Pricing Help: 2019 CS '51 Nocaster....

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Texicaster, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

¡Bueno!™

So I am visiting CA for one more day and have been in discussions about buying a 2019 FENDER NOCASTER Telecaster 1951 CS Heavy Relic. Owner has dropped in some CS Josephina pups (I forget which variety) but will include the originals as well.

While I see them on Reverb as low as $3500 the seller seems hard fast at $4K.

I've exhausted my abilities to determine if this is a decent price.

I'm concerned that since the pups were swapped the fact it doesn't match the floor traveler dings the price more. Not that the upgrade is bad but I'd be inclined to get a CS as I imagine the skills with a soldering iron of the CS are better than some hobbyist..... so...My inclination is to offer 60% of list and buy the the Josephinas at $500 which gets me to $3200....

So we have an $800 bridge to cross...

Should I consider the Josephina's an upgrade as the seller claims or simply a swap? Again now it's not 100% CS assembled so has to lose some value.....I imagine anyways....

I'm trying hard not to be a jerk and offer and uninformed lowball insult. Just wondering if my thinking makes sense...

Intangibles aside could you offer some pricing help and perhaps a review of this guitar> I've read some glowing ones but I trust the good citizens of TDPRIville more than the anonymous interweb ramblings.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I don't think you are too far off-base starting at $3200, if you are willing negotiate a bit and really want the guitar.

If I was going for this specific guitar, I'd probably initially offer $3500 with the original pickups included and start there.
    Since the original pups are being included, restoring to the original state is pretty straight forward.
    I don't feel pickups changes are that big of a deal breaker, unless you are looking at this strictly as an investment.

I have the 2019 version of this guitar, but with a standard "relic" finish not the "heavy relic".
    Mine came with "handwound" pickups, so to me replacing custom shop pickups with other custom shop pickups is more a "cross-grade" not an "upgrade".

Just my Sunday morning, "not yet caffeinated" thoughts ;)

Texicaster, Greggorios and nojazzhere like this.
  3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First off.....everyone is saying the used guitar market is out of sight. (on pricing) And, as someone who doesn't give a flying fig about Custom Shop or anything OTHER than how a guitar plays, feels and sounds, so there's no way I'm paying $4000 OR $3200 for a 2019 guitar......but that's me. I also don't buy anything based on "resale" value or investment.....just not in my wheelhouse. As to "upgrades"?....if I bought it I'd UPGRADE to Bootstrap Pickups anyway, so there's that.
    So, basically, my opinion is worthless to you, sorry. Good luck......;)

4. Texicaster

Personal taste and idea aside the current used market is not a good place to start for "actual" value.

Many will say the value is what you can get for it but I say it's what I can resell it for. I'm seeing them used for over $4000 but not sure if they're getting that or a few guys decided to take a chance with inflated numbers... Reverb has a price guide but I can't pinpoint the CS Nocaster with it. Has data from 10 years ago....

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Texicaster

Reconsidering this point I agree! I want a 2021. From June! No more old stuff I want a fresh guitar! Just like wine!

:D

posttoastie and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not sure I understand a distinction between "what you can get for it" and "what I can resell it for" ? Selling is selling......What a seller is willing to take and what a buyer is willing to give.....THAT is the value. (on the market) I may not agree with a seller's price, so I don't buy. You may not agree with my offer, so you don't sell. Anyway you look at it, if an item has ACTUALLY SOLD for a dollar amount, that IS the value. (until another one sells for more or less) It's how a "market" is controlled. ;)

7. Joelski144

Joelski144 TDPRI Member

Guitars are a seller's market right now, so it's take it or leave it. You get the original pups with the guitar, so that's called an upgrade (in the seller's eyes), and spare pickups in the buyer's. If you don't want the Josefina's, make an offer for the guitar with the original pickups replaced. The problem with heavy relics on the secondary market is that warped neck aside, you don't know if that guitar has been a case queen, or left out in the yard overnight. Most of the time, you can find new for equal to, or less than the secondary market is demanding... you simply have to find it in stock.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Texicaster

I think this is coming to an end. Fender is shipping and new ones can be had for ~$3800. Seller has yet to admit this to himself and keeps insisting his is "different". I can get a same as Wildwood 10 lighter relic for $3850 with the same Josephina pups...CS picked and installed instead of some parted out CS the seller got it from and soldered in himself. I was about to jump on it and the guy on the phone with WW said don't sweat it they have plenty on the way in if this one sells....

I don't mind going into a shop to play a couple on speculation but like to come up with a reasonable offer before I waste a sellers times. This one seems cool! Too bad (for me!) the seller has higher expectations than I'm willing to fulfill.

I do laugh when I see "mint" applied to a relic! Especially a heavy relic!

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Don't let fomo give you buyers remorse. Overpriced. Secondhand pickups $200 max.

Used CS guitars are not worth any more than any other guitar secondhand ~60% street price

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I'd walk away. Be patient, there is bound to be a better deal down the road.

51Blackguard likes this.
  11. 51Blackguard

51Blackguard Tele-Meister

Anything over $3k for a used Nocaster is insane. Yeah yeah I know, Reverb is flooded with $3500.00-$4000.00 Nocasters. And that's exactly where they will stay.
    Sit tight, a real nice one will appear in no time. You have to dig a little. As for Josephine pickups....ehhh. Of course this is my opinion and many will disagree, but given 5 guitars to play with one set of Abby's or Josephina's, chances are you wont hear a difference...but then, no two guitars will sound exactly the same anyway....ok fire away..!!! lol

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    jim777 and Electric Warrior like this.
  12. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Walk away

Texicaster likes this.
  13. Texicaster

I agree for the most part.....

I spent a bit of time searching the web for new and used and find LOTS of new ones for about the same price.

This seller is all caught up in the Josephina deal and seems like a flipper who saw the rush and perhaps waited too long. He's really stuck at $4000.......

As far as Josephina pups.....I've yet to play a Telecaster with bad tone. So it's just a matter of different. So to try to sell me that it's "better" is foolish. There's a lot of things I think are "better" that most will agree with... Plus I'm no expert so a due with a silver Sharpie can fake the signature... IF they were on the floor traveler as stock I'd have been more serious but lacking a definitive paper trail...hard pass at that price!

BUT when GAS strikes logic goes out the window! I don't mind paying a bit more when a cool guitar falls in my lap so to say. I don't count pennies and was willing to pay what I thought was a bit too much but it wasn't considered even ball park enough to plan a meet. There is some advantage to buying in person as opposed to Reverb say. No tax no fees and you get to try it out. It's almost like a brick and mortar up charge.

While I see a ton of them on Reverb and stores I find it rare to see one on local CL anymore. This is maybe the 2nd I can recall and I travel. For fun I always check CL and FB.

51Blackguard likes this.
  14. 51Blackguard

51Blackguard Tele-Meister

I hear ya about the GAS "problem". But from experience, owning (now) close to 60 Custom Shop/Historic Gibsons and Fenders over the years, its really a matter of taste. The reality is some guitars will play and sound better or really stand out. But what stands out to me, may not to you. How you play makes a huge difference as well.
    The only thing I'll say about buying from Reverb is, make sure the seller has a return policy. I've have bought and sold many guitars on Reverb. The key in both instances is to have a very detailed description when selling and to ask a million questions when buying. For me when buying, I have three basic questions: weight, neck profile/depth specs and any damage (even minor scratches). Everything else is usually opinion. So far, Ive never had to return a piece, or had one returned

jim777, Texicaster and VillainSean like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.