1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pre's Rock

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, Apr 7, 2021.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've lived and worked since 1977 in Steve Prefontaine's hometown. I know several people who ran cross-country and track with him in high school.

Also, between business, college classes, and kids in high school sports events, I've worn a path between here and Eugene to where I could about make the drive in my sleep.

All those trips, and although I've heard about it many times I've never seen the memorial to Steve Prefontaine in Eugene, at the site of his tragic car accident.

IMG_20210406_112652573_HDR.jpg

We went up yesterday for my follow-up appointment with the hip surgeon, and drove up to see the spot. It's pretty touching.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Matt G, Tall-Fir, getbent and 4 others like this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Waaaaaaay cool. I remember watching him on television. Fun to watch. What reverence. Thanks for sharing.

Tall-Fir, Cali Dude and P Thought like this.
  3. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I was born (1970) in Prefontaine's hometown. My Uncle was the tow truck driver that hauled his wrecked car away. My Dad was a sprinter and loved track, a couple years older than Steve and talked about him a lot over the years. Been to that spot many times, lived right down the road in college. Spent a lot of time at Hendrix Park. He is a legend no doubt. It's amazing, 45 years after his death, he's still captured the heart of this town and far beyond.

Tall-Fir, getbent, BB and 1 other person like this.
  4. horsespatoot

horsespatoot Tele-Holic

That’s pretty cool. People leaving running shoes. I remember watching him run (i think at the Olympics) on Wide World of Sports.

Tall-Fir and P Thought like this.
  5. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

A giant in the world of USA track and field and, “far beyond”as Danb541 said above.

I remember exactly where I was in 1972 when Pre ran the 5,000 meters at the battle scarred Munich Olympics. And, if one was any kind of sports fan, chances are that person saw the race also, because the whole sports world was waiting in anticipation of that event. His challenge to the great Lassie Viren late in the race was absolutely mind numbing and heart stopping, and one of the most exciting moments I have lived through in my history of watching sports.

My twin brother was a student at the University of Oregon and watched Pre run many times at UO’s Friday Twilight all comers meets held in the Spring each year.

I humbly collected Pre gear which Nike designed and put out in his honor about 15 years ago. My Pre shirts and jacket have never been worn. They quietly hang in my closet in reverence to the great Steve Prefontaine. I guess I should display them in my surroundings somewhere.

Mary Marckx, (I think that is correct) was Pre’s college sweetheart. I went to grade school with her as she lived in our neighborhood. Pre used to run our neighborhood for workouts when they were together in Portland.

What a runner Pre was. He still remains a meaningful influence to many many runners as of today.

P Thought likes this.
  6. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

All comers meets, what a flashback for me. My sister and I were competing at those all comers meets at Hayward Field track meets as far back as I can remember. As really small kids.
    Please google Hayward field and look at the pictures of the new track. They had the first track meet at the new facility’s last weekend (I think). Atleast it’s the first time the duck teams has ran at home for close to 3 years.
    The track is epic, arguably the best in the world. I can’t wait to go and I haven’t been to a track meet in years.
    “Build it and they will come”
    It’s true evidently.

7. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

Yes I just googled Hayward Field. Looks wonderful and outstanding. Not having lived in Oregon for about 20 years, I had no idea that renovation was going on...

P Thought likes this.
  8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I added a link to his Wikipedia bio in post #1. Pretty remarkable story. I'm no runner, but the numbers are impressive.

There's a 10k run, "The Pre", here every September (2020 cancelled for virus though). It draws runners from all over the country every year.

Tall-Fir, Cali Dude and Danb541 like this.
  9. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Interesting your name is Tall Fir... is this because the very first College basketball national championship was won by the Oregon Ducks? Knows as the “tall
    Firs”?
    This can’t be a coincidence

10. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938–39_Oregon_Webfoots_men's_basketball_team

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My uncle, an Oregon Ducks alumni, took me to the Oakland Coisium to watch Dick Fosbury do his "flop", but Steve Prefontaine practically stole the event with a few near record breaking runs at different distances. A phenomena a year or two later at the Olympics. What were they drinking in Eugene in the late 60s?

Thanks Uncle Roy (RIP), you took me to the most memorable track event in my life and perhaps one of the best in history.

Danb541, Tall-Fir and P Thought like this.
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

That's really cool. I ran competitively in highschool and college. It's a great remembrance for a world class runner. Running gives such a great, natural, physical high. If I hadn't blown my knees out, I would still be running in my old age. BTW, good luck with the hip.

Danb541, Tall-Fir and P Thought like this.
  13. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

You nailed it Dan! Still proud to be a native Oregonian!
    Thanks for the Webfoots link.

P Thought and Danb541 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.