Price of new guitars are actually less expensive than they were back in the day

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by instroverbs, Sep 19, 2019.

1. instroverbs

instroverbs TDPRI Member

I don’t understand why people are always complaining about the price of new guitars. They say that they are overpriced and they wouldn’t buy a new Strat or telecaster because they are overpriced and they think custom shop is way overpriced. But if you do simple calculations with inflation you see that from the very beginning from the first telecaster on that in today’s money the average Fender guitar listed in the two thousand dollars range. For example a Strat in 1965 cost $289.50 whereas in today’s money that is $2331.50 The same goes for amps people say $2000 is too much to pay for an amp but you would’ve paid about the same amount in 1950s or 60s dollars as you would today. If anything guitars have gotten cheaper (less expensive)as well as amps

KT89, matrix, Fretting out and 7 others like this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome Sir,,, you don't work for Fender by chance:);)

3. instroverbs

instroverbs TDPRI Member

Not at all

4. instroverbs

instroverbs TDPRI Member

I have just been reading a lot of books lately on Fender especially the stratocaster chronicles and looking at the prices it made me realize that people are way off in saying that guitars today are overpriceD. If they are saying they’re overpriced compared to the past they are wrong; they are comparable if not less expensive. If they are saying they are overpriced because they can’t afford it, that’s an entirely different situation.

5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

I’m just going to run to the kitchen to grab some popcorn. This ought to be a fairly interesting exchange.

As far as I’m concerned, yes most guitars seem to be less costly than they were back in the day once you do the conversion, especially with all of the entry level lines. I’d say the quality of today’s instruments is much better too.

I don’t see the reason why a production line 1956 Les Paul Goldtop VOS Reissue is $5,600 though. That seems excessive for a tried and true formula. I’d expect to see those listed at half that price.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. instroverbs

instroverbs TDPRI Member

I agree with you that that is overpriced.

scelestus and awasson like this.
  7. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I dont really get how Gibson can price their guitars for so much! but its still so expensive used! but people buy them at that price, so theres that, while its overpriced for me because I cannot afford it! LOL

awasson likes this.
  8. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

I’ve thought this all along. Some people have problems converting with inflation or just accepting the fact that it isn’t 1959 anymore.

9. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

They aren’t any more expensive than Fender guitars. Compare apples to apples.

10. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I can afford a Fender US guitar.. up to American Originals.. I cant afford anything higher than that..

If Im buying a Les Paul Standard 50's, Im already priced out... that is if we're talking new guitars.. and I'm in Australia, so theres that as well..

but okay,

1950's Fender price vs 2019 Fender price including inflation, then I guess the op has a point

instroverbs and awasson like this.
  11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Generally speaking the vast majority of people are economically illiterate.
    That's why populism is so strong all over the world.
    People just want to avoid facts,figures and reality.

EsquireOK, colnago, matrix and 10 others like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I have thought this all along too, but then again, I thought they were too expensive back in the day as well. I think the difference now is that the less expensive guitars are built way better than the less expensive guitars of lore.

I can sort of understand the cost of a new Gibby acoustic or semi-acoustic, but a new solidbody electric for those prices seems absurd.

13. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

Some people buy things just because they're expensive. Must be for bragging rights.

(says me who is gassing for a custom shop tele or strat - but at least I'll play it every day)

awasson and dreamingtele like this.
  14. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire

As I posted earlier, the price for a 1956 Les Paul Goldtop VOS Reissue is $5,600 CAD at Long & McQuade ($4,700 US at Sweetwater). That’s a production line guitar. It’s a nice production line guitar but it’s not a custom shop build. For that kind of money, if I were going to spend it with Fender, I’d be looking at a Fender Custom Shop guitar or a really good Artist Series and an amp to go with it. I’m not sure how any more apples to apples you can get.

codamedia, LGOberean and instroverbs like this.
  15. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

A quick google shows:

American professional tele $1450

Les Paul Standard $2399

instroverbs likes this.
  16. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

I can’t buy a guitar in 1950.
    $2000 is still way too expensive for a slab of wood and a couple of knobs

tele12 likes this.
  17. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I’m not hearing people complain that guitars are more expensive than they were back in the day, whenever that was.
    Most of what I hear is just the opposite, unless you’re talking about Gibson specifically.
    An Epiphone Les Paul is cheaper than a Gibson Les Paul was circa 1960’s.
    Most think that you can get more guitar for your money now than ever before.
    Now Gibson, who’s pricing is all over the place just keeps raising prices without any corresponding rise in quality or features.
    Fender USA, Fender Mexico, Fender Asia, all make the same models, Tele’s and Strat’s. I’m not sure I understand their strategy or pricing.

18. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

People buy differently now, when the iconic guitars were new, most families had( if they were fortunate) one car, one phone, one TV,( with free OTA programming) used much less electricity( little or no AC, fewer lights etc.) and most players had one maybe two guitars .

Most “ name” electric guitars were bought by working adult players..If you were solid on three or four chords you could find a regular PAYING gig in even small towns.

Now money goes for other things, and comes from other sources; the average ‘round the house player has or desires multiple guitars and amps.. the perception is things are more expensive
    ( and many things are) but guitars are for the most part no more or even less expensive.

Remember BITD list or list+ 10% ( for set up etc.) was common, there was certainly no heavy discounting, open box ,scratch & dent and there were no playable budget versions of “professional” guitars, there were also no ( or few) credit cards.. a name guitar was a major purchase often requiring a bank loan that people planned for; often for years. Very few people could walk in to a music store, and walk out w/ a name brand guitar 15 min later as is often done now.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  19. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Well if you go back to the 50s or 60s, yes most guitars would he more expensive.
    If you go back 10 years you will see Fender guitars have far outpaced inflation and they are much more expensive.

20. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

No people aren't economically illiterate,
    I know what I could walk into Guitar Center 10-15 years ago and buy and what I can buy now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.