1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Precat Lacquer

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Collin D Plonker, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Has anyone else seen good results with precatalyzed lacquer? I ordered it my mistake on my last build and was astonished at the cure time and quality. I used Mohawk brand in a rattle can ordered from Amazon. I used the semigloss last time, going for a matte. It came out really nice and was cured overnight.

I did research on it, and apparently cabinet makers love it because they can ship the same day they spray. I also saw Texas Toast guitars use it in a video.

Of course, the finish doesn't age like nitro, so no yellowing or that annoying feeling of lacquer balls on the fretting hand that don't stick to your hand but still make you wipe it on your pants.

What is your experience with this kind of lacquer. I'd really like your opinion.

Dereksys38 and Boreas like this.
  2. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No experience, but would love to see your results! Pix, pix, pix!

Dereksys38 likes this.
  3. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

I used the Mohawk pre-cat in rattlecans on the first couple of builds.

It works excellent :).

I think it works just as well as the Sherwin Williams Lovac that I've been spraying more recently.

The SW stuff is cheaper because I buy it by the gallon, but I can't say that I can see any difference between it and the Mohawk pre-cat in the finished product. Mohawk rattlecans are actually pretty cheap too, especially compared to other spray can lacquers.

I still keep a few cans of the Mohawk stuff on hand for when I don't feel like screwing around with the spray rig.

The "pre-catalyzed" part is nothing to be concerned with; as I understand, it's just a mild acid that helps the lacquer harden up quicker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.