1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Price check Baja tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Slogger, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Slogger

Slogger TDPRI Member

What are 60s Baja teles going for these days? They seem to be scarce online in the used market. Thanks!

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The used market has gone completely insane in the past 8 months, so there's no real answer. Before The Thing We're Not Supposed To Talk About On TDPRI, I saw them going for between $450-$550 in my local area. Now, the sky's the limit.

3. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Saw one on craigslist and facebook recently, description and photos appeared to be nice shape, asking $550 with a Fender gig bag. Ad didn't stay up long.

4. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

The market has gone insane.

Since 'it', the price has been all over the place. In the UK a good price for one of these is in the £550 realm, but these guitars seldom appear online these days at a decent price.

The Vintera had a big impact on the price as it was more expensive, so now people are pricing them at the level of a Vintera despite the Vintera having different specs.

In Jan I saw them as low £400 but now you'd be hardpressed to find that.

5. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I'm priceless.

Badger.JPG

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

2ad63f0f2333d5bc0e423689f90ef38d.jpg

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A couple years ago market price for a used Baja seemed to be about $600. But it's supply and demand, and like you say nobody seems to be selling them right now, so price will be higher. It's funny how certain items get a buzz and become the "it" thing to have. A year or two ago everyone wanted a Princeton Reverb. A had to wait forever before a used one popped up locally for a fair price. Now I am trying to sell one, and not a single bite. There are three for sale here locally right now. I guess everyone is saving up for a Baja Tele.

NicDo and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

There is another variable that probably needs to be figured into the mix when talking '60s Bajas: Fretboard material...rosewood vs. pau ferro.

I haven't really studied the numbers, but I imagine the rosewood examples are going for more than the later pau ferro ones.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You can easily build the key features.

4-way switch and the chunky neck are the two main ingredients players love the Baja.

A 4-way switch runs under $12 with some shopping and you can add that to any regular SS Tele. It's my favorite mod.

Chunky necks can be found .. look for maple fretboards and 50s-style in the comments and it's easier to zero in on them.

The 60s Bajas had skinnier necks and ... what's the point? Need a beefy neck.

hemingway likes this.
  10. Willy-son

Willy-son Tele-Meister

This is very true. Rosewood board classic series Teles are now going for as much or more than Vintera series Teles with pau ferro boards. And they go fast.

11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Anyone know the nut size? I see 1.625" and 1.65" both listed.

12. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm holding onto my 50s Baja to fund retirement. :p

hemingway likes this.
  13. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

Saw one yesterday for $700.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It for sure isn't 1.625 inches. If you really want (you don't) 1.625 or thereabouts, you gotta buy a Vintage USA Fender, a Made in or Crafted in Japan Fender, or a G + L guitar. Happily, when FMIC says "1+5/8ths" about their North American products, they mean nominal. Put a measuring tool to the nut, and you'll get 1.65", sometimes a tiny bit less but more often a bit more.

I wish FMIC would just change their "wider" metric (like the American Professional, etc.) from 1 + 11/16ths to 1 + 21/32nds or 1 + 3/4th. Offer people two genuinely different widths, because the current differential is darned small.

15. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Just saw a 60s Baja on Reverb for $600 -- better act fast!

The price increase for Baja's is somewhat understandable given the Vintera price bump. The part that's a bit puzzling is that what made Bajas so desirable in the first place was the great bang-for-buck value they represented. Before being discontinued you could readily find a used BSB Baja for $550-$650 which really was a no-brainer. The new Vinteras which can run as high as $1,050 aren't unfairly priced for what you get, but it's also hardly a no-brainer value. I'm almost tempted to sell my Baja to make a profit, except I'd just have to turnaround and spend it all again to get the same replacement!

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. E5RSY

My 2015 Baja '60s looks to be a solid 1.65".

posttoastie and boris bubbanov like this.
  17. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Not sure I agree. As an ex-owner (and it’s the only piece of kit I sold that I really miss from time to time) the strength of the 60s was the amazing set of pickups. The neck was your run-of-the-mill “round 60s C”… I liked that alright. The 4-way and S1 I pulled! Couldn’t be bothered. But the pickup combo, PV 52 in the neck and PV 58, was magical. One of the best out there bar none. And if I understand things right, the new Vintera mod 60s does not have those pickups… one more reason why Baja 60s owners may feel justified to ask a little more.

18. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

60’s Baja neck is definitely fatter than classic 60’s. I’ve owned both.

Used prices are strange right now. Seen a couple recently that sold for new price.

19. E5RSY

Yep. Had a set-up done on mine recently. My tech, who builds some pretty great guitars that sell for a pretty penny, was floored by them. He wasn't familiar with the model and was all "What the heck pickups are in this thing? They're amazing."

myteleplaysjazz and RadioFM74 like this.
  20. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth Tele-Meister

The 60s version hasn't been around as long as the original Baja. They introduced them in 2014 I believe and there were only 2 years of with rosewood fretboards before they went Pau Ferro.

There wasn't that many years of production for the 60s before they went to Vintera. The 60s have the great pickup combination. The Vintera version doesn't have these. That's not to say they are worse or better as I haven't played the Vintera version and it is all subjective anyways.

The fact is though, the Baja 60s was a great value and there is a lot of demand in the used market for them now and the prices reflect that. They were a great buy new and used. Now that the market for them has changed, they are probably selling close to what they were new.

I am glad I got my rosewood version in 2019 before the market adjusted to the demand. It is a 2016, mint condition, for barely over $500. I could probably sell it for a lot more than that now. I will never sell it.

The market value for these could drop if the demand lessens or the value could go up more. Demand is a fickle beast.

Another example is the Nashville. In 2019 you could buy these less than $500 all day. Ones in great condition now are being listed for double that and more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.