Presonus Faderport, anyone ?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by T Prior, Jan 25, 2020.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I recently acquired a single channel Presonus Faderport, 1st issue, anyone using one of these or the 8/16 channel Presonus surfaces ? Its pretty darn flexible. Speaks both HUI and Mackie By the way is with Pro Tools 12 which requires HUI.

Thoughts and opinions ?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. Splodgeness

Splodgeness Tele-Meister

I'm thinking of getting the 16 fader version to replace my ageing M-Audio Project Mix, so will follow this thread with interest.........

T Prior likes this.
  3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

One of those were on my list when looking at control surfaces. They seem to be pretty popular and have good reviews. The new ioStation interface/controller looks pretty cool too.

T Prior likes this.
  4. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

I have the Faderport v1 too, not using it as much as I thought I might.

I have a touchscreen monitor that I find works a little better with a DAW. However those 100mm faders are nice for setting levels.

T Prior likes this.
  5. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

I work faster with a mouse these days for drawing automation, but there are instances where I take a pass with my single channel faderport on a Guitar Solos, B3, Vocals and things that are fairly organic. No need to for multiple faders here anymore. Drag is in Pro Tools it doesn't automate certain aspects of a track, so I only use it for volumes mainly. Other DAWs might make more (or all) use of different automation lanes.

T Prior likes this.
  6. T Prior

I think its not a ONE THING does all accy, the value can be shared with the Mouse. I too like using the Mouse in many operations , It doesn't replace the mouse, its in addition to the mouse.

What I do like about the FADER is just that, the Fader ! And I like the pan KNOB.

I paid $90 for it used, I like that too ! :)

chillybilly likes this.
  7. SustainerPlayer

SustainerPlayer Tele-Meister

I had the first generation single channel one. Never really got to use it much.

I use a lot of keyboard short cuts and the magic pad does the rest for me. I ended up selling the faderport again.

chillybilly likes this.
  8. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

I have the 8 channel. It's good for mixing with more your ears and less with your eyes.

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I owned the first version single channel for a while. It integrated great with Studio One natively... so I never had to use the other modes.

It worked well... and did the job. But two problems eventually led me to trade it off.
    1. The rotary (pan) was very jumpy. I could never use it for any values. I should say... I thought the fader itself was very nice.
    2. I absolutely despised the HARD CLICK of the buttons. I wish they had been soft click. I don't know if they still make them that way or not with the later versions.
    When I traded it off I simply added a wireless USB number pad and assigned the controls I needed in the DAW to that. I don't have the slider or rotary, but when there is only ONE it's not something I consider a loss.

chillybilly likes this.
  10. chillybilly

chillybilly TDPRI Member

I bought one (single channel) and used it extensively but when I moved house I never reconnected it to my DAW. I occasionally miss it when punching in etc but mousing is, admittedly, a bit quicker especially when tweaking multiple tracks on the go.

I'd actually get more use out of a keyboard that had a numeric keypad (the expanded Apple keyboard) but haven't spent the $ yet.

11. T Prior

I should have mentioned that when I got it I plugged it in and the driver loaded immediately ( WIN7) I opened PT 12, set it up under peripherals, HUI and it worked with every session right out of the gate. The more I use it the more I like it for many of the Mouse operations.

Obviously the Fader
    Pan
    Transport

It can also be used for all of the Auto Fader settings

scrolling back and forth thru the various channels is a breeze and it AUTO sets to the last positions of each channel , Fader, Pan etc..

I don't think its a Mouse replacement but its certainly a very good addition TO the mouse .

Its a pretty kool and very friendly unit especially for $89 from the GC used site. I'm a small projects guy, it serves a nice purpose.

Obviously though for multiple channel mixes this single channel deal falls short !

IMG_9520.JPG

12. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

I have one. Liked it a lot but the motor for the fader quit last week. For now I’m using the Logic remote app on my iPad.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.