Presence/Depth

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by aaronftnm, May 19, 2015.

1. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

On an amp that is using negative feed back to control the presence could you change the capacitor value to make it control depth instead? I am asking because I think it would be cool to have a switch on a JCM800 to have a knob labeled contour and have a small switch next to it to switch between two capacitors, one value for depth and one value for presence.

2. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

In a tube amp the negative feedback is mostly there to keep the bass response from being too peaky.. Since the treble isn't as big a problem, the Presence control is excellent- it just removes less negative, so more positive gets amplified!

"Depth" is already a control name for tremolo (vibrato) and/or reverb.

Wouldn't a control that made a lack of presence need to be called "Absence" ?

3. aaronftnm

aaronftnm TDPRI Member

Well, on my Jet City 20h there is a mod to add a depth control. I did the mod, and its hard to correctly explain what it does, but it seems that you can control the "tightness" of the bass. It helps dial in the low end depending on the volume that you are playing at. It seems like the the JCM800 I just built uses the same idea, a pot with a capacitor attached, to achieve similar results with the high end. I could be missing a part of the larger picture though.

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.