"Priced to sell"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Aug 3, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

As opposed to what?

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

LOL

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  3. rich815

rich815 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If said honestly to me it means priced below recent average selling price because seller wants to sell quickly but too often it’s just BS. And frankly if they say that but it’s not priced any better than latest average selling price it turns me off, I ignore the ad and go elsewhere even if I’m in the market for that item.

4. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Marketing jibberish. The big boys aren’t the only ones who spew drivel.

Fretting out and Marc Morfei like this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

There's a furniture store here that has been "going out of business" for several years now. They're still around. So they must be doing pretty good with all their "closeout" deals!

3-Chord-Genius, koopus and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

"Priced to sit," like most of the stuff I see on CL and Reverb. Although "priced to sell" is often nothing special either.

7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

As opposed to "Priced to haggle"?

schmee likes this.
  8. ArcticWhite

ArcticWhite Tele-Holic

I enjoy the listings which end with "Must sell right away!"
    And my inner voice always responds, "then why is your asking price so high?"

9. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ostensibly, meaning they care more about getting rid of the thing than about profiting off of it.

Realistically, they want to catch your attention and make you feel good about the price.

Possibly also code for "No offers/lowballers/etc."

10. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

another 'good' one = "plays like butter" ................ WTF does that even mean?

11. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Overpriced to not sell?

12. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My significant other says I have too much stuff, so in an attempt to appease him/her, I'm posting this.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

Okay, so answering the question seriously, sometimes one prices things to raise or maintain the value of similar objects, or because one has to put a price on it but one prefers to hold on to the item knowing the market will be more robust later. So why put items up for sale at all then? To have stock and attract customers who may not be ready to purchase but whom you want to see your goods anyway. Or to attract customers who may buy lower priced items but will remember you have "good stuff" at higher prices.

14. JJLC

JJLC Tele-Meister

The first guitar I ever sold was when I was 16 years old; that was 43 years ago. I didn't want to sell the guitar but the brother of a friend of mine kept bugging me to sell the guitar to him. After a year of on again/off again being bugged by the guy, I finally said, "OK, it's $300." He said OK. So, I paid $150 for the guitar & I doubled my money. :lol:
    By the time I was 20 I sold several guitars & two really nice amps; wish I had those now.
    Back in that time frame it was newspaper classified ads & pawn shops; NO eBay, NO Reverb, NO internet.

Over four decades of playing, buying, and selling, I have owned right at 400 guitars; still have just about 10% of that left in the herd. When I attempt to sell a guitar I put a price point on the guitar based on the attributes of the individual guitar. Most of the ones I have now are difficult to source because not many were made. I never get in any hurry to make a sale. Last guitar I offered it took over two years to sell & I got more $$$$ for it than I had offered it to others for at a cheaper price point. $$$$$$$$
    People say be patient when buying but the same goes for selling; it's a two way street. :D

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

As opposed to sitting on gear at inflated prices, so as to never sell.

Beyond the cliche, sometimes things are priced to sell--"Johnsons" that sell to others for half the going value, some in need of cash, some to pass on the good vibe. They are out there.

16. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

Here in my town there's an appliance store whose slogan is "When you buy from us, you get the whole store!" Maybe I'm missing something, but I never understood what the heck that's supposed to mean!

17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've used those words "priced to sell" when I actually have something priced that way. However, I find it's ineffective. Often, I'll end up selling it later at normal price after re pricing it. People buy when they are ready.

18. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

“But love, I am getting rid of some. I’ve put my 1978 Strat on eBay. It’s sure to get £3500 and any less is an insult. Now, I guess there’s no harm in buying another in the meantime...”

19. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

There's a 15 year old MIM Standard Strat near me with a cheap amp priced at $900. I asked about upgrades (knowing there were none) and the seller told me they paid $800 for the Strat at GC last year. Ahem.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.