1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pricing on Used Fender 50's Classic Telecasters & Esquires

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by AJ Love, Jan 20, 2018.

1. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I've been looking into possibly purchasing a used MIM 50's Classic... In the past I'd see them on sale here for $525-$575 or so, which I think is priced correctly as they sell new for @ $899... On Reverb I see them listed for $700+ which seems crazy to me, and they just sit there for months and months...

Any insight on this from anyone? Used guitars seem to be selling pretty slowly as it is, and it seems to me like a "market adjustment" of back into the $525 range will be an accurate value for those 50's Classics. Am I wrong?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  2. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They do a nitro lacquer one that sells for about a third more (pics will show gold Fender logo).

3. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Shoot sellers offers on reverb, alot of the time I'll get a counter offer. If it's still too high, I'll politely decline and sometimes I'll get an email back saying they agree to my price.

soulman969 and AJ Love like this.
  4. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

You'd think they'd want to sell them. That's why they went to the trouble of making the listing isn't it? I've seen stuff sit on there for years. It only took me about a week to sell my Rickenbacker. When I'm looking on Reverb I usually scroll pretty fast right past 90% of everything. Once in a while you see a realistic listing. Those are the ones I stop on and maybe make an offer. I just ignore the all the rest. I consider it clutter.

AJ Love and MickM like this.
  5. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

The MIM 50's Lacquer Teles that do sell on Reverb are generally in the $500-$575 range... Occasionally I'll see some sell for 6 something or even 7 something but those seem to be the exceptions. The vast majority of the ones priced at $650+ just sit for months

6. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Tele-Afflicted

"Once in a while you see a realistic listing. Those are the ones I stop on and maybe make an offer."

Curious
    If it's are3aqlistic iff,. why do you offer lower?(I presume)

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

richiek65, PhatBoy and AJ Love like this.
  8. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

To answer your question and a message to Reverb sellers:

Realistic means they're in the ballpark and want to play ball. If it's a super reasonable price then I'd just go ahead and buy it before someone else did if I wanted it real bad. If your item sits there for weeks. Your price is probably way too high. I priced my Rickenbacker at the high end of what that model was selling for which was a few hundred dollars less than the 10 other identical used Rickenbackers that were on there. Mine sold and the others are probably still sitting there. I took an offer that was around $100 less than my "reasonable" price. So mine sold right at the average of what they are going for. Do you want to sell your thing or just watch it sit there with little interest and few "watchers" who are only watching it, waiting for you to bring your price down to somewhere reasonable? Bring it down and then people will start making decent offers. Take the best offer. That's just reality. I guarantee no matter how special you think your item is, it's not a gold mine. Be realistic and stop cluttering up Reverb.

TN Blues and AJ Love like this.
  9. AJ Love

AJ Love Friend of Leo's

I agree Gobi... There is a Mint Condition 50's Lacquer (I have no affiliation with it) listed on
    Reverb for $850 plus $75 shipping. That is more than a Brand New one! (Brand New is $899 and you can get free shipping). Maybe the seller is willing to sit on it for months just hoping somebody will come along and buy it, just seems strange to me.... I know he is free to ask any price he wants, of course...

gobi_grey likes this.
  10. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Used mint or near mint $900 x .8
    Very good $900 x .7 - .75
    Distress or GAS sale, Owner reliced $900 x .6 - .65

Case or Gig bag, upgrades pickups etc. can add or subtract a bit

AJ Love likes this.
  11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

$675-$700 is a fair listing price for a lacquer version and $100 less for the regular so anything from $525 to $700 could be "in the market" depending on which model and it's condition. But asking price is only that.

If you see one you like make an offer. IME dealers who need to move old inventory are more likely to accept less than a private seller. Do that and you'll get what you want for a price you want to pay.

AJ Love likes this.
  12. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

About a month ago Chicago Music Exchange had one on Reverb for around 500 bucks. Only lasted a day.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Pricing used items at near to what they retail at is the sort of thing my dad does, hoping there is a fool in the market

Sometimes there is

If people had to pay to list classifieds there would be a lot less pie in the sky

Sometimes I see what I like at stupid money and message saying 'completed sales on eBay are X. I am happy to pay you this but if you don't want market value then please do not counter offer'

50% of the time they see sense. I am happy giving people a fair deal/walking away, but there are too many deals to overpay. I do a lot of negotiation in my job and know I could screw desperate people down if I wanted but I just don't

14. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think so many people low ball on Reverb that everyone jacks their list price up. I just bought a 50s Tribute Les Paul for $150 under what they were asking

And they took it on my first offer

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.