Pribora Pickups from Russia

eddiewagner

Poster Extraordinaire
Hi friends,
I found a used robert cray strat with Russian pribora pups. What do you think? I would love to have a hardtail strat. But I have no idea about the Russians…

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
5zvh2e.jpg

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
If it’s a good deal, go for it.

I’d pass if it’s just an okay deal...you might have a hard time selling those pickups to help fund something you like better (maybe there’s a market for them? I don’t know).

But if you do like them, then you can tell everyone about your super rare, super cool Russian pickups.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hi friends,
I found a used robert cray strat with Russian pribora pups. What do you think? I would love to have a hardtail strat. But I have no idea about the Russians…
I'd buy the guitar, and then if you don't like the pickups, call Ryan at Bootstrap Pickups and order a set of his. You can buy one of several Strat sets for around $50....amazing value. ;)

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Never heard of this pickups. You have next options (there may be even more):
- if the pickups sound good and you like em, you can keep em
- if you want to buy the guitar, but want to change pickups, try to find out if there is a market for them - if there is no market for them, offer a lower price for guitar based on that.
- ask the seller if he wants to keep the pickups and offer to pay for guitar without them.

UjwalB

TDPRI Member
I watched some Alexander Pribora pickup demos and seeing that the man can wind pickups with his bare hands , I have no doubt he knows what he's doing and has the necessary skills and the patience to be a good pickup maker.
His pickups are also very well priced and seem to have all the right ingredients.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
I just installed a set on one of my Strats. They weren't the entry level ones, but the more expensive version. They're a lot like CS69s but with a hotter bridge and RWRP in the middle. Very well made, but I'd like an option for a latter stagger, like Boostraps. The louder G is sill a bit of a nuisance. https://www.priborapickups.com/product/1967_fender_stratocaster_pickups_replacement/

Bootstrap stuff is exceptionally well made and very good value. I really like the A2 set with the A5 bridge, plus you get the option for the flatter stagger. The hotter bridge takes away the ice-pick, and means you can drop it lower to reduce pull.
https://bootstrappickups.com/collections/s-style/products/bootstrap-golden-ale™

I'd thought the Robert Cray model was supposed to be all about the signature pickups!

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Never heard a negative thing about them, besides the long shipping times, which comes with the territory.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Leo's
Hi friends,

I love hardtails! More middy and aggressive than a regular strat, without the sound of the onboard reverb tank! And it won't go all out of shape if you break a string.

Lonn

Friend of Leo's
I've had a number of Pribora Strat sets and all were very good. Good prices and always got them within 2 weeks as well.

HenkR

TDPRI Member
With the current situation, I suppose there won’t be any Pribora’s coming out of Moscow any time soon… Looks like his eBay store is down. I have a couple of sets of him and like them very much. Was just about to order a new Tele set.