been musing about a "Tweed Princeton Reverb" since early summer.

The question I have though, is where does the "overdrive" happen in a 5F2-A when you start turning up the volume? I worry that it starts in the 2nd triode in the circuit, and if the reverb tails feed into that it might cause all sorts of raucous artifacts.

You could instead move it to after the 2nd triode, but then you have the problem of having Reverb inside the NFB loop.

Quite the connundrum!

I was going to put the Reverb after the 2nd triode, and add a 3rd triode after that and attach the NFB there. The other half of the tube used for the 3rd triode was going to power the vibrato circuit. Unfortunately, my design starts looking more and more like a SE BF Princeton Reverb, and it gets away from the elegant simplicity that is the Tweed Princeton.

I want to see how Bits' setup works out! :D

echuta13

TDPRI Member
One way to help prevent blocking distortion is to install a grid stopper resistor on the second triode. If you look at the "mix" resistor in Mr. Bitsleftover's schematic it serves the part of mixer and grid stopper at the same time. I'm not sure if global NFB was implemented in this amp or not, and that will make a difference in the gain and tone of the amp for sure. I hope this design works out as I have something similar that I would like to move on (eventually...) 👍

Bitsleftover

Tele-Holic
I'm quite interested in this, as I'd been musing about a "Tweed Princeton Reverb" since early summer.
The question I have though, is where does the "overdrive" happen in a 5F2-A when you start turning up the volume? I worry that it starts in the 2nd triode in the circuit, and if the reverb tails feed into that it might cause all sorts of raucous artifacts.

You could instead move it to after the 2nd triode, but then you have the problem of having Reverb inside the NFB loop.

Quite the connundrum!

I was going to put the Reverb after the 2nd triode, and add a 3rd triode after that and attach the NFB there. The other half of the tube used for the 3rd triode was going to power the vibrato circuit. Unfortunately, my design starts looking more and more like a SE BF Princeton Reverb, and it gets away from the elegant simplicity that is the Tweed Princeton.

I want to see how Bits' setup works out! :D
This I s actually a rebuild of an amp I built, experimented with, added to and modded to come up with this set of compromises. (Prince reverb tremolo the 1st I suppose)
I initially inserted the reverb after the second gain stage, but the dry signal overwhelmed the wet to the point that the reverb could only just be heard when set to full. I experimented placing it after the first gain stage and the reverb has a much stronger effect.
With regards to distorted tones….
I found this position to be the best compromise. But just that. A compromise.
It sounds way better (less muddy) than putting a pedal infront of the amp when distorted. But admittedly not as clear and pristine as putting a pedal in the effects loop of an amp designed with its distortion coming only from its preamp.
I posted a very short clip in another thread but the audio was very quiet.
I’ll see if I can find it & post a link.

Last edited:

Bitsleftover

Tele-Holic
One way to help prevent blocking distortion is to install a grid stopper resistor on the second triode. If you look at the "mix" resistor in Mr. Bitsleftover's schematic it serves the part of mixer and grid stopper at the same time. I'm not sure if global NFB was implemented in this amp or not, and that will make a difference in the gain and tone of the amp for sure. I hope this design works out as I have something similar that I would like to move on (eventually...) 👍
I didn’t have NFB last time around.
One thing I did have installed that I haven’t included this time around, was VVR on the power amp. By the time I’d failed down the power amp voltage to get the volume where I wanted it, the NFB signal was drastically reduced and made hardly any difference at all.
I’m looking forward to experimenting with a few different values and approaches this time around once the rest of the amp is up and running.