1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Premier Guitar Mystery Stocking 2019

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by neilshane, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Stringsofdoom

Stringsofdoom TDPRI Member

No planet waves anything!?!!??..... im shocked

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was going to try this, but I had my final exam for Imaging II in X-ray school right when this was going on. Sounds like a dodged a $40 bullet from most of the posts here...

3. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mine just arrived. I got:

An ugly guitar strap;
    Two sets of 10-46 strings
    A Fender “Bullet” tuner
    Seven picks, of which two should be useful
    A lot of stickers and a Martin pencil.

The strings will be useful. The tuner uses tiny watch batteries which are expensive and have a short life. But hey, it’s my gambling for the year.

4. rabbitclaw

rabbitclaw NEW MEMBER!

Just got mine in as well, seems to follow the same theme as the others, a strap, fender bullet tuner, picks, strings and stickers. This was my second year and probably my last. It seems like the items they actually give out are all the promotional items they get from these companies throughout the year, I have heard of a few people getting pedals but never of anyone winning one of the guitars they promote. Not worth the price of admission for me again.

vid1900 likes this.
  5. brau

brau NEW MEMBER!

Well, just got my box delivered and this might be the last one I purchase. The last couple of years have not been great but, they contained truly useful stuff worth 50-60 bucks. This year the price was increased to 39.95 and my box contained the following with price of the item:

- One Brown D'addario Woven Guitar strap 19.95
    - CF Martin Retro Acoustic guitar strings - 4.00
    - DARCO Guitar Strings - 4.00
    - One Chicken pick - 9.00
    - GroverAllman Sampler Pick Pack (3 picks) - Unknown price as they don't sell 3 pick packs
    - Sinister Guitar picks Sampler pack with dogtag necklace - Unknown price
    - one Alembic 50th Anniversary sticker.

Adding up the prices that would be about $42 plus the unknown junk. That means The promise of having a total price at least equaling what you paid was met; however, basically unusable stuff. Last boxes I got at least one strap ans guitar strings. This makes another strap I don't need and guitar strings that are, to me, unsuitable t0 my needs. The Martin strings are 13-56. The DARCO strings are cheapos that i have to wonder if they will be used. the rest is picks and who doesn't have a box full of picks.

The saving grace is the Alembic sticker - Alembic, a guitar/bass I wish I could afford.

BC

vid1900 likes this.
  6. Stringsofdoom

Stringsofdoom TDPRI Member

Looks pretty bleak lol my box o rocks is due anytime now i can almost hear my postman kicking it down the street :D
    Still somewhat kinda sorta really overly excited but hey won 20 on a 2 scratcher a cpl min ago so fingers crossed :lol:

gregulator450 and cat dude like this.
  7. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Those Swedish bass pedals are top-notch... especially if you play bass. haha! I tried an EBS bass OD on guitar once and was pleasantly surprised.

8. gregulator450

Wow, this is EXACTLY what I got, except the strings were DR Veritas and Cleartone acoustic strings

9. gregulator450

My buddy and I both got almost identical boxes o' crap... Our D'Addario straps were the same model but different colors, we got the Alembic stickers, each got a chicken pick, Grover Allman 3 pack, the Sinister picks package (note to Sinister: rebranded Tortex picks do NOT constitute "the most unique picks on the planet" or whatever the hell you say your picks are), and one pack each of electric and acoustic guitar strings. I got DR Veritas electric strings- I don't care for DR's, and Cleartone acoustic strings. Kinda pumped to try those.

I would REALLY like to hear of someone getting a killer pedal, amp, or guitar.

10. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

Same here!!

11. neilshane

neilshane Tele-Meister

I play bass. How much you want for it!?

12. robmclark

robmclark TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

Yikes. Mine is arriving today and I'll let you all know. I got a thalium pedal last time so it was worth it. I will be bummed if I get what you did.

gregulator450 and Stringsofdoom like this.
  13. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Those site problems seem to happen most years and are unfair and frustrating. I used to participate every year and never will again because it's just a hot mess and something of an insult to participants that it doesn't work right, or as described. I'm glad that latecomers got in as the processing permitted access, but obviously that's not the first-come system that was presented. I've gotten three boxes, and while I guess the price of the items exceeded what I paid, noting included, such as strings, a strap, and various small parts, was actually what I use or usable by me. I gave the stuff to kids I know who play, so that's all for the good. But I've always looked at it as gambling the entry fee in the hopes of getting one of the really excellent items, and of course that's unlikely, so no regerts.

gregulator450 and Stringsofdoom like this.
  14. gregulator450

I will say this: I am simply grateful that I got the opportunity to participate, and I'm not going to ***** about not getting a killer guitar or amp. To be frank, it bothers me a bit when people pay in $40 to the PG Lottery and throw a fit about not scoring a sweet guitar or amp that would otherwise set somebody back a couple G's.

It was a crap shoot at best going in, and I should be able to get at least some of my money back by funneling the strings through my tech customers. That said, I would like to hear more awesome success stories and see some people sharing about the cool pedals or more expensive gear they got. It's like a little sunshine to see players get something cool and usable that they otherwise wouldn't afford for themselves.

Stringsofdoom likes this.
  15. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I got a box of crap. At least last year’s strap was usable, this one is butt ugly. I’m out.

vid1900 likes this.
  16. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yup - msrp to get "value" for strings, stickers & branded Tees

I saved $40 (what a bargain!) this year, too!

17. gonzaleg165

gonzaleg165 TDPRI Member

Got mine. I got the aforementioned box of rocks: strings, funky strap, bullet tuner, various picks, stickers, and the Pièce de résistance - the Martin Guitars pencil!

I’m not gonna’ complain. It adds up to just over $40, and it was all for fun anyway. If you expected all kinds of wildness, then you’re not playing correctly.

neilshane and gregulator450 like this.
  18. rutledj

rutledj TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Got mine. Actually worth more than $40 but nothing I'll use.
    Angeltone 52T Tele bridge pickup
    DR Veritas
    Chris Campbell Custom Shop XL t-shirt
    Couple of stickers.

Maybe the pu will be worth $40 on Ebay.

Stringsofdoom likes this.
  19. rmjdees

rmjdees TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

You guys all got better boxes than I did. At least you can use the strings and give away the straps. Last year my wife and I got them. They were pretty much identical, several sets of strings, picks, tuners - all usable at least.

A bottle of guitar polish and a coupon for a guitar plugin. It's worth $79 if you use computer plugins. No strings, nothing else.

neilshane and gregulator450 like this.
  20. J-PPP

J-PPP TDPRI Member

Someone on TGP got an UA OX Amp Top Box.

gregulator450 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.