pricing on CS Telecasters all over the place

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by LarryJunior, May 17, 2019.

1. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

It seems like price vary ALOT( sometimes thousands of dollars difference. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the prices.Some are 3K or it could be 4K for a seemingly similar guitar. How does Fender price them or are the dealers setting their own prices? Is there a "list" price on CS guitars from Fender that you can get say 40% off?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

I have been told by a few dealers that Fender, just like Gibson, does not have a list price on the custom shop instruments. They do have the MAP price though.

I just got my latest CS Tele a few weeks ago for $2495 - NEW. The one before that was $2999 with lest features, though it is a Relic and the new on is a NOS.

3. VillainSean

VillainSean TDPRI Member

Yeah, the different finish options seem to help drive the pricing. I've also observed that say "limited editions" tend to run a bit higher as well.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Relic options raise price due to man-hours - more relicc'd more expensive.

Then there's pickups - custom buckets cost more than plain old Nocaster/Broadcasters. Inlays, exotic/figured woods. Limited and artist Sig series - more again.

5. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

Is there a easy way to get a MAP price or does every CS guitar seller have it's own set price per the particular guitar? If the guitar is selling for 4K ,do you think I could get it for at least 10-15% off ??

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you want an actual custom made CF guitar you pay what they ask.
    If you're fine with a standard product but want it in a CS version, there are plenty on the used market.
    Or scour for deals on new ones.
    I doubt there's a tried and true bargain basement priced CS dealer anywhere.
    That's kind of the point of "custom".

7. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

The best pricing I've found on Fender CS guitars is Dave's Guitar Shop in Wisconsin. Dave must have some kind of special deal with Fender.....I don't know. But check out his pricing.

nocastermike and VillainSean like this.
  8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Relics are more expensive than pristine guitars .. Also their masterbuilt versions where one of their master luthiers have made the guitars himself are more expensive than their teambuilt version.

Finally CS guitars start their live at MAP price and slowly fall in price .. if they are not sold 2-3 years down the line they go on a deep sale.

VillainSean likes this.
  9. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

Well,I checked out that $4K Tele. It was a new Closet Classic ,The neck had no relicing at all,It felt like a regular new satin finish .The body only had very light checking.It was nice but I wasn't very impressed for that much money.I think it's a limited edition so thats why it's so high.There was also a new Jimmy Page there that was half the cost.

10. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

There IS a difference in "QUALITY" between the standard versions (non-CS) and the CS models. However, you need to define what QUALITY means for YOU. It really starts of with better components, from woods, to necks, to hardware to pups. They all make a difference. Then, the selection and the " marrying-up " of these components is a very important factor in getting the end results right. Sorting by type of wood, weights, etc etc has to be done by folks that KNOW their job. You can see that each time you want the " doctor" to attend to your (guitar) body the price goes up pretty rapidly. These CS are still a combination of hand and machine operations of course but, unlike boutique builders, the Fender guys just walk down the warehouse and select from a large inventory of parts which eliminates some of the pitfalls of one-offs.
    I have come to the conclusion that a CS guitar is a better option than most of the vintage guitars of the same brand and same model / year. I recall having literally throwing my fiesta red / rosewood neck 1958 Strat ... yes the real thing... on the floor because I could not keep it in tune.... intonation was all over the place, the wammy bar never got back in tune.. you name it ( in the end I swapped it for a 12 string no-name guitar) . I know... I know..!!
    So, I had a '58, I had a '61 and a '62 original ( '61 being the best with a slab rosewood neck)... I got a few '70s Strats and Tele Custom but nothing was inspirational. They were gust a plank of wood with strings on it. In the '80's things changed with Fender getting a real kick in the arsenic when they found out the Japan and Korea built better stuff for a lot less money. So I invested in a 1982 ( first year I believe ) of the Re-issues and THAT WAS / IS a good guitar . I still have it ( V-serial number) Fiesta red Strat of course with maple neck this time. I found the 1982-84'ish to be the best built Fender you could own all the way up to..... the Custom Shop '90s guitars ( late 1990s).
    Fast forward, 2010's. By then, the CS had improved, more choices, more selection and more DEFINITION of models and a more experience team of builders and a better marketing approach that tells their customers what is available.
    I have amassed a few CS Strats and Teles and here is my opinion.

While I never liked the idea of paying big bucks for beaten up guitars, the Relic's started to grow on me.. they can be thrown around a bit more ( one more ding is going to make zero difference) but.. somehow the Fender CS builders have figured out what combination of parts will yield a sound monster that you can buy OFF THE SHELF that has a sound and a feel that represents something that you know, have heard about, have experienced and that will work for you. So you can buy and play and get exactly what you expected this instrument to do ( in almost all cases). There is near zero crap-shoot and Fender's 5 year warranty will take care of you should you have a problem. I believe the warranty is 5 years - not sure).

I currently own a '52 CS Nocaster, a '52 Tele heavy relic, '54 CS 60th Anniv Golden Era, '56 CS Strat (with Josephine Campos pickups) and another CS '57. They are all tone monsters.. ALL of them.

I have no affiliation with Fender, nor do I get paid or compensated because I realize, this email looks and sounds like a free advertisement. It is not. It's just my experience with the brand.

tube.tone and EsquireBoy like this.
  11. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Tele-Meister

I agree with the above post #10 from Kontaktmoi. My Experience has been exactly the same.

I have owned many vintage Fenders over the years. My first Fender Custom shop guitar was a new Cunetto in the mid 1990's. Before that the 80's AVRI's and before that real vintage Fender's in the early 1970's (pre CBS used Fenders for a bargain price, what's "vintage"?). In the mid 2000's I started buying Fender Masterbuilt Teles and Strats. IMHO, there is no comparison to anything with the Fender name on it, from any era, that bests these top of the line custom shop Masterbuilt Fender models.

I love most era's of Fenders. I don't wanna give those up. But I only buy the new Fender Masterbuilt models anymore. They are incredible guitars!

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  12. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Ye, the never ending story about .. I just want ONE more...
    I must say that I have a bunch of old vintage stuff. Guitars I collected over the last 30 years; Bowling ball Strat, Playboy Strat, THE STRAT, some 1982-1984 Strats including CC California Gold, Telecaster 50th Anniversary, Setneck Tele and Strat, the usual. When I got the " urge" to move up to the Custom Shop guitars I saw there too the push from the manufacturer to move the customer up to more expensive models. In fact early CS models , 1990's and 2000's are really good value right now. You really can look at those ALL as MASTER BUILT guitars because the CS team was soo small and the demand was not as big as nowadays. So those guitars really should command a premium... but they don't...YET! HINT... There is some serious upside here assuming they will get their own valuation criteria ( EARLY CUSTOM SHOP) .
    I have made the decision to have 1/2 dozen or so of the 1950's models in various finishes and state of "beaten-up look and feel".
    I do think we are getting to the LAW OF DIMINISHING RETURNS where the OPTIONS in the build are the larger part of the instrument. That to me is no longer of interest. Custom Shop guitars with their large selection and huge availability ( for off-the-shelf specials and models) is putting a lid on the value and desirability for me for the top end models.
    There are literally hundreds of Custom Shop guitars on Reverb and eBay, lots of them are brand new. That means that Fender stuffed " the channel" as we call it. The dealers now have to move the products and the only way they can do it is by being competitive on pricing ( and a few other gimmicks I do not want to go into ) .
    Those prices are pretty well exceeding the prices of the original 1960 Vintage guitars and if I would want to go that route... I would hunt for 1950-1960 real old guitars because the typically don't get played, they get talked about and stroked!.
    And, never lose the perspective that guitar prices may also get their very own market crash.....
    Cheers
    HarryR

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  13. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Totally by accident, I found this video.

Check it out. 4 different HIGH DOLLAR Telecasters and how pickups change the soul.
    My favorite is the Black CS. Luscious - full and ballsy.

14. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

The CS models are a very good value at 2 to 3k. Above that it depends if you find that one that makes you lose sleep. Wildwood 10,s are pretty awesome,and every nocaster I've tried was a killer.

Kontaktmoi likes this.
  15. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

hey kontaktmoi...., what can you tell me about your '54 CS 60th Anniv Golden Era? is that a strat your talking about?i have a 2014 custom shop strat 60th ann. heavy relic ,1 piece body,u shape neck.i want to find a tele that is just as good! i am really starting to think i want a 1 piece body on the tele too.the strat just vibrates and sustains like craZy..maybe it's the fat u shape neck too..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  16. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

I have one of those yes. In fact it was the first CS Strat I bought. One piece body, HUGE Neck, 50's pickups, gold hardware. It's a fabulous sounding guitar. Just need to get used to the neck a bit because there are not too many around like that! I bought some more since and they ALL have big necks because.....
    I DO believe that the fat necks adds to the sustain. I do think that the one piece body in combination with the Heavy Relic which takes a serious chuck of the paint off contributes to the "open-ness" of the sound and the inherent acoustic response when you play it unplugged and when you combine that with the fact that the wood is ASH, it just is a monster.
    I also have a year 2000 1951 NOCASTER , one piece ASH body , huge neck of course with NOCASTER pickups. That also is just a great sounding guitar and it is DIFFERENT than my second CS Tele " is a 2007 '52 Custom shop which has an ALDER body and '52 pickups ( again I can not find / see the seam in the body I think it also is a one piece body although the Spec sheet says it's not. Sound is pretty close to the 51 NOCASTER but has a more "ballsy" sound. Again this has a nocaster size neck. I prefer the 52' Relic over the NOCASTER especially using a Fender Deluxe reverb with Jensen Alnico. It really sparkles and pushes the amp more ( indicating pickups are more powerful = overwound perhaps ). You can not go wrong with either of them.
    I attached some pictures.. IMG_2351.JPG IMG_1274.JPG IMG_2647.JPG

17. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Music Zoo also also has loads of CS guitars. Sometimes some will sit around for a while and they discount them. I got a '63 CS closet classic tele for $2,495. Still a lot of money but a really great guitar. Playability is outstanding.

18. LarryJunior

LarryJunior TDPRI Member

thanks for the info,i have the same color strat as yours kontaktmoi! it definitely is the BEST guitar i've ever owned.i would love to find a tele that can keep up with it.

19. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

IMG_3124.JPG
    You are welcome..

Get a C neck AT THE VERY MINIMUM. I suggest you try a rosewood neck Tele to get some perspective... The rosewood neck is definitely easier to play because they usually come with a smaller fretwire..
    Do try the Telecaster Custom AVRI '62 model with CS Pickups. You may be surprised ( lot's of YOUTUBE video's ) . I have a 2007 year model.. See pic attached. It's Surf green model with binding. GORGEOUS!

Here are the specs..

Model Name: American Vintage ‘62 Telecaster® Custom - (857) Surf Green (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Model Number: 010-6200-(Color #)
    Series: American Vintage Series
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple, “C” Shape, (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)
    Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets
    Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
    Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)
    Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
    Machine Heads: Fender®/Gotoh® Vintage Style Tuning Machines
    Bridge: Original Vintage Tele Bridge with 3 Threaded Steel Saddles
    Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
    Pickups: Two ‘62 Tele® Custom Single-Coil Pickups (Neck & Bridge)
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Neck Pickup with Tone Control (Bright Vintage Circuit)
    Position 3. Neck Pickup with No Tone Control (Dark Vintage Circuit)
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Colors: (800) 3-Color Sunburst,
    (806) Black,
    (857) Surf Green,
    (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    (808) Ocean Turquoise, Disc. 1/2007,
    (883) Ice Blue Metallic, Disc. 1/2007,
    (824) Inca Silver, Disc. 1/2002,
    (854) Dakota Red, Disc. 1/2002,
    (809) Candy Apple Red, Disc. 1/2001

IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3150.JPG IMG_3855.JPG

BramptonRob1958 likes this.
  20. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Here are some of my Telecasters... I think I am done... but that may change tomorrow...it happened before .LOL IMG_4608.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.