Price of new guitars are actually less expensive than they were back in the day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by instroverbs, Sep 19, 2019.

1. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

The American Originals thing annoyed me. It was a very Gibson kind of move. For those of us who want a vintage spec guitar like we used to have in the American Vintage line we now have to look at Custom Shop guitars which are twice what my 52 reissue cost. I'm not saying the American Originals line is bad, I'm sure they're great guitars, but they shouldn't have replaced the American Vintage.

instroverbs likes this.
  2. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Very nice. (But Sweetwater shows that those are MSRP $1,999 new right now. Does that sound right?)

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Yep. The Tribute series has moved up since last year, with the Faded's and DC's now priced in the $x's. But here's an SG Standard Tribute for $x:

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-SGTR19-LIST

And here's a Faded LP for $x:

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPF18-LIST

There are others. There's an SG Special for $x I'm considering...I bought and sold one for more than that a few years back! I'm thinking of retrofitting with P90s. I need to stop thinking that way..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Were you prepared to personally buy enough of them to make the line sufficiently profitable?

Otherwise I’d say they made the right move.

5. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I thought they sold very well? I could never find any in stores to try out except for the 52 I got and they were always on backorder at Sweetwater.

Again, I'm not saying that the American Originals aren't great guitars and my post wasn't a slag on folks that love them. My point was just that keeping at least one or two vintage spec model in the sub $2k range would have been nice.

instroverbs likes this.
  6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

...and moving on now
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Reading through this thread has reminded me how fortunate I am. I have four electrics, an MIM, one MIJ, and two made is USA, all bought used but all for money on hand. Use of a credit card was for convenience only. I modded the Fenders but only to get rid of hum that was driving me mad. I bought my amp off the floor in a mom and pop for a pretty good price. What makes me feel fortunate, is that I didn't have to save to buy my guitars. I just bought them. I drive cars I could never have imagined driving ever, no less every day. My wife and I fly where we want and vacation where we want. Again, unimaginable back then. I'm not a 1%er. I'm not a general manager, but I managed to do OK in my chosen profession. I think most of the folks posting here are doing OK. Probably better than they thought they'd be doing back then, whenever back then was. The price of guitars isn't a problem, not even a first world problem. I have strong populist sentiments but no enthusiasm for the direction populism has taken. I'm just thankful everyday that things turned out OK and that the price of guitars is the least of my worries.

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

For those that are complaining about the AO line, Fender still had the MIM Classic line, and now the Vintera line with models with 7.25" radius necks, and they are well under $2k.

TeleTex82 likes this.
  9. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

Gibson Les Paul Standard guitars are set neck , carved body guitars that are higher end than Fender though. Can't compare the two.

10. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

Very different construction though. Set neck, carved top is way more labour intensive as well as binding and nitro finish. Can't compare the two at all.

11. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

Les Paul's are made of two different woods, glued together, have a set neck and a carved top as well as binding. A Standard Tele does not. Please compare apples to apples.
    FYI, an R6 is a custom shop guitar.

12. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

When you come to argue a fact please make sure you have facts to argue with. Thanks.

13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

Obviously this discussion just wouldn’t be the same without your infinite wisdom. Thanks for coming out :rolleyes:

14. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

See the YouTube video of the 2019 Gibson factory tour. The carved top is CNC now, the set neck is done in minutes, as is the nitro spraying, so the only thing that's really much more labor intensive is the binding.

Toast and awasson like this.
  15. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

You're the one with the infinite wisdom, it's just too bad that it is wrong wisdom.

16. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

So, the nitro, the carved top and the set neck are free procedures? I had no idea. Why don't all manufacturers do this then?

17. awasson

If you had something to say that wasn’t pretentious, I’d be more apt to pay attention to you but you posted 4 posts that didn’t add to the conversation and only came from a place of assumed superiority.

When I make a mistake, I admit it as is shown by my response. I don’t need you telling me to get my “facts” straight when I’m contributing to a friendly discussion on a guitar website.

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Nice guitars have always been expensive. Not everyone played Gibsons and Fenders from the start back in the day, for this very reason. They were usually something that players worked up to, once they had become pros, or along the way, and/or bought used, etc.

This is related to why Fender swooped in and took a big chunk out of Gibson's business back in the '50s and '60s. They were making their guitars much more cheaply than Gibson was, and usually of fairly decent build quality, but selling them for not a whole ton less than Gibson was.

The real change from then to now is that fairly nice guitars in the lower to middle ranges have become better in quality. This is great, but it causes us to take decent quality for granted, and view it as "overpriced."

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  19. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

Go back and read your first post and the first post that you replied to of mine.
    In your first post you expecting this thread to be like this and were getting popcorn, so I assume you knew you'd argue about it. Your response to my post had incorrect info and you sarcastically posted it anyways in a matter of fact way. I point out that we need to compare guitars that are similar and you crap on me and I'm not sure why.
    You can't compare a Les Paul Standard to a Standard Strat as they are very different from a construction stand point and, yes, they are cheaper than they used to be with inflation included.
    Just clarifying things here.
    Have a nice day.

20. awasson

In my reply to the OP of course I was going to get popcorn. That's called light hearted banter. I expected this to be an active discussion with varying opinions. Does it have any relevance to your messages to me or mine to you? I don't see how it could. It was several posts before you joined in.

So you said, Gibson guitars aren’t any more expensive than Fender guitars.

There is no sarcasm in my reply to you. Gibson guitars are more expensive than Fenders and I honestly but mistakenly thought that the VOS Reissue was the production model. And don't get me wrong. I like Gibson Les Paul's, especially Goldtop Les Paul's with P90's. When I looked up Goldtop Les Paul P90's on Long & McQuade for some reason I could only come up with the VOS Reissue 56 Les Paul. I couldn't find the model that @MilwMark pointed me to so being that I wanted a Goldtop Les Paul with P90's, that was my example.

As soon @MilwMark pointed me in the right direction and I realized I was looking at the wrong item I posted that I was incorrect and that the model that I should have been looking at was about what I would have expected it to be, given inflation and costs of business.

The issue I have with your reply is the self righteous flavour of it, scolding me like a self appointed hall monitor. It's just unnecessary and condescending. Can you not see that? I don't treat people on this site that way and I don't expect it from anyone else either.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say on the subject as I don't want to derail the conversation any further.

You have a nice day too and I'm not being glib. I mean that entirely without sarcasm.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.