Pretty wierd incident tonight

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Sep 4, 2019.

1. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

I was trying out reloads on one of my rifles today at a shooting range on an indian reservation in Nebraska. Just before dark I took my binocs and did some scouting of a big field near the range. Right as I was getting ready to finish I heard a voice behind me. It was a female trying to get my attention from the road.
    I went back to the road and it was a girl probably in her twenties but she was in pretty bad shape. Underneath her eyes there were black circles and she started weeping. She said she needed a ride into the nearby town so I said I'd take her. I think she was a drug addict because I couldn't understand what she was talking about. I heard that there is a bad meth problem on the reservation. She said she was trying to get away from someone but I couldn't understand what she was saying. She said she wanted to go to a safehouse for abused spouses so I dropped her off there.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

You helped her... you did good.

Hopefully she will find some help.

A lot would have ignored her or saw her as a threat these days.

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

good on ya. hope it works

Wildcard_35, catdaddy and dlew919 like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Good job, she might have been hard to understand due to mental distress.
    When people loose it due to stress or trauma they can often ramble and be hard to understand.

radiocaster, dlew919 and aging_rocker like this.
  5. chet again

chet again Tele-Holic

You may not know it but I am a tribal member of that reservation although I've never lived on it. My dad got a job in the city and raised us there. It was cheaper to buy a house in a rural area so that's what I did after I retired from a job as a military contractor. I like to use the range because it's free for me and not many others use it.

I could tell that this girl was a strung out junkie. I also think no one can help her but herself.

A few months ago there were police cars racing towards the river that's near the range I use. I followed them over and there was a police helicopter landing near the river. A girl had parked her car near the river and just walked out and drowned herself. I never heard anything more about it.

Sad.

One thing you should know is that native women are among the most abused I know of. The mentality of some of the guys (scumbags, really) is to get them pregnant without taking any responsibility. I think they get them drunk or slip pills into their drinks them take advantage of them. They're also the victims of beatings etc. Don't ask me why I know.

That's the reality of it.

schmee likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

God bless you for helping her. I hope she stays at the safehouse and doesn't go back to the scumbag abusing her. Too many women forgive and believe the "Baby, I'm sorry, I'll never do it again", and it happens over and over.

7. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

While it pays to be wary and vigilant in situations like this, you did the right thing. No telling what would've happened had you not given her that ride. You deserve a pat on the back.

8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Out at a golf course north of town, there is a prison right next door to it. One day, unknown to me, they had put a policy change in effect that just kicked the people who had been retained in the prison out on the street when they were released. Problem is, it's twenty miles back to town. As I was leaving the golf course, I saw a nicely dressed woman walking down the road. I'm talking about a woman looking like she should be showing a house for a real estate company.

So, I pulled over and asked if her car was broke down? She said no, but I could use a lift. I said get in and asked where she needed to go. As it would happen, it would only put me off my route home a mile or two to drop her off where she wanted to go. As we talked she revealed that she had just gotten out of prison, and blah, blah, blah. I thought what the hell have I gotten myself into here? As it turned out, nothing at all, I took her to the address she wanted to be dropped off, and that was it. She thanked me and went on her way. I have NEVER stopped to help anyone near the golf course again.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wind River

swollen303, ukepicker and Obsessed like this.
  10. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

You did a good thing. May you be similarly blessed!

11. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

And subject to tribal law enforcement and judicial jurisdiction as well, it sounds like.

Do you have hunting and fishing rights on the Res?

Can you carry a sidearm with you on the reservation?

That domestic dispute business with drugs and alcohol mixed is dangerous. I try to stay as far away from it as I can.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Good on you. My S-I-L teaches middle school on a local reservation. A lot of the children and their parents have had and are having a tough go at life.

13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you for sharing. You might appreciate the story of a woman who moved on from one of the stores in the enterprise where I work. She and her husband left a reservation hoping their girls would have a better path and all of them outside the risks you mention for women. Those girls were good students got into a top university and then great jobs. One works for the CIA and one in a social services capacity now for their tribe. Their mom went back to school and got the accounting degree she always wanted. It really touched me to see what those parents did, what those girls did and what I consider give back or patriotic career choices. So cool that their mom got them through college as a cashier and then became a CPA at a later age. Just so totally amazing because the family achieved what they hoped to do.

14. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

great on you for getting her out excellent for her she got out safely! drugs and alcohol in that environment will be a volitile mix

stxrus likes this.
  15. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Thank you for treating her compassionately and getting her to safety.

ukepicker likes this.
  16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Good job. Get involved, don't steer clear of trouble. Maybe it makes no difference in her life (as drugs are a pretty potent enemy) but maybe it made all the difference in the world for her. Here's hoping you saved a life.

tonytrout and Fretting out like this.
  17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

As soon as I read the first post I was wondering how the hell you got onto a reservation range. I was about to scold you for doing something that would get you in a whole heap of trouble, but then read your update. I am glad it worked out and you were able to help, just be aware that it is often called "bait" and as soon as you open your door a "friend" shows up and takes your car at gunpoint. I've seen a rash of those cases back in the '90's and one of the reasons people are so hesitant to help somebody in such a situation today.

Hopefully it becomes a pivotal moment for that woman to make some decisions.

18. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I commend you. You never know, she could have been a victim of trafficking or being held against her will. Drugs are often used to make victims compliant and once they are dependent on them to keep them around. You may have saved her from a real bad situation.

Telekarster likes this.
  19. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you're where you should be maybe.

20. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I think the op did a good job and the right thing and the distress signs seemed legitimate sometimes they’re just strung out or crazy so you have to be careful I didn’t get car jacked but your “bait” scenario reminds me of a time I was driving down the highway and a young woman darts out in front of my car flailing her arms saying she was attacked my passenger and I thought she was in trouble so we let her in then she asks if I can take her 5 miles in the opposite direction to town and thinking she needed help I oblige and on the drive it turned out she annoyed someone at a party and was thrown out and starting asking us if we do such and such drug and if we want to party so I dropped her off and got out of there
    Wouldn’t stop me from helping someone in actual trouble you just have to read the situation and be careful
    Op did what a lot op people these days wouldn’t

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.