Preping for Monday.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Early this morning I took the ribs out of the brine and dried them off. Then I liberally slathered them with a mixture of yellow mustard and creamed horseradish then fairly buried them in Kansas City style rub. They've been smoking at 225° for a couple of hours, being spritzed with Dr. Pepper every 20 minutes or so. In about an hour, I'll wrap them in foil for the next step, returning them to the smoker at the same temp for 2 hours.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Have the ribs wrapped and back in the smoker for a couple of hours. Then I'll unwrap them, coat them with sauce and put them back in for another hour, letting the sauce caramelize. For the rest of the meal, I have a fresh cantaloupe, potato salad, chips, jello salad and rolls with lots of butter.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
I watched a round table of ex-special operators this morning, talking about the men they served with who didn't make it home. The group included both Marcus and Morgan Luttrell. One thing they were asked was how they feel about people saying "happy Memorial Day" and if they found that disrespectful. To a man they said of course not. Their belief is that we should pick one or more fallen warriors to honor and throw a party with food, drink and AC/DC cranked up. That is what their friends fought and died for.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I watched a round table of ex-special operators this morning, talking about the men they served with who didn't make it home. The group included both Marcus and Morgan Luttrell. One thing they were asked was how they feel about people saying "happy Memorial Day" and if they found that disrespectful. To a man they said of course not. Their belief is that we should pick one or more fallen warriors to honor and throw a party with food, drink and AC/DC cranked up. That is what their friends fought and died for.

Amen brother, Amen.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
thinking of you guys , today! ( much respect for the fallen) so I slow BBQ'd 8 chicken thighs (225 F) , took them off the BBQ 2 min ago , could be dinner ,lunch, sandwiches , But I'm thinking rice and salad with them.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
The truth

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
The ribs proved to be excellent. The outdoor cooking proved to be a bit of a challenge, due to near record precipitation and tied for record cold. We even got another six inches of snow at Bogus Basin above town.

bogus snow.jpg

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The ribs proved to be excellent. The outdoor cooking proved to be a bit of a challenge, due to near record precipitation and tied for record cold. We even got another six inches of snow at Bogus Basin above town.
Where there is an appetite there is a way!

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I hope the field marshal and general get a nibble

Sounds delicious thank goodness there wasn’t a picture to spur on our rib dreams ;)

Edit: the internet tells me that bbq ribs might not be the best for cats :( shame they miss out on that delight

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
And I learned the proper way to diplay the flag on Memorial Day, accordng to the VA.
Raise it at dawn to half staff. Promptly at noon, raise it to full staff until dusk.
I’d never known that.
Don’t just raise it half way. At least that’s what I’ve always done from Boy Scouts to U.S. Navy. Raise full staff. Then lower to half

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Yesterday, my wife and I drove my 93-yr old mother to visit graves of my father, all four of my grandparents and one set of great-grandparents. It took all day, and I‘m glad we did it. My children, all adults, are clueless about doing something like this.

Over the years, I’ve visited the graves of all but two of my great-grandparents and most of my great-great grandparents, all in Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma. I pay a man to mow the cemetery where some of my Cherokee great-great grandparents and great-grandparents were interred in the 19th century, born in Georgia, died in Indian Territory.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
Yesterday, my wife and I drove my 93-yr old mother to visit graves of my father, all four of my grandparents and one set of great-grandparents. It took all day, and I‘m glad we did it. My children, all adults, are clueless about doing something like this.

Over the years, I’ve visited the graves of all but two of my great-grandparents and most of my great-great grandparents, all in Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma. I pay a man to mow the cemetery where some of my Cherokee great-great grandparents and great-grandparents were interred in the 19th century, born in Georgia, died in Indian Territory.

That's what I did Sunday as well. Spent the entire day taking my mother around to all the family Cemetaries located throughout the Treasure Valley. Lots of flowers, lots of flags, including a couple of small Confederate flags for ancestors who fought on the Southern side in the War of Northern Aggression.