Preferred OD pedal with a bit more drive than a Klon Cone

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Cali Dude, Aug 30, 2020.

1. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

There is NO BETTER Tube Screamer (OD) pedal than the "Green" Ibanez pedals of yor (Old).

Whether it's an original, mid life or accurate reissuse in a new case still:

Ibenez Pedals.jpg

The ONLY thing that is equal, maybe even a bit better, is the one that started it all, an original 1978 hand wired "breadboard" "ProCo Rat" that was made in the companies Kalamazoo MI garage. Called "Distortion", it was really an Over Drive.

The Rat orig vintage top sml.jpg
    The Rat open small.jpg

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

It's mostly cause this is non-trivial to get right and the answers are never that helpful considering the # of variables that affect the choices.

It's always:

" I like this pedal... " and then the person writing the answer doesn't include "for my rig which has a different guitar and different amp than you!".

It doesn't help that so often the person asking the question doesn't bother to include details on their guitar + amp combo.

Cali Dude, blowtorch and MilwMark like this.
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think you can never really answer this question without knowing:

- What is the guitar? (Though I think this is actually not always critical unless maybe comparing single coil vs humbucker)
    - What is the amp?
    - What kind of EQ response does the amp have? (Scoopy American? Tweed? Mid-heavy British? Does it have excessive bass?)
    - Are you trying to use the pedal to get dirt in front of the amp clean?
    - Are you trying to use the pedal to boost the amp on the edge?
    - Are you trying to use the pedal to tighten up the amp setup in a fully saturated high gain config?

The threads about Overdrives are so bad it's taken me years personally to get a handle on it.

If you get a Fender blackface amp that seems to be the shortcut... so many people have that kind of amp that the random recommendations have the best chance of working if you have a blackface amp.

If the Amp has a scooped EQ tone:
    - Mid Focused or flat drives if the amp is clean, avoid scooped EQ drives
    - If the amp is on the edge Mid focused or flat can work
    - If it's cranked mid focused is probably better

If the amp has lots of mids:
    - Flat EQ drives will work better if the amp is clean, avoid mid focused
    - If the amp is on the edge either can work
    - If the amp is cranked stick with mid focused

That's my impression.

chris m., Cali Dude and MilwMark like this.
  4. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Caline Orange Burst (BB Preamp)
    Caline Pure Sky (Timmy)
    Joyo Sweet Baby (Mad Professor Sweet Honey)

Each of these are around $30 - try them all or even combine a few. They all stack nicely.

kevsonic, Rocky058 and Cali Dude like this.
  5. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Thanks, I have had a TS9 for 28 years. I used it a lot for a good decade, but don't like how it covers the natural sound of the guitar especially, and the amp for that matter. I appreciate the suggestion.

6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Good point. My goal is to get anything from 60s blues rock 70s to 80s rock sounds. I run different amps depending upon the situation. I actually stated this earlier in the thread. THD bivalve outside gigs, or DRRI or tweed Harvard indoor gigs. Run amps to breakup, and clean up with volume, extra OD with Archer, and fuzz with Lovepedal 200lbs. Idea was for OD pedal with more drive than Archer. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

7. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Thanks for the great reply. I gave some of the info on #86 post. Always running amps at breakup, and clean up with the volume controls of guitars. Guitars are USA Hamersunburst with Lollar Imperial HBs, USA signature Buddy Guy strat(lace gold with 25db midboost), or G&L Asat Z-3. Playing 60s blues rock,70s-80s rock and some country. Amps : THD bivalve, or DRRI or tweed harvard for smaller gigs. Often use attenuators. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

My guess is you might need two pedals and maybe the stack approach would work?

Are you trying to build one pedal board that can work with all combinations of your amps + guitars?

The DRRI is mid-scooped, the Tweed Harvard is not right? And the Bi-Valve is a chameleon that can be a bunch of different things?

I'd probably look for one pedal that is mid-focused and one that's flat or scooped and then adjust the knobs depending on which amp you're hooking up.

Cali Dude and chris m. like this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I agree two pedals are better than one. You can use one pedal, the other pedal, or both together. Of course, there are two-in-one pedals like Jekyll/Hyde that can give you two sounds. One downside to a two-in-one is usually the pedal order is fixed. If they are separate pedals you have the option of changing the pedal order depending on the amp you are using. In my experience when stacking pedals the dominant tone is whichever pedal is closest to the amp. So if you have a mid-focused amp and a mid-scooped amp, you might put the mid-hump pedal last in the chain when using your mid-scooped amp, and you might try the more neutral EQ drive pedal last in the chain if you are using your mid focused amp.

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

This little yellow drive is pretty amazing and affordable.

DOD Preamp 250

kevsonic and Cali Dude like this.
  11. hj ayala

hj ayala NEW MEMBER!

HI.

IF YOU LIKE your sound, & you are just looking for more girt, put a booster before your Klone. It's sounds amazing.

Cali Dude likes this.
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

So get 2 Klon clones? What do you use?

13. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

I'm a huge Lovepedal fan. I'd say the Box Of Awesome might be the ticket here.

Kalamazoo side has more gain than a klone but offers a similar character and cut. Has the Glass treble boost plus a regular Tone; this allows very responsive fine tuning of your highs.

OD11 side delivers boost/grit/grind without altering the overall voicing much (although it also offers Low and High tone knobs).

Two sides, each great on their own and downright epic when combined.
    There's an order switch to allow choosing which comes first in line.

Importantly, like the 200lbs Of Gold, the BOA sounds great through many different amps.
    And it stacks incredibly well with any pedals I've tried it into.

I would part with all my other OD pedals before giving up the BOA.

Cali Dude likes this.
  14. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Having read through all your posts, what sound youre looking for, amps youre using, etc,

I think there are several things that might make sense, to stack with your clone

some of these I suggested before.

Rat style. I like the Mudhoney YMMV

Boss SD-1, assymetrical whatever that means clipping makes it brighter than a TS, which I like for leads but not rhythm YMMV

another clone

Timmy --doesn't color the tone much

EP boost

A Marshall in a box pedal

which one would do it for you?

You never know until you try

good luck

Askwhy and Cali Dude like this.
  15. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister

Petty John Iron. Overpriced I guess, but it floats my boat.

Cali Dude likes this.
  16. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Cool, thanks. I will check it out.

17. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I'm late, but the Tone Nation by Big Knob Pedals is klon-based, but to my ears higher gain.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing it! Plus the "guitar+cord+amp" comment on page 3 of a thread in the Pedal Effects Owner's Club. Priceless stuff!

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

I’m sure someone’s recommended it already but the Morning Glory is probably my all time favorite low-medium gain OD pedal. Just sounds great and works well with humbuckers and single coils.

20. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Boss SD-1 Waza Craft or just the regular one stacks really well with the archer. I have both (and an Archer), the SD-1 Waza Craft gives you another voicing (Custom?) besides the Standard and is a less noisy than the regular SD-1. They both go from almost a clean boost to growl, with SD-1w having an even wider range when switched to a C mode.

[​IMG]

kevsonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.