Prepping a new neck for finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by milocj, Aug 31, 2016.

1. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

So...I've sprayed lacquer no problem, and even painted a few trucks years ago, but this is the first time I've started with unfinished maple. My Musikraft necks came with some sort of sealer and finish up fine.

I know I need to finish sand to 320 and that I should use sanding sealer. Bought a quart at the hardware store that is lacquer based (PPG/Behlens I believe) and it says to brush or spray on.

Is there a preferred method for a specific reason or is it just whichever method you prefer? The neck has a rosewood board so there's going to be some masking involved. There's no mention on the can of thinning being required to spray, so I'd prefer just using a Preval for the sealer and not risk hard edges or runs along the masking if I were to use a brush.

Anything I'm missing? Thanks.

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

it really is whatever your are comfortable dealing with. I've gotten ultra clean coats from foam brushes and from spraying. Prep is key. Level the sealer and you'll be happier with the end result.

After looking at the site, that neck is ready to be lacquered according to the finish page. Scuff the current sealer w/ 400 and shoot some lacquer.

3. milocj

This was an older NAMM display neck, or something along those lines, that got sanding only...no sealer.

The pre-sealed necks I've dealt with before and one is still just sealer (a Musikaft Blackguard) that I completely assembled for fit and to test a Mare pickup. Even though the saddles can't go any lower and its on the verge of having action that's a touch too high for my preferences it sounds and feel so good I'm afraid to turn a screw on it.

Thanks for the rest of the info. Since it gets leveled, my main fear of brushing was having it get under any of the masking and onto the rosewood fretboard if it pooled along an edge of the tape while going with the first brush stroke.

4. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

You don't strictly have to use sealer, since lacquer is considered a "self sealing" finish (meaning it can act as its own sealer.) Most lacquer sanding sealers are just a higher-solids lacquer, sometimes with zinc stearate added to make it sand a little easier. You can start with sealer or go straight to lacquer, whichever you prefer.

Don't worry if some of it gets on the fretboard. Rosewood doesn't take finish well (it's very oily), so even if lacquer dries on it you can generally just scrape it right off. But you can also just dip a q-tip in lacquer thinner and rub it right off too. Most factories that spray lacquer aren't too precious about a little creeping under the masking tape because the lacquer can be removed very easily.

ckroenlein likes this.
  5. milocj

Thanks Cat.
    The aerosol lacquer worked great on the pre-sealed Musikraft necks, and aside from the headstock face and heel I don't want to put too much lacquer on this new neck (same way I sprayed the others). That still leaves a bit of sealer that feels more like wood when any lacquer wears off.

I happened across a can of lacquer sanding sealer at Home Depot and grabbed it. Gave it a test on several pairs of drumsticks and it went on great while seeming less sensitive to runs. Now I just need a warm enough day to shoot the neck. May as well use the less expensive stuff for the first couple of coats and save the can for the headstock and heel.

Thanks for the tip on the rosewood cleanup.

DrASATele and Cat MacKinnon like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.