Prince, live in 1981 "Dirty mind" tour, awesome footage.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Dec 3, 2019 at 6:12 PM.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, what can I say about this?

Other than "Enjoy watching!"

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Epic telecaster solo starting at 7:00 ;)

fendertx likes this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I remember when he was the opening act for the Stones on the Tattoo You tour in '81. He got booed off the stage in LA.

4. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

Prince is easily in my top 3 or 4 musicians of all time. strong artistic vision, and the willpower to record the entire album on his own, if necessary. a thoroughly amazing human being. gone way too soon.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Incredible artist. Truly gifted and he fully realised those gifts. The artist of the '80s. I only saw him once when I knew very little about him before the gig and was astounded how brilliant he AND band were together. I didn't evn know he played guitar until.... some 5 minute insane solo.. was gobsmacked.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Compare Eric Clapton's rendition:

To Prince's rendition:

I know which is my fave. How 'bout you?

Average_Joe likes this.
  7. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Meister

he did a face melting rendition of Radiohead's "Creep" back in 2008, too!

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's a little historic footage.

This was the very first time this song was ever performed live and it also was the show which was recorded for the "Purple rain" album and Movie.

Now if you listen to the version which appeared on that said album and movie, you will find several differences, Prince had a multi track recorder getting in the feeds from the board directly, which enabled him to work the song out to his liking in the studio later.

THIS is a list of what Prince changed and overdubbed.
    - Wendy's guitar track, because her guitar was slightly out of tune, note also that her sound on the finished version sounds fuller, as she used the neck pickup of her Rickenbacker rather than both pickups like she did on the performance.
    - Lisa and Doctor's keyboard parts were toned down to the point that you barely hear them.
    - A real string quartet came in to replace the keyboard parts although Prince phased the tracks to make them sound haunting.
    - Prince removed the third verse, as it simply didn't anything to the song.
    - Prince redid his entire guitar solo, you can tell that he kept it true to his original but left out several licks, shortened it considerably and actually used a different guitar. According to his studio crew and Dave Rusan himself, "Purple Rain" was the very first time where Prince used his as yet to become legendary White Cloud guitar.
    [​IMG]

You can also hear it when Prince played "Purple rain" live, he did the entire show with the Hohner, only switching for the Cloud for "Purple Rain" and the difference in sound is not only instant but also unmistakable, it simply is THAT sound.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.