Pretty in Pink

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Telegazer, May 6, 2008.

1. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Greetings to all on the TDPRI, former member Cindi 500 and husband Andi together and back on the boards. It's been a very long time we've been lurking(has it been two or three years now?) and finally decided to join the fun again. The Cindicaster some of you might remember is now just a body, it's neck going to the custom double bound shell pinky that has been showing up from time to time on other boards.

Not sure if there is an image size limit thingy, we'd gladly appreciate a stern warning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were also delighted to bump into forumite kp8 last summer on the streets of downtown Seoul, and thought about when we should join the fun again...so here we (collectively) are. I (Andi) am a Jazzmaster/Jaguar player, but we do indeed have a collective love of the Teles...Despite a handful of CIJ Fender non-Teles!

The two of us have been residing in the Bundang district of Seoul satellite city of Sungnam, Andi working as an employee of Moollon pedals/guitars while we work on pop-related and commercial tunes over here, thinking about kids, making new tunes, and loving life.

All in all, we've been immensely grateful for all the info here even when unseen and unspoken, and hope to be around here more often.

Blessings and much peace from us two in Korea.

[​IMG]

2. Southern Ill

Southern Ill Banned

I LIKE IT!! Great combo of parts(or lack of > pickguard screws)-colors-pickups....I like guitars that have their own thing goin' on....and this piece sure does.

3. BLACKCAT69

BLACKCAT69 Friend of Leo's

Welcome back to the board. I recall you had some other beautiful and unique Telecasters. Pinky is a beaut too. I have never seen a bound body in pink. I'd love to hear the Gretsch neck PU in action.

Cheers!

4. thaus

thaus Tele-Holic

That is one nice looking telecaster!! Pink is where it's at.........

5. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

We've since had the neck pickup route dug a tad deeper, dropped in 500k pots, and are waiting for Mr. Ji at Moollon to grind up three miniature brass saddles to fit the Jaguar bridge. The TV Jones classic truly is an amazing little guy in a solid body, a very woody, almost airy/hollow sounding pickup with a delightful chime...Sound-bytes will have to follow eventually.

Remember these guys? Sad to see them not in commission, sacrificing parts for a better(?) good...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nasonm

nasonm Friend of Leo's

Welcome back! THat Pink tele is a beauty! It has everything I love in teles:
    1) A great color
    2) A Filtertron
    3) A Bigsby
    4) It's double bound!

Yippppeee!:D

7. blacklove

blacklove Tele-Meister

Nice pink Tele. Like the other ones too! Glad to hear of a Jazzmaster player back in the fold. Welcome back.

8. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Many thanks! We embrace the offsets like an well-funded orphanage.

70s Strat, Jaguar, Jaguar Bass, Jazzmaster... all Fender Japan delights!

[​IMG]

9. blacklove

blacklove Tele-Meister

Nice!

10. Bob Marlec

Bob Marlec Tele-Meister

I'm very glad to see you again, I never missed your posts when you were on the board, your comments had always a nice touch of their own.

As you work at Moolon guitar factory, perhaps you could give us some information about etching and engraving guitars like this beautiful one:

[​IMG]

Greetings from Lorient (Brittany), so far from Seoul.

11. holndav

holndav Friend of Leo's

I remembers you guys.

Welcome back!

David

12. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Hello and greetings! Nicolas from Filling Distribution in Paris is certainly one of our most sincere customers, though quite a way from Brittany as well!

There are only 5 of us here on staff in the workshop who take care of everything so it's hardly a factory...'though we've got big dreams, I guess. ;) This is how these things are made...Just as a cautious disclaimer, I will never spam the boards, but will answer questions in detail, if I may: [/treads lightly]

A lot of people have asked us if Moollon pedals are laser-engraved, but as in the hand-wired aspect of the pedals, there is a lot of hand work involved with the exteriors because they are all acid-etched. Moollon's luthier and pedal casing designer Mr. Ji was a sculpting major at Hongik University nearly 20 years ago who was (along with his classmate, Moollon's prez Mr. Park) quite fascinated with trying his hand on acid etching when it came to traditional Korean designs originally found on paintings, pottery, roofing tiles, and latticework...Which became a shared vision when originally launching the company about 7 years ago. Here's how it works, simple but a little time consuming:

About half of the Moollon Shop:

[​IMG]

1. Mr. Ji illustrates the graphic templates, and prints them for use as silk screens for the acid work.

[​IMG]
    Mr. Ji designs the butterfly face of the Moollon Delay

2. Graphics are are acid washed from the silkscreen to the surface(pedal/guitar face).

3. Upon return from the acid bath, the buffing and detailing is done by hand, which reveals the essential visual difference etching has with laser engraving: Each pedal returns with sharp edges that must be completely buffed off to give the soft look of traditional etchwork, which is done completely by hand and takes upwards of 2 hours per pedal to finish. During this time paint is applied in the grooves, and the casing approaches completion. When not building guitars, Mr. Ji is buffing away like a college student.

He also mentioned that laser engraving was a choice they had earlier on. However, being aware that lasers can give the images with perfect accuracy, they were also fully aware that you wouldn't be able to get the soft look of a traditionally hand-buffed piece of metal, which is a part of every Moollon pedal. Even if hand-buffed later, lasers would still give a uniform depth on each metal surface if done under the same specs, but up close you would notice that no Moollon pedal has the same exact "look", despite the same design. The acid will occasionally burn deeper into some pedals more than others, and we do have a lot of cases that come out flawed beyond the silk-screen perimeter or are "victims" of the buffing process, which must be discarded.

Final assembly and setup:

[​IMG]

Hope that helps!

13. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome back. Just wondering ................ what holds the pickguard on the shell pink........... double stick tape?

14. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Because the body came with cream binding, we decided to do a scratch guard in a similar color by getting a transparent one cut and painting the back with "Ivory #0001" from a local hardware store. The guy who did the guard had it cut so precisely that it stuck just right, ever-so-slightly lodged between the neck and filtertron. Pop on, pop off. ;)

Things were just peachy as above until we decided to route the pocket a little deeper, as the 'tron was noticeably thumpy and boomier in overall volume in comparison to the bridge Nocaster pickup, and the Nocaster soon found itself nearly kissing the strings. Route successful, the Nocaster found itself much lower and both pickups are in a "sweeter zone" than before.

However, with the rounded edges of the 'tron now more flush with the guard, they no longer have that contact and we now need some kind of adhesive to keep things on, although beveled screwholes and a proper attachment is now in order.

15. Dennis68

Dennis68 Tele-Holic

Welcome back! The pink tele is very cool. I like the clean look of the pickguard. You have a nice collection going there.

16. Bob Marlec

Bob Marlec Tele-Meister

Many thanks for your kind answer, Andi.
    Awesome things can be done by etching, of course from an awesome design.

My favorite design among moolon guitars is this one:

[​IMG]

And I think you have one of the best non-Fender headstock :

[​IMG]

Greetings
    Bob Marlec

17. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Ah, the Fledge. The wings of the Fledge is the only design that Moollon offers that isn't a take on some existing Korean design, and it does seem to be the more popular choice among Westerners in general.

Yeah, I wish I could claim fame to the designs and etchings, but I'm just the general manager who takes care of sales, daily answers squillions of email inquiries, and takes care of additional testing of the gear (more fun than I'll even suggest)...I certainly can't complain, all four of the guys on the team are really cool dudes who love what they do.

And the Moollon headstock....doesn't it remind you of a long beaked hawk of sorts? Sam the Eagle from the Muppet Show comes to mind.

18. RichardWitt

RichardWitt Tele-Afflicted

Welcome back guys!

Love that Tele! I'm warming to the idea of a pink Tele day by day and this just reinforces that! What a sweet collection you have going!

I bacame an instant fan of Moollon guitars a few weeks back here on the forum when someone posted a link to their site, very cool guitars indeed!
    Do they do custom orders at all? Say if I wanted just a plate that would cover the front of one of my Tele's???

You also mentioned that the two of you were working on pop/commercial songs, anything you could share like a Myspace link or something like that?

19. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in love with that pink Tele. I didn't even notice the missing pickup screws until somebody mentioned it, but the Filtertron, Jag bridge and F branded Bigsby are all some of my favorite elements. I love how the Vibrato takes up almost exactly the space from the lower edge of the body to the back of the bridge plate. That extra tab on the other B5 just leaves me kinda cold.

I wonder if you could hold that pickguard on with magnets without interrupting the pickup fields...

20. Telegazer

Telegazer Tele-Holic

Hello Richard.

Nice to hear from you as well. Every guitar is a custom job taking about 3 months to finish, and we never have had a single guitar in stock, just a few "demos" that get circulated among session guys and prospective local buyers.

We've indeed had a number of requests to sell just the aluminium alloy etched guards for guitars by themselves, but I'm afraid that the staff feels like they really would like to keep all elements that make the guitars what they are all unified in a single package, which I understand just the same. However, the option to have a custom etched plate on one's guitar is always an option for buyers, such as on my good friend Samhee Cho's Tele-shaped signature model:

[​IMG]

As far as come of our commerical music is concerned, We've done jingles, company logo songs, and office ringtones mostly for a few Korean holdings companies and more recently Lush U.K., and will probably be making a myspace page sooner than later to showcase some of the fun...Cheers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.