Premier Guitar Article about Vox Pathfinder 15r

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
I've never played through one, and with all the hoopla, now prices will be even more, so even less likely to find a deal.

JDRNoPro

Friend of Leo's
I've had a couple of P15R's and still have the one I bought right before production stopped. I'll echo the praise for this simple SS amp.

I had always read that one should not use the boost feature on these amps.......but...... about 10 years ago I came up with settings with the boost engaged that work great for me. They are very close to what is outlined in the article. :)

goonie

Friend of Leo's
My son and I both have one. It was his first amp, about ten years ago, and I was getting back into playing at about the same time, liked his, so bought one too. Since then, both of us have gone steadily 'upmarket', as guitarists tend to do, and we play our expensive valve amps. My Pathfinder sits neglected in a corner while my son loaned his to a friend. Don't think I'll be selling mine, as it's nice to be part of the 'club'.

DFB1

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Mine has a few rips in the tolex,and some corner braces on it. It still sounds great,and is not going anywhere.

richey88

Friend of Leo's
Mine has a few rips in the tolex,and some corner braces on it. It still sounds great,and is not going anywhere.

Mine too (torn tolex), but it simply will not quit. Glad to read Mr. Carroll likes his too. Bought mine new ($115) and wish i woulda bought three of them....

DFB1

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I sold one off 10 years ago and regretted it.
Glad I got this one before the prices went up. Paid $140.

tidalcast

Tele-Meister
I just bought one of these to add to my small collection of amps, and it's a killer. I can't see this leaving now that I have it. It sounds absolutely massive through a 112 cabinet, to the point that I'm tempted to track down a second one to cut down into a head just for that.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My Pathfinder 15R is now one of my 2-3 main gig amps now, as I'm playing low-moderate volume gigs in a few
R&R/blues/Country trios.

I just love it! The 8" speaker is fine for me ( mine is actually from a Cambridge 15 amp that died).

I just prefer to keep Vox portable as is, so no ext.cab- I just use larger combo amp if I need one.

I use mine ( Gain boost OFF) with an always ON Blues Driver, which besides giving me breakup, increases overall amp volume too; I just control clean <>dirty with guitar Volume knob.

A miracle amp, for me!

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
Been spying many of the threads about the Pathfinder 15r (model v9168R) -- although I don't own one -- yet.

Anyhow, here is a link to the Vox Showroom that gives the 'under the hood' look at the 15r.
It seems the audio amp IC is the TDA2030 (same audio op-amp used in many Fender SS 'practice' type amps). Also, the speaker is a fairly common upgrade item on those as well.

Also, the Cambridge 15 (V9169) sports the 12ax7-based preamp. I always had a favorable impression of the hybrid (tube preamp, SS power section) amps from Vox, although, I don't recall hearing that particular model any time recently.
(No affiliation, just wanted to include an information reference)

Last edited:

Moonraker5

Tele-Meister
Only us lucky ones who bought a Pathfinder15R back in the day truly know what glorious amps we have and others do not.

"We happy few. We band of brothers."

1651596584859.png

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
Ah. Thanks for the reply. I knew about the speaker size, tremolo, and reverb, but hoped there were some similarities in the overall circuitry. I'll steer clear if it's as impotent as you say.

It's an alright amp for what it is (and like you say very cheap) I bought a used one locally for £30, it's small, lightweight and works for me in situations that I want that. (carrying it down the road for a bit of a jam with a mate in his lounge for example)

It's not a terrible amp, just not the same. ... and not something I would gig with.

CCK1

Tele-Afflicted
Tim gets massive, but unique sounds from this little amp and a Les Paul. If you’re ever in Nashville, on Friday evenings at 6-6:30, he has the “Rock ‘n Roll Happy Hour” at the Five Spot. No admission charge, great music, and cheap drinks. It’s a good time!!

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Dude, that is so dope. I'm a little jealous.

Doesn't get too trebly with the Tele?
This is embarrassing but I've hardly used it. My friend Joe who plays mandolin borrowed it and has been using it ever since. Joe has been a pro musician his whole life so his opinion is important to me. We get together weekly in a band and he sounds great so I'm not complaining. He likes to use a little of the tremolo to fatten up his sound and it works. I guess since it's not too trebly with a mandolin it will be fine with a Tele.

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
Been spying many of the threads about the Pathfinder 15r (model v9168R) -- although I don't own one -- yet.

Anyhow, here is a link to the Vox Showroom that gives the 'under the hood' look at the 15r.
It seems the audio amp IC is the TDA2030 (same audio op-amp used in many Fender SS 'practice' type amps). Also, the speaker is a fairly common upgrade item on those as well.

Also, the Cambridge 15 (V9169) sports the 12ax7-based preamp. I always had a favorable impression of the hybrid (tube preamp, SS power section) amps from Vox, although, I don't recall hearing that particular model any time recently.
(No affiliation, just wanted to include an information reference)
The Cambridge 15 is great and I prefer it over the two PF15Rs I went through, but only slightly.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Dude, that is so dope. I'm a little jealous.

Doesn't get too trebly with the Tele?

I've been using mine ( the PF15R w/8" from Cambridge 15) in small R&R/blues trio gigs, with a new Squier '69 Tele Thinline.

I think things sound great! There is a bit of midrange and a 'harmonic chewiness' with a Tele ( same finding, when I owned a heavy MIM Tele that I sold, to get Thinline) that I don't get with a Fender ( nothing wrong with my Fender, just a more Smile face EQ- less mids)

I think you really get that British Invasion jangle with a Tele> Pathfinder with bridge PU; and good clear R&B/blues tones with other pickup settings- (I'm a pretty clean player, even w/ OD ON all the time)