Prince "Kiss" the evolution of a monster hit.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I guess not everybody knows the story but back in 1986 Prince had started a music label called "Paisley park records and had a host of acts releasing their music on there.
    [​IMG]
    Among them a band called Mazarati. Whom Prince really liked so he send over producer David Z. (brother of his then drummer Bobby Z.) to work with them and gifted them a couple of songs. Among those was THIS little ditty.

So when Mazarati got to work on that song and pushed it into an entirely different direction, David Z. called up Prince and told him "Dude, you HAVE come down and listen to this!"

Prince, recognizing a hit single when he heard one, took action, told the band he was taking the song back, put it on his upcoming "Parade" album and release it as a single.

BUT, honor to those who deserve it, gave the band ALL the credit, thanked them in the liners' notes and kept most of their arrangement and vocals intact.

So what did Prince do to push the song over the edge?
    - Removed the bass track
    - Got out his old Lynn Drum and replaced the drum track
    - Did the lead vocals in his own signature falsetto style but kept them completely dry, NO reverb at all.

But the biggest change he made was the thing which truly brought the song to life.
    - He had Wendy Melvoin do a very funky guitar part.

And just for fun, here's the very first cover version of "Kiss" done by the Dutch band Bertus Staigerpaip who made it into a song about a pair of pants with a busted zipper. Of course, this being a Prince song, the purple one himself had to asked permission for them to release it. Prince gave the go-ahead, which shows his terrific sense of humor.

Fiesta Red, nojazzhere, dswo and 6 others like this.
  2. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Great history lesson! I wouldn't have heard it from acoustic demo. Nice job, Mazaratti.and David Z. for giving it life.

3. 5595bassman

5595bassman Tele-Holic

I have been intoduced to this song through this verson :

SnidelyWhiplash and nojazzhere like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

"Kiss" is really just "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"

archetype and Hatfield92 like this.
  5. blowtorch

I saw that band in a club s called Ferrari's. Mazarati in Ferrari's.
    And Dez was cool, man. This was at the height of the EVH worship, and Dez was smart enough to lay tons of guitar histronics and heroics into the act

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  6. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

The groove in the Prince version is SO infectious
    Man was a genius

Marc Morfei likes this.
  7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yes, and a thousand other songs too. That’s kind of the brilliance of it. He took basically a standard blues progression and turned it into something completely original.

SnidelyWhiplash and nojazzhere like this.
  8. blowtorch

No. I mean "Kiss" is REALLY JUST "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"

I'm as big a Prince fan as you're likely to run into in a month of Sundays. But Prince owes James for this one.

Big time

9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I never saw Prince live myself but in these intergoogle years if you watch his live work James Brown influence is very evident.

10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I am in my 50s and have seen a lot of concerts and live shows. Prince was the best show I have ever seen, absolutely. He was so commanding, so effortlessly great. There was no pretense to it, he was the real deal. And he let his band shine, and his band killed. My number one goal in all of music was to see him in concert again. What a tragedy.

joe_cpwe likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.