Presonus Studio 1 .4

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ping-ping-clicka, Sep 24, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

Is anyone here using studio 1?
    I'm moving from a twenty year jones using Reason.
    I am looking at Studio 1 for my next DAW

2. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

I had been using studio one. As I had said in a different thread I really wanted to like it. And I did. But I happened to give Reaper a second go and I am now a reaper convert.

I like the layout and the Kenny Gioa tutorials. Those are he primary things that did it for me.

Have to admit I actually thought reaper sounded better but I think that's all in my head as they are both digital.

Pretty sure there is a demo version of Studio One you can download for free. Good luck!

KC

3. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

Keep in mind that if you plan to use 3rd part plugins, you'll have to get the professional version.

ping-ping-clicka and KCKC like this.
  4. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

5. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

I use it. I overall like it. One huge nit is that some plugins have tiny resolution on high dpi monitors which play havoc with my aging eyes!

That nit also happens with Nik software in Photoshop so it is not just a problem with Studio One.

6. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

sometimes a problem is in the eye of the beholder...

LKB3rd, KCKC and Misty Mountain like this.
  7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I use Studio One V4... I've been using Studio one since it's v1 release.
    It's a great DAW.... with a very streamlined workflow.

Unless you need the project page (great for mastering and finalizing) and all the added loops/samples/demos... the pro version is not required. You can buy just the Artist Version and the 3rd party plugin add on for about half the cost.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  8. Misty Mountain

Yeah if plugins being totally useless because the font is so small and the interface is shrunken is your thing, then it is awesome. To me it is a bug.

9. magicfingers99

sometimes a problem is in the eye of the beholder...
    eye of the beholder is a pun, meaning as our vision diminishes, what was once comfortable, becomes fatiguing..

really if I'm going to have to explain every joke, you folks are going to have buy more drinks or this isn't going to work...

KCKC likes this.
  10. Misty Mountain

Mine was simply sarcasm to your pun... so perhaps you should go select a beverage of your choice.

KCKC likes this.
  11. magicfingers99

yet mine was funnier...

KCKC and Misty Mountain like this.
  12. Misty Mountain

Eye of the beholder...

KCKC likes this.
  13. SustainerPlayer

SustainerPlayer Tele-Meister

I've been using Studio One Professional since version 2 - now version 4. I switched from Cubase. Haven't regretted. Haven't looked back. I've made 20 releases since then.

14. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

thanks for the very useful information. I'm a plugin kind of guy,
    my newest box-puter has (output figure rated at 797 horsepower and 707 pound-feet of torque) or so it seems, so it eats up cpu heavy vst's like cracker jacks.
    I'm looking to run some Native Instruments synths, Rob Papen, Waves and EZ-Drummer 2.
    Ola Englund Did a cool little demo of of EZ Drummer 2 which has me drooling because of all the ways drum parts can be tweezed
    I usually use my DAW as an audio painting program re:difficult listening, noise, experimental, harsh ambient so the larger version fits the bill. My slide songs could get by easily with the lesser version.

15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Understand that PreSonus software is written primarily for PreSonus hardware. PreSonus is like the Chrysler Corp. of the 1980's & early 1990's: lots of great ideas and features, but falls short on performance in the real world, especially in the headroom dept.

16. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I use Studio One, and it works pretty well, once you figure out how to use it. I've made many recordings on it.

17. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

18. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

I've been with Cakewalk since '94 and have been on X3 since it released.

A few days ago I thought I would d/l the new free bandlab version just out of basic curiosity.
    I did have trouble d/l'ing it when using the Bandlab assistant online process.
    After 3/4 times it finally installed....don't know what the problem was but it kept repeating the download process rather than actually installing.

It has a similar look but I haven't really delved under the hood as of yet to compare it to X3.
    All various software DAW options have their place in the market and I'd always recommend Cakewalk to anyone.
    All have their learning curve so one must check out the demos and select one that has the GUI and work flow that suits them personally.

I'd say give Cakewalk a shot....carry on.

EDIT: user's reference link for the Free Cakewalk by Bandlab
    https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf

To find out how to add the new Reference Guide to your Utilities Menu go here:
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Adding-programs-to-the-SONAR-Utilities-Menu-a-new-tool-Updated-for-CbB-m3237117.asp

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Bartholomew3 likes this.
  19. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I use Studio One, and have had no issues like mentioned above, don't use Presonus Hardware, and it has worked great.
    No difficulties configuring on a Mac, no pops or issues at all. I used it on windows a while back, and ending up abandoning Windows shortly after haha. So I won't vouch for it on Winblows.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.