Price of new guitars are actually less expensive than they were back in the day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by instroverbs, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

If you factor in the "economy of scale" and streamlined production, they are still asking a lot of money for what they are selling.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

price2.jpg

Yea, it is relative.

3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Gibson doesn't really price their guitars that high ... only their limited edition stuff. Sure if you want one of their "historically correct" blah blah blah stuff then it's mindblowingly expensive, but they only make a few of those.

Something like the Gibson SG standard is amazing bang for the buck ... especially if you can wait the 10 months from introduction at NAMM to the blowout sales end of the year

So tell us. What could you buy in guitar center 10-15 years ago that you can't know. All I know is that in my youth 20-25 years ago I could buy fender/gibson priced more or less like now ... or absolute crap not worth having. There was no midrange stuff.

instroverbs likes this.
  4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

So 2.336$ for a Les Paul Standard in 2019 money :)

5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Economy is one thing. When people are complaining they do so from their subjective point of view. From the point of view of a kid or someone new to guitars, you can get the same guitar for 150$ if it is a Squier, or 1500$ if it is a Fender... 150$ is already a lot of money for many people (not only kids). So yes 2000$ may seem crazy to some. It is not a question of economical knowledge, it is a question of perspective.

Now, go shopping for a concert harp (pedal harp), the entry level instrument is around 15 000 $, then you’ll start thinking that Custom Shop guitars are cheapos.

6. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

Truer words have never been spoken' ...especially from the school of hard knocks ( Greece )
    Is everyone else there getting it yet ?

Nick Fanis likes this.
  7. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

Dont compare list price to the actual paying price.

I paid $186 for a 1972 telecaster in white blond brand new. List price was $310. You could walk into any Sam Ash back then we're just about any music store, and the start of negotiations was 40% off list price.
    I got my telly at Milton Arfin music, on Church Street in Brooklyn, right across the street from the Pink Pussycat Club. It was November 1972.

8. GreatGaudy

GreatGaudy Tele-Meister

I have still yet to buy a 'brand new' 'brand name' guitar ..and I'm almost 60.

9. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I don't believe in "Overpriced" per se as I think if everything is set up well competition should really help with that and at the end of the day people will pay what they fit on their own terms.

But, if you compare the overhead in the 50's era electric guitars with today, specifically sticking to the actual production end, the guitars should be significantly cheaper to produce. At least with, say, Gibson, the difference is huge.

Bones likes this.
  10. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

If people understood economics, it would stop working.

11. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

I'm definitely stealing that one.

12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

If you're into science fiction, read The LaNague Chronicles. It's one of the plot points.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Of course not.
    Only yesterday members of the opposition proposed a rise in wages in order to "boost the economy".

So basically they want a factory that doesn't produce sausage from pigs but pigs from sausage :)

Like I said people are hopeless:D

14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I see it this way. There are good to very good instruments in every price range. There are high end instruments that appeal to a select (or self selected) few. The quality of low and medium price guitars is way better than back in the day. We expect up market guitars to be better but in most cases the differences are subtle. But remember that even at $2500 they are production guitars. Back in the day nothing in that market segment left the factory less than perfect. We can buy that attention to detail now from custom shops or PRS main line guitars, but at a price. And that price is relatively higher than in 1965. It’s higher because highly skilled labor is harder to come by and it costs more now. I respect the folks here at TDPRI who make custom shop quality guitars in home workshops. If they put a real value on their labor, they’d be producing $3500 guitars.

magic smoke and matrix like this.
  15. juxtapolice

juxtapolice Tele-Holic

I may be wrong but aren't the recent (i.e 2019 standards) price drop reflective of their research into inflation? The 2019 models are 2500, that's not terrible imo which is not to say it isn't expensive

16. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

There's really no such thing as "overpriced". There are just things that are more expensive than you can, or will, pay.

17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I can't seem to find this anywhere with Google, who is the author? Is the name spelled wrong or something?

I think people complain about prices more cause:
    - Back in the 50s/60s everything they bought was made in the USA by people who lived a similar standard of living to the consumer. You were used to everything being more expensive, and higher quality
    - Today people are used to buying stuff made by people who make 1/10th or less what they do. Everything has become so incredibly cheap that people expect it
    - Not much financial literacy (look at the stats about how few Americans have any savings or who couldn't deal with a surprise $500 bill)
    - The level of inequality in the US was way lower back then. Rich people made a lot less money than they do now and average people made more. So it was easier for average people to afford some of this stuff.

MIA guitars seem to be VERY high quality items in the grand scheme of consumer products these days. The average quality of products is just terrible these days and people are so used to it they don't even appreciate really high quality stuff the same way anymore.

But the whole thing about people being accustomed to everything being made in China for pennies is something we all take for Granted WAY too much. If stuff didn't work that way 2019 in the US would be incredibly different. You would not see nearly as many average people walking around with fancy smartphones.. who knows an iPhone might be $3000 if it was 100% made in the US. You wouldn't see every kid walking off to school with an iPad or a laptop computer.

Even in the 90s stuff was already transitioning to made in Asia but not yet 100% and when I went to college my laptop computer was almost $4000. People are used to being able to find one under $500 now.

Not trying to be negative about made in Asia stuff either. There are a lot of stupendously high quality products manufactured in Asia. All the Apple products are made over there. I love bicycling.. it's pretty much indisputable to me that the Taiwanese are the best people in the world at making bicycles despite the marketing coming out of Europe.

P Thought and magic smoke like this.
  18. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Exactly. People actually saved up for major purchases 50yrs ago until they could afford them.

How many times have you seen an interview with a famous musician talking about how they saved & saved for that certain guitar, or about how they couldn't afford a certain guitar (Brian May???).

That's almost unheard of these days. Credit cards, PayPal loans, 24mo financing, etc. People find a way to get the stuff they want RIGHT NOW, regardless of whether they can afford it.

Very

JL_LI and howardlo like this.
  19. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it's interesting -- I don't think either the high-end Gibsons or the fancy Fenders are overpriced, compared to yesteryear and especially compared to mandolins. Seems like they've always been kind of spendy, but for those of us who play out & get paid, it's possible to amortize them pretty quickly. They don't get used up; in fact, the best of the best will gain value over time. My 1937 Duolian has outlasted any number of iPhones and laptops. I don't make money with the Duolian but I haven't lost a penny on it in 10-15 years of owning it. My $425 AC-15 was paid for within a couple of weeks of buying it.

The biggest shift in the market in the last 25-30 years has been the improvement in low-price guitars. I like my fancy stuff but if I had to, I could find a $150 guitar, pull it off the shelf and gig with it. This was impossible a couple of decades ago.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Something that people who KNOW things don't take into account concerning price. Now days, EVERYONE has a credit card. In 1965 when I bought my first decent guitar NO ONE had a credit card, and credit wasn't easy to come by. If you were under twenty five and wanted a nice guitar you'd probably best have the cash in hand. In 1965 I bought a 1963 Falcon pickup that had been a house car for the local Ford Dealer. It was really low miles, and came with some warranty. I paid 900 dollars for it.

When I decided I wanted a guitar, my credit was exhausted from buying the pickup so I had to round up hard earned bucks to buy it. In those days when you borrowed money banks actually expected you to pay back your loan, and give them interest. I know this is a novel idea that most of today's young people would not be able to understand unless of course they had a four year degree in making pottery.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.